Significant drop in HR

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

Hi all

My use of HR declined when I got my first power meter. There was a short time of overlap where I used both, but for the most part of the last year or so I've been riding just with power.

Sadly now by PM has broken so I've been putting the chest strap back on, just as a way of measuring and controlling my easy days on the bike.

However, what's most notable is that my max HR and threshold HR seem to be around 25bpm lower than when I was last using my HRM (1 year ago).

I've checked my HRM by manually counting RHR and it seems to work fine. Have I forgotten how to suffer? Could a change in diet/fitness/fatigue be playing a part?

I'm a bit worried because even my biggest climbing efforts produce a HR only just over what was my threshold 12 months ago
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I may be mistaken as I am not the most knowledgeable guy here, but it may very well be reflecting an improvement in fitness altogether. I am way the heck out of shape now and trying to get back in better fitness using power, a trainer, structured work outs with intervals, etc. First thing I noticed compared to 2 years ago is how high my HR is compared to when I was in much better shape. My resting HR has considerably improved, but my HR at low effort and threshhold is about 15+ more than what it used to be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

Of course, I'd like to assume that the HR drop is a result of building strength but given that I've done no structured training in the last 12 months, this seems unlikely. I suppose the easiest (but most expensive) way to answer this question is to get a new power meter....... I've been measuring my RHR and HRV and have been pleasantly surprised by the results of these, but unfortunately I didn't collect this data 1 year ago so I have nothing to compare it to
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

osw000

by osw000

I think it's a good idea to still tracking HR even though you train by power. HR still gives you info about physiological stress, recovery, possible illness, rate changes...

AJS914

by AJS914

I wish my HR was 25 beats lower when riding at threshold! Have you accurately tested your threshold lately?

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:01 pm
I wish my HR was 25 beats lower when riding at threshold! Have you accurately tested your threshold lately?
I haven't tested yet but I've made an educated guess based on RPE. The point is that my HR may be 25bpm lower, but im still totally flat out at that lower bpm and can't seem to push it any higher. If my power numbers show that I'm making the same power as usual but with lower HR then I would be over the moon but I don't think that's the case. And if it is I will have no idea how it happened since I haven't been doing much training.......unless all the growth hormone and EPO I've been using is actually working :mrgreen:
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

AJS914

by AJS914

Often low heart rate is a sign of over training. Or maybe you are coming down with a virus or something?

If you haven't been overdoing it then maybe it's just a sign of being a bit out of shape?

3Pio

by 3Pio

onemanpeloton wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:20 pm
Hi all

My use of HR declined when I got my first power meter. There was a short time of overlap where I used both, but for the most part of the last year or so I've been riding just with power.

Sadly now by PM has broken so I've been putting the chest strap back on, just as a way of measuring and controlling my easy days on the bike.

However, what's most notable is that my max HR and threshold HR seem to be around 25bpm lower than when I was last using my HRM (1 year ago).

I've checked my HRM by manually counting RHR and it seems to work fine. Have I forgotten how to suffer? Could a change in diet/fitness/fatigue be playing a part?

I'm a bit worried because even my biggest climbing efforts produce a HR only just over what was my threshold 12 months ago
I use Power Meter, but did not ditch my HR strap as well, so watch them both..

When im overtrained there is signs based on my HR: My resting HR is not low enough, and my hard efforts are Low HR and not going high....

When im rested and in good shape: My resting HR is low, when i push really hard my HR also goes up, but very fast goes down again...

Maybe u are overtrained or not rested properly....Or maybe sign of ilness? (i realized when im ill, also low HR)

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

my resting HR and HRV are good. I don't have data from these 2 things to compare to 2 months ago but there's no sign of over training. And I think being out of shape would manifest in higher HR for a given effort rather than lower.

Illness is a possibility I suppose but no other symptoms as of yet!
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

AJS914

by AJS914

How do you track HRV? I was just reading about it and looking into the HRV4Training iOS app.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:52 pm
How do you track HRV? I was just reading about it and looking into the HRV4Training iOS app.
I'm using the EliteHRV app with a wahoo tickr. Still building up a baseline but hoping it will help me plan my easy/hard days since I commute most days
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm thinking of trying HRV4Training because I already have an Apple watch so the net cost to try it out is only $10.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

You are probably already aware of what I am going to tell you but I will say it anyway, when I get into my season with harder efforts more frequently I notice my max HR is about 10-15 beats lower than what it would be when I am fresh. The more days I do back to back lowers my HR a few more beats which I normally take into account when doing intervals or extended climbs. I always use the power meter for the most part but when I do my base its usually by HR. I know many factors affect HR- outside temperatures, fatigue, stress and illness. Nowadays when I see big HR values I am typically surprised.
I was also just looking at HRV which is new to me but might be something I look at closer. Cardiac Drift is also something that I measure with HR and PM for comparison to see if my base is at a point that I can move into the next phase of training.
Personally I would rather train by PM and go by feel for my next hard training efforts.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

LouisN

by LouisN

IMO it's random to conclude anything with the data you have.
It's like apples and oranges.
To make some relevant theories you would have to compare your HR for same efforts ( measured in watts)..

LOuis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:40 am
You are probably already aware of what I am going to tell you but I will say it anyway, when I get into my season with harder efforts more frequently I notice my max HR is about 10-15 beats lower than what it would be when I am fresh. The more days I do back to back lowers my HR a few more beats which I normally take into account when doing intervals or extended climbs. I always use the power meter for the most part but when I do my base its usually by HR. I know many factors affect HR- outside temperatures, fatigue, stress and illness. Nowadays when I see big HR values I am typically surprised.
I was also just looking at HRV which is new to me but might be something I look at closer. Cardiac Drift is also something that I measure with HR and PM for comparison to see if my base is at a point that I can move into the next phase of training.
Personally I would rather train by PM and go by feel for my next hard training efforts.
That's interesting actually. I would've thought that, assuming there wasn't any issues such as illness, that a lack of form would just result in lower power for the same HR, and not lower overall HR.
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL