2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pedalbasher

by pedalbasher

So my SL6 disc has been built up. Went for the acid mint colourway, initially because it was on sale but soon convinced myself that I love it. It's probably a marmite bike but love it or hate it, it definitely catches the eye.

Now, the build is far from WW for a couple of reasons: (1) this is my road race bike so there are a few necessary compromises to aero and robustness; and (2) many of the components were swapped over from my outgoing Aeroad (I could only justify the frame upgrade on this basis and don't have the budget or inclination to start the build from scratch).

However, I was still pretty surprised to see the scales hit 7.60kg for the bike (including pedals and bottle cages). Build spec as follows - haven't listed everything but this gives you a pretty good idea.

S-Works Tarmac SL6 disc, size 54
Full Etap 22 groupset including Exogram chainrings
Quarq GXP carbon PM
Zipp 404 Firecrest clinchers, Conti GP4000Sii tyres and Conti Racelight inners
Dura Ace 9000 pedals
S-Works SL stem, 110m 6 deg
Enve SES v2 bars, size 40
Prologo carbon railed saddle
Elite Vico carbon bottle cages

Like I say, there are obviously a few relatively heavy parts on there, particularly the wheels which I think come in at c.1750g. But even with that spec, doesn't 7.60kg seem a bit on the heavy side? I was probably expecting something in the 7.0-7.2 range to be honest.

I've no doubt it's a fast bike which is the priority for my racing, and I love the aesthetics.... but just curious if I'm right to be a bit confused about the weight.

Proper test ride coming up this week ahead of a 2-day stage race this weekend :)
Attachments
20190315_163600(0).jpg
20190315_164322.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

pedalbasher wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:11 pm
So my SL6 disc has been built up. Went for the acid mint colourway, initially because it was on sale but soon convinced myself that I love it. It's probably a marmite bike but love it or hate it, it definitely catches the eye.

Now, the build is far from WW for a couple of reasons: (1) this is my road race bike so there are a few necessary compromises to aero and robustness; and (2) many of the components were swapped over from my outgoing Aeroad (I could only justify the frame upgrade on this basis and don't have the budget or inclination to start the build from scratch).

However, I was still pretty surprised to see the scales hit 7.60kg for the bike (including pedals and bottle cages). Build spec as follows - haven't listed everything but this gives you a pretty good idea.

S-Works Tarmac SL6 disc, size 54
Full Etap 22 groupset including Exogram chainrings
Quarq GXP carbon PM
Zipp 404 Firecrest clinchers, Conti GP4000Sii tyres and Conti Racelight inners
Dura Ace 9000 pedals
S-Works SL stem, 110m 6 deg
Enve SES v2 bars, size 40
Prologo carbon railed saddle
Elite Vico carbon bottle cages

Like I say, there are obviously a few relatively heavy parts on there, particularly the wheels which I think come in at c.1750g. But even with that spec, doesn't 7.60kg seem a bit on the heavy side? I was probably expecting something in the 7.0-7.2 range to be honest.

I've no doubt it's a fast bike which is the priority for my racing, and I love the aesthetics.... but just curious if I'm right to be a bit confused about the weight.

Proper test ride coming up this week ahead of a 2-day stage race this weekend :)
Could it be that the paintjob adds some ~200g? I think you could have been at your target weight with much lighter wheels and matte black frame.

To be honest I don’t think you have much room for improvement without spending boatloads of $$$.

pedalbasher

by pedalbasher

Yeah the paint job probably adds a fair bit and yes the wheels are clearly heavy. Not particularly interested in spending to get the weight down, I know it's a great race set-up as it is, just wondered if I was being daft/had unrealistic expectations about the scales.

scale29

by scale29

I have the same Acid Mint in a 58. I’m at 7.2kg the spec is CLX32 wheels, Fizik R1 finishing kit, SWorks chainset, Ultegra 8070 Shifters and mechs.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I'd try and calibrate your scales. 7.6kg is very heavy for a bike that should be low 7s.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

pedalbasher

by pedalbasher

Hmm. Shop scales (Park Tools) actually read higher, putting at almost 7.8 fully built. My own scales (also Park Tools) put it at 7.60.

Not sure what is going on.

Praxis conversion BB weighs c. 130g, forgot about that.

Wish I'd weighed the frameset first!

Kabu

by Kabu

pedalbasher wrote:
...Like I say, there are obviously a few relatively heavy parts on there, particularly the wheels which I think come in at c.1750g. But even with that spec, doesn't 7.60kg seem a bit on the heavy side?
Nice Bike!

Just out of interest, weight your complete wheelset.
My CLX50s weight;
1394g Roval CLX50 Rear incl. DA 11-28 Casette, DA Disc, Sworks Turbo Cotton, Sworks Tube, RimTape
1088g Roval CLX50 Front incl. DA Disc, Sworks Turbo Cotton, Sworks Tube, RimTape

Total 2482g

My S-Works Tarmac Disc SL6 Satin Black/Silver Holo size 58 comes pretty much 7.0kg flat incl. DA pedals, Tune Bottlecage, Garmin mount.

extremejetfighter

by extremejetfighter

pedalbasher wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:55 pm
Kabu wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:17 pm
pedalbasher wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:04 pm
Also, does anyone know the bolt pitch (distance centre-to-centre between the bolts) on an S-Works SL stem? I've ordered the stem, and want to order one of these Fetha Garmin mounts - https://www.fetha.com.au/product-page/a ... late-mount

Unless anyone has a better suggestion for an out-front mount that will attach to an S-Works SL stem? :)
The bolt pitch of S-Works SL stem is 24mm.

I ended up getting F3 Form Mount, as I was not able to get hold of anything better. I really do not like it. Very fiddly to get properly installed and I'm not 100% sure I have my bots up to right torque.
https://www.f3cycling.com/formmount
Thanks. Sounds like the F3 is best avoided. Has anyone tried the Fetha?
Yes I have the Fetha on my SL6. I wanted the screen horizontal, not in the plane of the stem so specified that over email when I ordered. They have a few different designs, so I made sure to get the one that can be tilted down (to allow it to be horizontal). No complaints in terms of function, it's been solid and helps OCD, however I believe it was 10-20 grams heavier than the stock plastic type mounts that come with wahoo or garmin.

sychen

by sychen

I also use a F3 form mount.. Yes it's fiddly to setup but it's fiddlyness is due to its adaptability to most front bolted stems.

No issues with stem clamp even changing to new bars though.

I need a gopro mount for light / cam...fetha doesn't offer this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

pedalbasher

by pedalbasher

Kabu wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:54 pm
pedalbasher wrote:
...Like I say, there are obviously a few relatively heavy parts on there, particularly the wheels which I think come in at c.1750g. But even with that spec, doesn't 7.60kg seem a bit on the heavy side?
Nice Bike!

Just out of interest, weight your complete wheelset.
My CLX50s weight;
1394g Roval CLX50 Rear incl. DA 11-28 Casette, DA Disc, Sworks Turbo Cotton, Sworks Tube, RimTape
1088g Roval CLX50 Front incl. DA Disc, Sworks Turbo Cotton, Sworks Tube, RimTape

Total 2482g

My S-Works Tarmac Disc SL6 Satin Black/Silver Holo size 58 comes pretty much 7.0kg flat incl. DA pedals, Tune Bottlecage, Garmin mount.
Took the wheels off last night, upgraded the tubes and tyres ahead of my race this weekend, and weighed them up:

1522g - Zipp 404 FC clincher rear incl. Sram XG-1150 cassette (11-28), Red/etap disc, GP5000S tyre, Vittoria latex tube, oh sh*t I forgot rim tape.
1228g - Zipp 404 FC clincher front incl. Red/etap disc, GP5000S tyre, Vittoria latex tube, oh sh*t I forgot rim tape.

Total 2750g.

So that's about 270g in the wheels vs your CLX50s. Maybe 200g paint job. 130g BB adapter. i.e. 600g right there.

I re-weighed the complete bike and it's now coming in at 7.55kg, which is kind of explained if you take into account the wheels, paint and BB.

pedalbasher

by pedalbasher

extremejetfighter wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:50 am
pedalbasher wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:55 pm
Kabu wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:17 pm
pedalbasher wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:04 pm
Also, does anyone know the bolt pitch (distance centre-to-centre between the bolts) on an S-Works SL stem? I've ordered the stem, and want to order one of these Fetha Garmin mounts - https://www.fetha.com.au/product-page/a ... late-mount

Unless anyone has a better suggestion for an out-front mount that will attach to an S-Works SL stem? :)
The bolt pitch of S-Works SL stem is 24mm.

I ended up getting F3 Form Mount, as I was not able to get hold of anything better. I really do not like it. Very fiddly to get properly installed and I'm not 100% sure I have my bots up to right torque.
https://www.f3cycling.com/formmount
Thanks. Sounds like the F3 is best avoided. Has anyone tried the Fetha?
Yes I have the Fetha on my SL6. I wanted the screen horizontal, not in the plane of the stem so specified that over email when I ordered. They have a few different designs, so I made sure to get the one that can be tilted down (to allow it to be horizontal). No complaints in terms of function, it's been solid and helps OCD, however I believe it was 10-20 grams heavier than the stock plastic type mounts that come with wahoo or garmin.

Thanks. Do you have the S-Works SL stem? If so, do you remember what the "Bolt Pitch Size" is? Did you go for the "Slim adjustable aluminium mount"?

teckert

by teckert

@pedalbasher, I just ordered and installed the fetha mount on s-works stem. I chose to go with the slim version, the negative angle was not a need of mine, just the front/back to get it tighter to stem faceplate. 23mm bolt thread pitch, installation super easy.

Jugi

by Jugi

sychen wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:04 am
I also use a F3 form mount.. Yes it's fiddly to setup but it's fiddlyness is due to its adaptability to most front bolted stems.
I have a F3 Form mount as well and in my opinion the only downside is lack of angle adjustment for the cradle. It doesn’t bother me as I like to have my stems level to ground, but it would definetly be an issue if I had a typical 6° stem on a 71° head tube.

In my experience best practice for installing the Form mount has been to tighten all stems bolts in combination as far as some resistance starts to build. Then continue tightening the mount’s attaching bolts, taking the last of the slack off. Make sure those two are close to even tension, and then torque the other two to spec. End result should be all bolts evenly tightened and close to proper torque.

PaulH

by PaulH

With over 1100 posts on this thread who has created the lightest build as I’d like to try and mimic it. Weights seem to vary from mid 6 up to just over 7. Am I right in saying the black is the lightest frame to start with ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scale29

by scale29

Black is the only one without paint, so is always gonna be the lightest option. I think black is dull however so I gave up 200g to get a colour.