Cervelo S5 2019 vs Bianchi XR4 . Please help me choose my next bike.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

matrix

by matrix

Yeah... I can't decide between the new wonky looking Canadian Cervelo S5 build or the Italian Bianchi XR4.

If I were to get an S5, it would likely be stock with the Di2+ Enves as my LBS mentioned they can get one in for next month. The idea here is to get some Zipp 454s down the line (dream wheel).

As for the Bianchi, I would build it up with SRAM AXS and Zipp 454s. Rim/Disc still to be decided? Any thoughts?

Preferably, I would like to have an aero bike that is also lightweight. The Bianchi ticks these boxes as it has the option of rim brakes, but what irks me is that the frame design hasn't been updated since 3 years ago. If we're talking resale and street cred value, the disc Bianchi might be better. Still, you don't see a lot of Bianchi Xr4s floating online on the second hand market, which is good news.

I'd throw the new Cannondale SystemSix AXS with the champagne color scheme into the mix, but that machine looks bulky af, despite being the fastest bike on the market right now.

Just for reference I'm currently on a Dogma F10 with Campy EPS v3 components. Weight is 7.1 kg. I love a good blend of 60% Aero and 40% lightweight like F1 car technology. I'll post pictures eventually.

Thanks for reading .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Bianchi disc with Enve's ... gets my vote.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

robeambro

by robeambro

matrix wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:14 am
The Bianchi ticks these boxes as it has the option of rim brakes, but what irks me is that the frame design hasn't been updated since 3 years ago. If we're talking resale and street cred value, the disc Bianchi might be better.
Yes the Bianchi is "old". But something you may have not considered is the fact that the Bianchi is more "ordinary", hence it may still look "current" in 5 years time. It's aero, but in a classic way. With the Cervelo, instead, in 5 years people will possibly be saying "Which model is it? aaah right, the one with the weird front end..". Unless of course most other manufacturers will adopt those solutions in the future.. Which I kinda doubt.
matrix wrote:
I'd throw the new Cannondale SystemSix AXS with the champagne color scheme into the mix, but that machine looks bulky af, despite being the fastest bike on the market right now.
If I were you I wouldn't be so concerned with marketing claims. Unless you race for a living, the difference between the S5 / XR4 and SS would be minuscule. Especially considering that the SS is probably the heaviest of the bunch (and in that gloss paint scheme even more), so the minuscule wattage advantage vs an S5 / XR4 is at least partly offset by the weight penalty.
matrix wrote:
Just for reference I'm currently on a Dogma F10 with Campy EPS v3 components. Weight is 7.1 kg. I love a good blend of 60% Aero and 40% lightweight like F1 car technology. I'll post pictures eventually.

Thanks for reading .
To be honest I am not sure it's worth upgrading from your current steed.. Unless you want to switch to disc. Unless you're unhappy with it in any way.. If it's too harsh, maybe XR4 with CV will make for a more plush ride, but other than that.. :noidea:

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Bianchi gets my vote
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Nejmann

by Nejmann

What wheels do you have on your current bike?

TiCass

by TiCass

I would go for Enve wheels
I would also go for Di2

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I don't Bianchi here. It's older by design than F10. So, if i had an F10, for sure i would go for the new Cervelo S5 or SystemSix.
Personally, S5. I think it's interesting that it has the appearance it has.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

The Cervelo is not "Canadian" and the Bianchi is not "Italian" both are 100% made in Taiwan and as far as the Cannondale......Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

timmerrr

by timmerrr

Ive got the new S5 and love it. It may not be the lightest bike but it is undoubtedly fast. When buying a bike like either of your options, its really mostly about how the bike makes you feel, both are going to be fast and ride great. I think the S5 looks really cool, the ride quality is great and its very responsive to both seated and out of the saddle efforts, so it ticks all the boxes for me. Also, I have a friend who has an F8 and an XR4 and he much preferres the XR4 because of the ride quality.
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Bianchi

none

by none

Buy the one that looks good to you; if you like how it looks, you would enjoy riding it more..
If you don't like how it looks, even if it is the most comfortable bike for you, you would think you're riding an ugly bike all the time.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

New Cervelo S3 looks better than S5 IMO.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

mattyNor wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:05 pm
The Cervelo is not "Canadian" and the Bianchi is not "Italian" both are 100% made in Taiwan and as far as the Cannondale......Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Yeah, but then again,.. how many bikes do you find made in USA or Europe?
One of the reasons i like Ax Lightness. I even try to follow a theme on mine, using components made in Germany.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Seedster

by Seedster

Surprisingly, I would get the Cervélo S5 disc with dura ace di2. Wonky handlebar aside, I am sure it performs as well or better than its predecessor. It will be a fast, stiff and the controversial design will keep your attention.

I have seen the System Six in the flesh and It is quite underwhelming. The paint job doesn’t really help it much in the looks category. It is hard to look at and the Garmin mount is egregiously bolted on

I had the bianchi XR4 and it was a lovely frame. The CV technology muted the small bumps. Solid bike all around bike but never struck me as a dedicated aero bike.

Have you considered the Madone SLR Disc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Seedster on Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com