madone SLR vs SLR DIsc ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikepress

by bikepress

hi everyone!!

finally i got some extra cash, and there is a big chance i finally buy a madone to make company to my emonda slr!

all of my bikes are rim! all of my carbon wheels are rim braking!

any thoughts on Rim vs Disk on this model, should start to convert or keep it, the extra weight is almost a 1 kg of deference beteewn them ( if i use my wheels ), compering with my 6.5kg emonda with 60mm aero wheels is 1.5kg plus for the disk, 700g plus rim break to rim break!

weight and ride feel are my biggest concern.

thank you boys and girls!

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Do you have big mountains to ride up and down in your vicinity? Do you ride regardless of weather? If not, get the rim version. Going disc adds weight and lose about 10 Watts maybe in aero savings.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Rim also looks better esp if going for da discs
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

matvalse

by matvalse

What's the weight difference between these two versions?

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Trek has provided a great whitepaper for weight comparison.

http://trek.scene7.com/is/content/TrekB ... _EN-GB.pdf

It's 7087g vs 7405g. Note the framesets are without paint, which will add 200 grams or so.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Weight shouldn’t really be a concern when dealing with two of the heaviest examples of either braking format. Pick the one that makes sense to you. If you have lots of rim brake wheels, then go with the rim-brake model if you want. Just keep in mind you don’t gain much else. Except at extreme yaw angles, the aero penalty of discs is really about a watt. You’re still going to deal with the headaches of integrated routing and proprietary calipers with the rim brake model.

Stitchking

by Stitchking

So ride feel: disc is stiffer. Some people say disc bikes feel kind of dead vs rim feeling a lot livelier.

Weight: rim is better.

This being said if you like your mechanic, or you're building it yourself, disc for sure.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

robeambro

by robeambro

bikepress wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:50 pm
hi everyone!!

finally i got some extra cash, and there is a big chance i finally buy a madone to make company to my emonda slr!

any thoughts on Rim vs Disk on this model, should start to convert or keep it, the extra weight is almost a 1 kg of deference beteewn them ( if i use my wheels ), compering with my 6.5kg emonda with 60mm aero wheels is 1.5kg plus for the disk, 700g plus rim break to rim break!

Sorry but it seems to me you have already decided and just want us to validate your choice.. weight is your biggest concern, go for rim.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Kayrehn wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:23 am
Do you have big mountains to ride up and down in your vicinity? Do you ride regardless of weather? If not, get the rim version. Going disc adds weight and lose about 10 Watts maybe in aero savings.

i agree. i only went disc on my new c64 build because of vacations to the alps where there are long descents and one never knows if it will rain. otherwise i would have stayed rim brake. i only notice the benefit in the rain.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

bikepress

by bikepress

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:16 am
Weight shouldn’t really be a concern when dealing with two of the heaviest examples of either braking format. Pick the one that makes sense to you. If you have lots of rim brake wheels, then go with the rim-brake model if you want. Just keep in mind you don’t gain much else. Except at extreme yaw angles, the aero penalty of discs is really about a watt. You’re still going to deal with the headaches of integrated routing and proprietary calipers with the rim brake model.
Yep thats the problem!

Rim or disk both are kind of hard bikes to live with from the maintenance point of view!

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I like the hoods and look of rim over disc. bikes are lighter too, but if you plan on riding in the rain or engage in long descents get disc. i struggled with this one just this month in fact so now i have two disc bikes and one rim brake. feel the rim brake is more no-nonsense too.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

bikepress

by bikepress

robeambro wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:15 am
bikepress wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:50 pm
hi everyone!!

Sorry but it seems to me you have already decided and just want us to validate your choice.. weight is your biggest concern, go for rim.
hi not quite, taken into question the way of the industry, i dont know if it make sense to buy rim any more! because even on the 2hand market rim is very hard to sell right now no matter the bike!

So a slow transition is also not a bad idea! but i can't afford the same model of the bike with disk break (that will equal my Emonda), i need to buy extra wheels, and kit.

If i buy rim, all will be cheaper, but i will stay stuck with it in future also, and probably lose lots of money, in this transition times!

on the top!
Giant producing a Propel Rim Brake because the riders of CCC dont want to use disk brake!
and Giant is the biggest bike manufacturer in the world! ( "they say", and she needs to be ready for the tour 2019)

bikepress

by bikepress

Kayrehn wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:23 am

no she will only see Sun light! not big mountains or big ups and downs! to make 1000m in 150km... you need to do 6 to 7 laps in our local mountain!

for rain and winter i have a bike for it! ;)

bikepress

by bikepress

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:43 pm
I like the hoods and look of rim over disc. bikes are lighter too, but if you plan on riding in the rain or engage in long descents get disc. i struggled with this one just this month in fact so now i have two disc bikes and one rim brake. feel the rim brake is more no-nonsense too.
she is supose to ride just under Sun light! Because i have a bike made just for the rain (also Rim break )

but if buy it in disc also will take it out in some rain days because the cleaning of the bike, looks lot easer that to clean the rim break bike!

sorry, can you be more specific please - "feel the rim brake is more no-nonsense too" :wink: :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

before committing, see if you can at least sample how the rim brake bike works. Wires/compressionless housing is a bit more difficult to set up for optimal performance than hydro lines when looking at the full integrated builds.