Power meter for Campagnolo SR 2014

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Thanos

by Thanos

I have pre-2015 Super Record, so 5 bolts. I'm looking for a non-pedal based compatible power meter.

I have the Rotor InPower on my Gravel bike, and would prefer a crank or spider based PM.

Would appreciate any advice and recommendations.

Cheers, Thanos.Image

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

If you're looking to use your existing chainrings I was also going to suggest the original 5-bolt Power2Max Type S, but after checking their website it appears they have run out of the compact BCD version. Your rings will not fit the 135mm standard version which is still available.

Were you to consider moving on to the later 4-bolt Type S then this is an excellent unit (I have a couple myself since 2016) and very good value now at €1099 including new chainrings. Obviously this allows the use of either compact or standard rings as per all the 2015+ Campag chainsets. SRM's version is another superb option but significantly more costly.

Assuming you're only considering a new PM and discounting buying used, your only other option would be a Stages Generation 3 Campag arm which is available in Chorus, Record and SR versions. I would avoid the Gen 2 - I had one and it started under reading and eating batteries when it got wet; the Gen 3 though has been on my winter bike for months and proven to be absolutely reliable and consistent thus far.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

If you're willing to pay.. here's a brand new 5 bolt SRM Campy from ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SRM-Campagnolo ... :rk:3:pf:0

AJS914

by AJS914

You can also just buy a Rotor crankset like you have on your gravel bike. For spider based power a non-Campagnolo option will be the cheapest.

A cheaper Campagnolo option would be the Potenza crankset with a Pioneer power meter.

SchallUndRauch

by SchallUndRauch

PowerPod :)

Thanos

by Thanos

ParisCarbon wrote:If you're willing to pay.. here's a brand new 5 bolt SRM Campy from ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SRM-Campagnolo ... :rk:3:pf:0
Thanks, but I'm compact 50/34. And it's a bit too expensive for me.

Thanos

by Thanos

Mockenrue wrote:If you're looking to use your existing chainrings I was also going to suggest the original 5-bolt Power2Max Type S, but after checking their website it appears they have run out of the compact BCD version. Your rings will not fit the 135mm standard version which is still available.

Were you to consider moving on to the later 4-bolt Type S then this is an excellent unit (I have a couple myself since 2016) and very good value now at €1099 including new chainrings. Obviously this allows the use of either compact or standard rings as per all the 2015+ Campag chainsets. SRM's version is another superb option but significantly more costly.

Assuming you're only considering a new PM and discounting buying used, your only other option would be a Stages Generation 3 Campag arm which is available in Chorus, Record and SR versions. I would avoid the Gen 2 - I had one and it started under reading and eating batteries when it got wet; the Gen 3 though has been on my winter bike for months and proven to be absolutely reliable and consistent thus far.
So the Stages G3 L Super Record would be compatible? I just wasn't sure if it was 2015 11sp and new 12sp only. If that is the case, then this may be easiest, and left side only would be the same as my Rotor InPower.

kervelo

by kervelo

Power2Max also has this special offer: team Movistar Campagnolo crankset.
https://www.power2max.com/en/product/ng ... m-edition/

Thanos

by Thanos

Thanks, but isn't that 4 bolt and I'd need 5 bolt 110 BCD.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Thanos wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:43 am
So the Stages G3 L Super Record would be compatible? I just wasn't sure if it was 2015 11sp and new 12sp only. If that is the case, then this may be easiest, and left side only would be the same as my Rotor InPower.

Yes, the 11sp version would be compatible with your existing crank. The spindles are the same type.

Thanos

by Thanos

Mockenrue wrote:
Thanos wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:43 am

Yes, the 11sp version would be compatible with your existing crank. The spindles are the same type.
Thank you, I wasn't sure, so really appreciate you confirming this. I've seen a good deal on this, I might go for it.

c60rider

by c60rider

The stages power meters are totally compatible with pre and post 2015 chainsets but my experience of a stages G2 is that it was total garbage with figures all over the place. And that was compared to 2 different P2Ms (Type S and NG) that I could attach to the same bike at the same time. Obviously the stages went back for refund. I don't know if the G3 is any better but personally I'd spend the bit extra to get the P2M every time.

Miller

by Miller

Why not a pedal-based PM? There are good options without hassle.

Thanos

by Thanos

Miller wrote:Why not a pedal-based PM? There are good options without hassle.
I ride Time pedals, I think Shimano and Look based pedals are works of the devil.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com