Fenders on disc CX bike without eyelets?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattr

by mattr

joejack951 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:48 pm
I guess I'm wondering then why you assume these aren't coated in some way. Mine have a gold anodization.
Yours are, the last ones i had hold of, weren't. Just boggo aluminium strip.
Edit: Further digging looks like they were zinc passivated. The gold on yours could be cadmium plating, if they are that old, which is a lot better. And pretty much illegal now.

Multebear

by Multebear

Back on topic. How do you install fenders on the front fork, when there’s no eyelets on the frame?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calleking

by calleking

I use SKS Raceblade Pro XL's on my Specialized Crux. I have modified them with an ass saver front and rear for extra protection. Takes a only a few seconds to put them on/off.
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

mattr

by mattr

I've used a compression plug in to the bottom of an open crown.
Quite a lot of forks have a small hole in the bottom of the crown as well, I've used that as a mounting point as well, either using a rivnut or nut from the top side.
The eyelets at the dropouts, just use pclips again.

Multebear

by Multebear

mattr wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:53 am
I've used a compression plug in to the bottom of an open crown.
Quite a lot of forks have a small hole in the bottom of the crown as well, I've used that as a mounting point as well, either using a rivnut or nut from the top side.
The eyelets at the dropouts, just use pclips again.
Do you have some pics of this setup?

mattr

by mattr

Afraid not.
The last bike of my own that i did it on was sold a few years ago and anything I've done recently has been customers/friends bikes. So i don't have them to hand.

Multebear

by Multebear

mattr wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:50 pm
Afraid not.
The last bike of my own that i did it on was sold a few years ago and anything I've done recently has been customers/friends bikes. So i don't have them to hand.
Thanks. Unfortunately my fork is completely sealed. No options for installing a compression plug over the tire.

Miller

by Miller

Multebear wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:04 am
Back on topic. How do you install fenders on the front fork, when there’s no eyelets on the frame?
Here's how I did it a few years ago. There were two zipties at the top of the fork onto the mounting tab on the mudguard (fender). Stays were held by zipties onto the fork legs. This setup was surprisingly stable and low maintenance.