Lightweight wheels on aero bike: defeats purpose?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

christiancew

by christiancew

Guys,
Recently bought an Orbea Orca Aero M20 Team 2018. Comes with Vision Comp 35 alloy wheels.

Now shopping for carbon rims and found a pair of Roval CLX 32 wheels for a decent price.

Was wondering how those would fare together because these are not as deep as I was looking for. I am not that experienced with bike gear and haven't ridden carbon wheels (yet). Another thing that worries me is that looks wise these narrower rims don't appeal to me as much.

Is upgrading worth it or should I wait for a pair of deeper section wheels? Do the Roval CLX 32s make that wonderful carbon wheels whoosh sound?

Thanks guys

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Honestly and realistically speaking, get the ones you like and look best to you. Won’t make any difference.

If it was me, I’d wait and get some much deeper rims if you live in relatively flat ground. Otherwise it won’t make any difference at.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ofcourse the CLX32's will be a rather good upgrade to the alloy that came stock....but if they are not what you are looking for ? why bother? Define decent price?
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

AJS914

by AJS914

If the whoosh sound is the most important thing to you then get deeper wheels that look correct.

Do modern deep wheels even whoosh anymore? My 50mm Farsports wheels don't seem to make any exceptional sounds.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

There are no rules, so it does not matter. However, if it were me i would go with aero wheels on that bike.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

tonytourist wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:03 am
Or:
https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php
or maybe this one..except it more politics then anything else these days
https://forums.roadbikereview.com/forum.php
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

hannawald

by hannawald

As for the functionality it depends on your average speed..but lookwise you should go deeper:) there are tons of pictures on google so you can see yourself that the bike looks really much nicer with deeper wheels. I would go around 50mm so you have something universal..

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

christiancew wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:56 am
Guys,
Recently bought an Orbea Orca Aero M20 Team 2018. Comes with Vision Comp 35 alloy wheels.

Now shopping for carbon rims and found a pair of Roval CLX 32 wheels for a decent price.

Was wondering how those would fare together because these are not as deep as I was looking for. I am not that experienced with bike gear and haven't ridden carbon wheels (yet). Another thing that worries me is that looks wise these narrower rims don't appeal to me as much.

Is upgrading worth it or should I wait for a pair of deeper section wheels? Do the Roval CLX 32s make that wonderful carbon wheels whoosh sound?

Thanks guys
If you look for an "aero effect" talking wheels, you should know that the front wheel has the most effect.
Part from that, if aero is the thing, you should look for aero specific wheels and those would most likely be minimum 50mm.
Probably closer to 60 + mm. Read aero wheels tests....
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

The Roval wheels would definitely be a step up compared to stock... they'd certainly be lighter, which you will feel and I'd be willing to bet that they're actually more aero than the Visions, but probably not by a substantial enough amount that you'd be able to discern a difference on he road. In terms of looks, the 30-35mm wheel will probably look too thin on an aero bike. I agree with everyone above, you want to look for 50-60mm wheels... depending your weight and the locl conditions where you ride, 60's will probably be fine, unless you're light or its very windy... if it is, drp down to 50's.

bilwit

by bilwit

Aero-specific bikes like the Orca Aero would look a little funny with 30-40mm rims IMO. Go 50-60mm. You may be forgiven with a shallower front-only for weather purposes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

bilwit wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:37 pm
Aero-specific bikes like the Orca Aero would look a little funny with 30-40mm rims IMO. Go 50-60mm. You may be forgiven with a shallower front-only for weather purposes.
i agreed.. i tried my friends DA C40 tubular on my TM02 and it looks handicapped compared to my current Reynolds Aero 46 + 72 rear.