201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

raggi wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:27 am
Sent a message to Specialized and asked them;

"Thank you for contacting Specialized!
The answer of your question is both yes and no.
First production, (pre september 2018) is not compatible with DI2 routing.
Production from september 2018 is compatible with Di2 routing, (added internal cable routing ports)"

I specifically mentioned the rim brake framsets in the question, so I can only assume the newer batch of those has the routing.. Time to contact my dealer and try to figure out which one I'll be getting.
As I've mentioned in this thread before, there are ways of getting Di2 run semi-internally on the Sprint without drilling and still have it come out looking pretty good. You need to be handy with a soldering iron, and you have to get some of Shimano's external Di2 tape, but that's what I did with mine.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:46 pm
raggi wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:27 am
Sent a message to Specialized and asked them;

"Thank you for contacting Specialized!
The answer of your question is both yes and no.
First production, (pre september 2018) is not compatible with DI2 routing.
Production from september 2018 is compatible with Di2 routing, (added internal cable routing ports)"

I specifically mentioned the rim brake framsets in the question, so I can only assume the newer batch of those has the routing.. Time to contact my dealer and try to figure out which one I'll be getting.
As I've mentioned in this thread before, there are ways of getting Di2 run semi-internally on the Sprint without drilling and still have it come out looking pretty good. You need to be handy with a soldering iron, and you have to get some of Shimano's external Di2 tape, but that's what I did with mine.
My bike only required a single hole drilled, it was for the front derailluer. IIRC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcorn

by dcorn

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Just a comment about the soldering. Don't most Di2 bikes have holes big enough for the connectors, then have grommets that go in the holes to fit perfectly around the wire? I don't see the added benefit of cutting and soldering the wires unless you are just crazy about having only tiny holes in the frame or not wanting to use any grommets. :noidea:

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Sock3t wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:57 pm
My bike only required a single hole drilled, it was for the front derailluer. IIRC
Most peopl have to drill out the hole on the rear dropout from the chainstay as well.
dcorn wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:21 pm
Just a comment about the soldering. Don't most Di2 bikes have holes big enough for the connectors, then have grommets that go in the holes to fit perfectly around the wire? I don't see the added benefit of cutting and soldering the wires unless you are just crazy about having only tiny holes in the frame or not wanting to use any grommets. :noidea:
The Di2 cable ends are too big to fit through the mechanical cable stop at the bottom of the downtube. As I was routing the Di2 cables without voiding the warranty, I cut the ends off of the Di2 cables going to the FD and RD, rand them up through the cable stops, and spliced them back to gether with the cables pulled out the head tube. I put the B-junction in the downtube, the Ant+/BT transmitter in the top tube, and ran the cable to the A-junction out the same hole as the rear brake housing. I got covers for the upper downtube holes from a Roubaix.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

AyBee

by AyBee

Looks like the bottom headset bearing has gone on my Allez Sprint - is this replaceable myself? Seem to remember it being a bit of a proprietary component annoyingly? Doesn't even look like I can add some more grease to the existing bearing?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

AyBee wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:13 pm
Looks like the bottom headset bearing has gone on my Allez Sprint - is this replaceable myself? Seem to remember it being a bit of a proprietary component annoyingly? Doesn't even look like I can add some more grease to the existing bearing?
Mine started getting a bit sticky back in the fall and I looked into it a little bit. Apparently it is a standard size bearing, but it is pressed in and will need to be knocked out and you’ll need a bearing press to get the new one in.

I was able to salvage mine by taking the dust seal off the bottom, cleaning it out really good with some short shots of WD40, and re-packing it with fresh grease.

Might be worth a try.

livestrong1986

by livestrong1986

my new frameset

raggi

by raggi

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuREPIlAJUh ... 19zqocktn8

(sorry, still on the internal Di2 routing)
On pic 3 of the RD it looks like there's a cable opening at the end of the chain stay, right?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

It's not a proper opening and needs a ticklewith a file but it's where most people run the rear di2 cable. Drill downtube in front of the mech hanger and file a slit into the brake grommet for the cable to sit in.
Using Tapatalk

dcorn

by dcorn

Wow, I don't even remember them making a torch edition Allez. Looks awesome!

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Double 808 is an awesome look. So keen to get a replacement frame and try these out. Image
Using Tapatalk

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

dcorn wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:24 pm
Wow, I don't even remember them making a torch edition Allez. Looks awesome!
It was sold as a complete with 105.
danridesbikes wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:26 pm
Really nice bike... proper build. I'm anxious to see your thoguhts on the tires, long-term. I rode them as TT tires and they are certainly fast, but IMO, not suited at all for a general riding tire. The grip is not very good in the wet and they are extremely thin and flat-prone.

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

Sock3t wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:54 am
Funny tailwhip the saddle has but otherwise absolutely stunning bike!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com