icantaffordcycling's 2018 Cervelo S3 Disc w R7020

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Hello everyone. I have been lurking on here for the last couple of months and have recently built up my Cervelo S3 disc. After crashing my caad 10 at the end of 2018. I needed a new bike. But being on a tight high schooler budget, and wanting disc brakes I decided not to go weight weenie. When I saw this frameset on sale for $699 at incycle in SoCal. I decided to pull the trigger and build it up.
The frame came in a lot heavier than expected and I am fairly dissapointed in how heavy this bike is. Expect more updates soon.

Here is the build list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

So far, it rides similarly to my rim Caad 10 with SRAM Rival. Stiffer for sure. Not a fan of the front shifting on mechanical still, eTap or di2 will be coming eventually.

Any suggestions on how to loose weight for cheap or any other questions, just ask anything below ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by AnkitS on Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prebsy

by prebsy

Those incycle deals were insane, kind of mad I had no need at the time , glad to see you got one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Bike looks good. Ride it fast. The frameset weight is a crime. I just don't get what Cervelo is up to with that. 1939 grams?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'd suggest holding off on upgrading this bike. Look around for a used frame, more in line with the weight you're looking for and build that, in the future. Dropping over $1000 on this frame is a waste, IMO, because you're still saddled with a 1900ish gram frame.

Save your money and invest it in a better bike, and either preserve this one for rainy rides, or sell it to another high schooler/poor college kid to defer the cost.

1llum4

by 1llum4

Well I am guessing you weighted the seatpost+frame+fork+headset. That is alot of parts bundled up in one weight line. For sure it will seems heavier than it is. Frame alone should be 1100g with braze-on and derailleur hanger. Fork I will be conservative and guess 400g, seatpost should be around 250-300g and the rest would be headset bearings and top cap. Those weights are okayish for a aero second tier frame.

Not too costly upgrades that can be transfered to another bike would be:
New disc rotor could save 50-100g
Pedals can save 50-60g easily without costing a lot of money and staying with spd-sl cleats with ultegra or dura ace pedals
Cassette would be another place to save weight but since you are a high schooler you are probably limited to a 14-28 until you hit senior ranks so I would stay on ultegra 14-28 cassette.
And if you already have a saddle shape that you like, you could buy the full carbon version of that saddle shape and lose 50-60g.

The only upgrade that can be costly but save a lot of weight are the wheels the DT Swiss are heavy and really just a training wheel set. You can save easily 200-300g there.

HenHarrier

by HenHarrier

That's a beautiful looking bike. If you enjoy riding it I wouldn't listen to anyone tell you otherwise. If you made a mistake and would prefer something else, fair enough, I can't imagine it would be all that hard to shift. But if I had that while I was still at high school I gotta say I'd be very pleased with myself...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

AnkitS

by AnkitS

1llum4 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:17 pm
Not too costly upgrades that can be transferred to another bike would be:
New disc rotor could save 50-100g
with ultegra or dura ace pedals
stay on ultegra 14-28 cassette.
the full carbon version of that saddle shape and lose 50-60g.
The only upgrade that can be costly but save a lot of weight are the wheels.
Pretty much exactly correct on the weight of the frame. The 1900g was the measurement before cutting the steerer and seat post. I will be going for the Ultegra level 140mm rotors after these ones wear out. At a little under 110 pounds (50 kg), I don't think I need 160mm rotors, front or rear. I got them as part of the groupset for a steal so might as well use them. I couldn't find a lighter 14 - 28 cassette :noidea: so the true weight weenie option would be 1x. Not a fan of the 9100 pedals as they add 4mm of q-factor and I already have r8000 pedals on the way for this bike and my track bike. I think that getting the prologo dimension nack will not only save weight but also add some comfort for the rear end of the bike, not sure if I want to try the CPC version because I heard the material wears off.

About wheels: I need suggestions for deep dish aero wheels that won't blow me around. I feel like I am getting blown around with this 32mm rims :noidea: I am thinking about getting enve 5.6's but I would need a real job for those. Maybe cheap Chinese carbon?
HenHarrier wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:40 pm
That's a beautiful looking bike. If you enjoy riding it I wouldn't listen to anyone tell you otherwise.
Honestly, although it could be lighter. I am in love with it and am going to be keeping it. At least for a while. I should be able to use it for a couple of months without it depreciating at all as I think I could sell it for what I bought it for.
prebsy wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:45 am
Those incycle deals were insane.
People were buying and selling those frames on Facebook for $400-700 over what incycle was charging. :unbelievable:
Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:04 am
1939 grams?
:noidea:

1llum4

by 1llum4

if you have a specialized dealer near. check the roval cl 50 disc 1515g or even thew c38 disc 1560g. Retail price are 1750$ and 1200$ respectively. The CL50 have DT 240 hubs and the c38 have dt 350 hubs so with both option you get the reliable star rachet and now they have lifetime warranty.

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Out of curiosity, why did you go with disc brake when you live in SoCal. This winter is abnormal, but it's dry as fck here 365 days out of the year.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

asiantrick wrote: when you live in SoCal.
I don't live in so cal. I bought the frame from a shop in SoCal. I live in NorCal where it is still dry most of the time. I just like the modulation of disc and enjoy climbing a lot.

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

As someone mentioned above, I only wish I was riding this in high school. :thumbup:

For an Aero Disc bike with 105, the final weight is pretty respectable. You can make small incremental changes, but it won't yield anything drastic. Could look and see if the Extralite expander could work and save a few grams there compared to the Enve compression plug.

prebsy

by prebsy

prebsy wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:45 am
Those incycle deals were insane.
People were buying and selling those frames on Facebook for $400-700 over what incycle was charging. :unbelievable:

As a very active member of onlineswapmeet I fully support this. Let the speculators speculate =) . I'm not sure why incycle was in such a hurry to get rid of them. It seems like they have continued their relationship with cervelo it was just an old model blow out.

Also what all is in your frameset weight? frame fork headset seatpost??? if so that's not bad at all

AnkitS

by AnkitS

prebsy wrote: Also what all is in your frameset weight? frame fork headset seatpost??? if so that's not bad at all
1939 grams was the weight of the frame with derailleur hanger, uncut fork, all the headset bearings and top cap, along with uncut seatpost, seatpost saddle clamp, seatpost wedge, and through axles.

Not bad I guess, especially for the price. But not a fan of the fact that this is a size 51 and is coming in heavier then the claimed frameset wieght of a size 56.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Got my stem slammed and a new seatpost after I managed to crack the last one (do not tighten the wedge to 8nm like the manual says). Forgot to weigh it when I was at the shop again. :Facepalm:Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com