Fulcrum 40T vs Bora Ultra 35

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hannawald

by hannawald

Fulcrum 40T vs Bora 35 - is there any difference? Similar construction, braking, hubs and bearings..can 5mm in rim height make any difference? Boras are a bit lighter.. has anybody ridden them both?

hannawald

by hannawald

To rephrase my question - does it matter which wheels i buy - stickers aside? Can i buy those i find cheaper?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Greatestalltime

by Greatestalltime

Good question.

AJS914

by AJS914

hannawald wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:52 pm
To rephrase my question - does it matter which wheels i buy - stickers aside? Can i buy those i find cheaper?
I can't see why it would matter much either way. Obviously, one wheel is 5mm taller so potentially a few watts faster.

asiantrick

by asiantrick

I own the Fulcrum 40T before I sold it & 3 words to sum it up: Narrow & nothing spectacular

It looks nice and well build though, but I think you can find a better wheelset at that price range. I ended up getting a custom build from NOX.

hannawald

by hannawald

I used to have Boras 35 but wanted to go deeper. I have bought 45mm wheels with even slightly lower weight with dt180 hubs, but miss the acceleration and uphill agility of Boras. I can find Fulcrums cheaper so i was curious if they keep same characteristics as Bora. Another suspision is that the difference was Corsa G+ vs Conti Comp tyres. But i think it was Boras..

AJS914

by AJS914

You probably need to compare the weight of the rims. I don't think a 100 gram difference in hubs will translate into a feeling of uphill agility.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The Fulcrum 40T (tubular version) has the CULT bearings. I currently have a set of Bora 35 Ultra as well as a set of the Bora 50 One. The CULT bearings are better than the USB bearings. On the bike stand the CULT bearings spin much longer than the USB bearings. So a fair comparison would be between the Fulcrum 40T and the Bora Ultra. You didn't specify which version of the Bora but I assume you meant the Ultra. The clincher version of the Speed 40 has the cheaper USB bearings. The USB bearings are still a world better than the standard sealed bearings but the CULT is just out of this world in terms of smoothness and low friction.

Mep

by Mep

hannawald wrote:I used to have Boras 35 but wanted to go deeper. I have bought 45mm wheels with even slightly lower weight with dt180 hubs, but miss the acceleration and uphill agility of Boras. I can find Fulcrums cheaper so i was curious if they keep same characteristics as Bora. Another suspision is that the difference was Corsa G+ vs Conti Comp tyres. But i think it was Boras..
Mind if I ask what 45mm wheels or rims you are riding now?

robertbb

by robertbb

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:17 am
The USB bearings are still a world better than the standard sealed bearings but the CULT is just out of this world in terms of smoothness and low friction.
I agree, and have always believed it's far more worthwhile to upgrade from Bora Ones to Bora Ultras than from Chorus to Super Record.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

hannawald wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:03 pm
I used to have Boras 35 but wanted to go deeper. I have bought 45mm wheels with even slightly lower weight with dt180 hubs, but miss the acceleration and uphill agility of Boras. I can find Fulcrums cheaper so i was curious if they keep same characteristics as Bora. Another suspision is that the difference was Corsa G+ vs Conti Comp tyres. But i think it was Boras..
Bora Ultra 50's then....