Time Xpro 12 vs Shimano Dura Ace pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

mattr wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:27 pm
Yeah, the Equipe Mags were a bit taller than the Titan mags (which is what i had) Greg Lemond signature edition IIRC, after his TDF victory, late 86, early 87 at a guess.
Quite a common upgrade to pop the steel axles into the titan mag bodies, as the Ti axles of the time were a bit bendy. (not an issue for me at 8 stone wet through)

And i'm still rocking Impacts and RXS pedals, so brass cleat cams and almost limitless lifespan (and low stack height) so i've done little other than play with the later models, may upgrade if my finances settle down this year (remortgaging the house on your own puts a big hole in your bank balance!) , i need a new bike as well........ which might be the ideal opportunity to upgrade.
If you had LeMond signature edition Time pedals that probably would have been '89 at the earliest. In '86 and '87 he was riding Look pedals, as La Vie Claire's major material sponsor was Look. He did ride with Time pedals in 1988 when he was on the PDM team but I don't imagine his lack of results that year would have inspired Time to market a LeMond styled model, though I could be wrong.

mattr

by mattr

You could well be right. I had to double check which years he won TDF (but not which pedals he was using at the time) as they referenced a TDF win on the box (and the pedals).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well there ya go... you were one step away from winning Le Tour yourself if you bought pedals with a reference to a TDF win on the box, no matter when. At least by today's marketing standards. Yet some people try to pretend that consumer choices are completely unaffected by what the pros ride. If that were the case, there would be no sponsors.
Last edited by Calnago on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mattr

by mattr

No, i got them to get the float, that wasn't available on anything else at the time. The MKS mapstage and Looks i'd been running up to then were beginning to cause issues.
The other alternative was going back to clips, straps and cleats.

The LeMond reference was just for timing purposes! As above, probably 1989.

i peaked a couple of divisions below the tour de france.............

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

For the price of the two pedals discussed, xpedo thrust sl and sl ti are in the ballpark. I have a set on order.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@mattr: Right you are, same here... well I really didn’t know squat about clipless pedals back then... I got mine as a first foray into clipless pedals. And they looked pretty cool. And the float thing seemed like a good idea.
Sounds like you were far more successful on yours than I was on mine. I fell off my first ride next to a curb and scraped my brand new Campy Chorus crank all up. Lol. I still have those cranks. Ah... memories.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mattr

by mattr

Yeah. My last clipless driven tumble was actually on the MKS pedals.

They really were horrific.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I’ve used every model of Time pedals and would say the original Titan Mag were the best, the wide platform just gave so much stability. The bearings were smooth but the cleats limited shoe choices unless you bought an adapter. I’m riding with Expresso pedals currently, the main issues I have are the bushes creating play on the axle and the sharp edges. My cleates are due for a change now after many km’s. I love the float of Time pedals, your foot moves into a more natural position and allows this with regard to any discrepancies from left to right legs.

I had the Shimano Dura-Ace pedals and everything is great about them except one thing. The cleat float sucks, it doesn’t really feel like float at all? It’s more like cleats at their near end death and have worn out, a litte bit of lateral float up front and a less than useful pivot at the back.

I’ve purchased a set of Xpro’s so I’m hoping the bearing quality is improved as I’ve been hearing it has. IMO Shimano’s are just better versions of LOOK’s.

kgt

by kgt

IME xpro are an evolution of the xpresso in a good way. Do not expect DA quality bearings but certainly they are better.

petert123

by petert123

Wingnut wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:03 pm
I’ve used every model of Time pedals and would say the original Titan Mag were the best, the wide platform just gave so much stability. The bearings were smooth but the cleats limited shoe choices unless you bought an adapter. I’m riding with Expresso pedals currently, the main issues I have are the bushes creating play on the axle and the sharp edges. My cleates are due for a change now after many km’s. I love the float of Time pedals, your foot moves into a more natural position and allows this with regard to any discrepancies from left to right legs.

I’ve purchased a set of Xpro’s so I’m hoping the bearing quality is improved as I’ve been hearing it has. IMO Shimano’s are just better versions of LOOK’s.
Totally. I''ll try and dig up a picture but I loved my pedals, with matching shoes.

I do hope the Xpro's are better ? After 25+ years I've switched over the winter to trying Speedplay's, because there was always play in the bearings - I've tried all the models until now, up to and including the 15's.

ipaul

by ipaul

I recently tried a set of the Xpro 10’s. Not sure others have noticed or had issues, but the interface with the front of the cleat seems off? I would feel the front tip of the cleat “slap” up against the hook portion when I pulled up. Tried two sets of shoes and cleats, same issue. Never felt this on my Xpresso. When looking at closely to me, there seems to be some bow to the pedals front and a gap between the interface. Didn’t get to far in them to evaluate bearing wear or feel as I ended up returning them. Anyone else noticing this? May try a new set to see if problem was just bad luck.
:P

mortirolo

by mortirolo

I haven't Xpro 12, but:

Weight:
My xpresso 12 is 158g (with bearings) (154g with original bushing)
cleat 2x32g=64g
steel factory bolts 6x3=18g (too long for my DMT shoes, so I use shorter and lighter)

Lower stack height (center of pedal axle to bottom of the sole) 13.5mm vs. DA 13.7mm
TIME: about 5.3mm (height of cleat) +Xmm (center of pedal axle to bottom of the cleat)

Cleat durability and "walking stack height":
It's a pedal system for road cyling not for walking or running.
I bought CLEATSKINS, so I still use my first cleats...

bearing quality:
TIME use NTN bearings...

resting position of TIME pedals:
Center of the gravity:
Very close to the center of the axle, so You need very precise preload adjusting (with NTN bearings too).
I made it, but SHIMANO win.

Noise: I've never had a peep or a squeak out of my (clean) TIME pedals.

Iclic is the best pedal closure system.

Flot: TIME's the best.

TIME's are the best for a ww road bike. End of story.
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

petosagan

by petosagan

I have both.
Xpresso very light.
Look good

Dura ace.. very strong.
Better cleats
Heavier

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

If you want skating rink smooth type float, get the TIME. For everything else, Shimano. Don’t know where the quoted above 13.7mm stack height for Dura ace came from but it’s wrong. DA stack height is 8mm and change (<9mm). Cleat stack is noticeably lower too. Walkability far superior with DA. Cleats last longer. Very stable. Unless you jump directly on your bike as soon as you put on your shoes, and never get off your bike during a ride to go to the bathroom, have a break, go in some cafe for lunch, you will appreciate how easy the Shimano cleats are to walk in.
Caveat... I believe the cleats for the Xpro12’s are the same as for the XPro10, but not sure. I’ve used the Expressos and the XPro10’s in addition to the Dura Ace.

mattr

by mattr

Calnago wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:20 am
Don’t know where the quoted above 13.7mm stack height for Dura ace came from but it’s wrong. DA stack height is 8mm and change (<9mm).
We've had this discussion before. Dura ace stack is 13 odd mm. According to shimano.

Unless you ride without cleats.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com