Emonda ALR Frame set weight Black vs Purple flip?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cDaero

by cDaero

Any fellow nerds know the weight difference between the Black and Purple FLip Emonda ALR frames?

I'm very close to just getting the purple and starting a WW build but if the black is much less paint/weight....well then I have no choice.

Current Build is ready to assemble once I get the Frame
Aeolus XXX 2's
Etap 11sp
KMC x11 nitride
Bontrager Speedstop Pro's
Quarq dzero 110bcd
Rings TBD
Rotor 11-28 cassette
XXX integrated bar
Jagwire Link brake cables
Sworks power saddle 143mm
schwalbe pro one 25s tubeless

Curious which expander everyone is using for treks as Ive read theyre heavy. Pardon my ignorance here, as I've been a specialzied guy and have recently swapped to Trek
Last edited by cDaero on Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cDaero

by cDaero

I'd also settle for anyone who owns the black frame weighing in on the finish. Looks to be matte and a thin coat of paint. It could be wishful thinking

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Do you work at a Trek shop?

cDaero

by cDaero

Negative

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I think they’re all painted black then painted with the final coat. My purple ALR and Checkpoint SL have black undercoats. Feel the lettering in the main logo

cDaero

by cDaero

I wouldn't doubt it. Im hoping someone has definitive answer. Im anxious to get this build going and start posting progress photos

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Dude, the weight difference won’t be outside production variances, you’ll need to weigh 30 of each color. If you care that much, strip the paint and run it bare.

flying

by flying

Get the color you like best

Really paint vs even anodized is only 100gr
Get the color you like

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I believe they both run alu steerer forks - if you really want to cut the weight of either of them over anything more than just paint (which is likely to be negligible and/or vary by frame), swap the fork out for a full carbon one from the higher end Emonda.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

RichTheRoadie wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:50 am
I believe they both run alu steerer forks - if you really want to cut the weight of either of them over anything more than just paint (which is likely to be negligible and/or vary by frame), swap the fork out for a full carbon one from the higher end Emonda.
The full bikes come with alloy steerers, but the framesets (only available select markets - sadly not Australia or the UK) come with a full carbon steerer.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... t/p/23613/

I'd love to do a purple build from a frameset, but it's a bummer in Australia that even if I stripped the full bike I'd only get the alloy steerer version.

cDaero

by cDaero

jfranci3 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:15 pm
Dude, the weight difference won’t be outside production variances, you’ll need to weigh 30 of each color. If you care that much, strip the paint and run it bare.
Do you know this for a fact? My 2019 Venge in matte black is well over 100gr lighter than the Purple model just like it. Considering that we're on a weight weenie forum and the amount of money it cost to drop say 100 grams or more on a lighter saddle, pedals, cassette, etc than I have slated for this build, I think it's a relevant question. I'm considering this option a "free" weight reduction if I dont have a color preference to begin with. If you've looked, the black appears to either be a thin matte paint or ano black vs the purple flip which is multiple coats and clear (I think).
raisinberry777 wrote:
RichTheRoadie wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:50 am
The full bikes come with alloy steerers, but the framesets (only available select markets - sadly not Australia or the UK) come with a full carbon steerer.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... t/p/23613/

I'd love to do a purple build from a frameset, but it's a bummer in Australia that even if I stripped the full bike I'd only get the alloy steerer version.
Thankfully I'm in the US and I also noticed that while doing some research.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Youre not going to find a relible answer within 100gr as production process variances, production run changes, scale accuracy, weighing methodology (full steerer, how many spacers?, are in the cage bolts in, deraileur hanger), etc are all going to have that much of varaibility. Trying to find the 0 people in the world who have weighed both is a fools errand. You would need to order both if you can, take them both out of the box, and return one of them. THe purple color probably has 2 additional coats on it over the matte, maybe find a Purple Flip weight online, order the black, and if it's lighter keep it.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

WW or not. 100 grams shouldn’t hold you back for the frame you really want…

ccache

by ccache

56cm "Purple Flip" with the steerer cut slammed

trek emonda alr5 frame 1200g (including hanger/port cover)
trek emonda alr5 fork 408g (including expander)
trek seat collar 21g
fsa integrated headset 60g

Also the fork is alloy steerer. So just used the stock star nut.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

I think there’s a simple answer to this: the black frame is likely to be lighter than the purple frame. As a weight weenie, what more do you need to know? ;)

It’s unlikely that the black frame is anodized. Welded aluminum frames often use a different alloy for the filler rod than for the tubes, and different alloys look different after anodizing, even in the same bath under the same conditions. Anodization used to be a somewhat popular finish for aluminum frames, but those frames were welded with filler rod that “matched” the frame tubes. When the filler rod isn’t matched to the tubes that way, the anodization ends up highlighting the weld fillets in an unflattering way.

Still, the black frame is likely lighter than the purple one.