New Continental 5000s tires - the CLINCHER (not TL) thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TheRich

by TheRich

RocketRacing wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:36 pm
And he said with data what i always figured was the case!!!!

“If you want to go as fast as possible, choose your required comfort level and pick the smallest tire that can provide that comfort for you”

Or, for the same comfort level, all tires have the same crr. Give or take i am sure.

But at high speeds, aero is worse with wider tires (low speeds also, but less so).

I will also add my typical criticism of BRR tests in that he runs 94lbs per tire, and fenerally too high a pressure. So he is testing for a 190lbs rider. Fair, but at 130lbs, i can get away for a far smaller tire, and far lower pressure for needed comfort/rim safety.

23c for the win!!! (For me)
What's the weight distribution on a road bike? 60% on the rear tire? That assumes a 160lb rider.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

TheRich wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:25 am
RocketRacing wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:36 pm
And he said with data what i always figured was the case!!!!

“If you want to go as fast as possible, choose your required comfort level and pick the smallest tire that can provide that comfort for you”

Or, for the same comfort level, all tires have the same crr. Give or take i am sure.

But at high speeds, aero is worse with wider tires (low speeds also, but less so).

I will also add my typical criticism of BRR tests in that he runs 94lbs per tire, and fenerally too high a pressure. So he is testing for a 190lbs rider. Fair, but at 130lbs, i can get away for a far smaller tire, and far lower pressure for needed comfort/rim safety.

23c for the win!!! (For me)
What's the weight distribution on a road bike? 60% on the rear tire? That assumes a 160lb rider.
What is the bike, and what rider position are we evaluating?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

robertbb wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:59 am
On what internal rim size? (what wheelset?)
here, my tires measurement :
viewtopic.php?f=113&t=136995&start=75#p1446820
Also confirmed by multiple places,
BRR's GP5000 25c measurements found here:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... comparison
are also just a bit wider than 4000sII 23c here:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... i-23-25-28
RocketRacing wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:57 am
What is the bike, and what rider position are we evaluating?
40/60 front/rear is about ballpark of normal weight distribution of road racing position on flat.
TT where you lean elbow on top of the bar can be around 45/55.
Of course, no one simply pump front tire just enough to support normal cruising position, but instead, everyone pump them harder to support extra load when you brake, corner, descend etc where more weight is supported by front wheel. Extreme braking can put 100% of the weight on front wheel, for example.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

My pair of 25mm 5000 clinchers arrived.

Weights are 218 and 226g for an average of 222g:

Imagemeaning of payton girl

They measured 25.5mm when first mounted on my Boras (17mm internal) and then 26.1mm after an 80km ride.

Cheers
GJ

robertbb

by robertbb

Gearjunkie wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:22 am
My pair of 25mm 5000 clinchers arrived.

Weights are 218 and 226g for an average of 222g:

They measured 25.5mm when first mounted on my Boras (17mm internal) and then 26.1mm after an 80km ride.

Cheers
GJ
Thanks! Are you satisfied width is adequate to protect your rim on rougher pavement with some extreme cornering?

Also what tyres are you coming from and how would you compare these?

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Hey.

Too early to tell really. I need to do more riding on them before I can pass judgement.

Very early indications are that they seem very similar to the 23 mm GP4000s2 (my 5000's are 25mm) that I have been running for years.

Maybe feel a little faster but maybe that's psychological.

Grip in the dry seems identical, haven't ridden them in the wet yet.

They do seem to make a different sound as they roll over the pavement. Very quiet and not the same but sort of similar to the sound a carbon disc wheel makes.

But as I say, need more time on these before I can make any meaningful comments.
Last edited by Gearjunkie on Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Double post. 😕

dim

by dim

Gearjunkie wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:26 am
Hey.

Too early to tell really. I need to do more riding on them before I can pass judgement.

Very early indications are that they seem very similar to the 23 mm GP4000s2 (my 5000's are 25mm) that I have been running for years.

Maybe feel a little faster but maybe that's psychological.

Grip in the dry seems identical, haven't ridden them in the wet yet.

They do seem to make a different sound as they roll over the pavement. Very quiet and not the same but sort of similar to the sound a carbon disc wheel makes.

But as I say, need more time on these before I can make any meaningful comments.
Early days, but so far, I like them ...

mine are pumped fairly hard at 80psi rear, and 75 psi front and they ride very nice ... mine are on the HED Belgium Plus rims and my 25's measure approx 28mm wide... I will experiment with pressure over the next few days

The sound is very similar to the sound I had riding IRC RBCC tubeless tyres ....

Time will tell if they are better than my favourite tyres (Specialized Turbo Cotton with lightweight butyl tubes)

I was worried about fitting them from posts that I have read, but as previously mentioned, it was easy fitting them on the HED Belgium Plus rims by hand and no levers were needed (I think that the HED Belgium Plus rims are a bit smaller in overall diameter (I think the rim section is shorter, hence HED's recomendation to use the narrower Koolstop brake pads, but I may be wrong?)...

I will still try the new Vittoria tubeless aswell
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Rode with a friend yesterday with the new non tubeless 5000’s, 25mm. He likes them and says he can tell the difference over his previous 4000sii’s. Before he put them on I tired mounting them on some older Campy Neutrons I have. It was a no go. I went with the Turbo Cottons (tan wall, 24mm) and while also difficult to mount (any tire is on these rims), the turbo cottons felt nicer, more supple in the hand than the 5000’s.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

rides4beer

by rides4beer

First ride today on the 25mm GP5000s, love em!! They measured at 27.1mm on my 21c rims. Pumped them to 85/95psi and they ride and handle much better than my 23mm GP4Ks at 95/110psi. Had no problems mounting them, didn't even need a lever. Definitely an improvement.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Oops, I forgot to say, probably because it was a non issue.

I had no trouble at all mounting clincher 25mm 5000's to Boras.

No levers, didn't really even need much thumb grunt.

robertbb

by robertbb

Curious to know how the 28mm clinchers measure up on the 17mm Bora Clinchers, compared with the 25mm ones.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The 28mm measures 27.8mm on the Bora @85psi after a few weeks. And the 28mm measures 30.2mm on Hed Belgium Plus @100psi after a few weeks.

robertbb

by robertbb

Thanks pdlpsher1!

So on 17c rims (e.g current Bora):

25mm GP5000's measure: 26.1 (after 80k ride)
28mm GP5000's measure: 27.8mm @ 85psi (after a few weeks)

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Not sure if it's placebo or anything, but my rear tire GP5000 slip a little bit more often than GP Force III i used before...
Any verification that their grip is not worse than GP4000sII ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com