The official : "what have you bought today" topic

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Speedplay is the devil!

dim

by dim

new brake pads for my HED Belgium + wheelset (they need narrower pads)

Yellow Shimano cleats .... my new pedals (Dura Ace 9100 came with the blue ones, and I'm really struggling to fit them proper, so I'm going to use the yellow which has more float:

a set of Continental GP 5000 TL tyres ..... ended up getting them from Bike discount in Germany at a good price (£96.55 for a pair in 25mm and that price included DHL shipping from Germany to the UK .... (£45.58 each)

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Just to chime in on the Bontrager XXX saddle discussion. My first one weighed 67g. My second one weighed 70g. With my first one, I rode over a rough patch of asphalt and heard a loud crack. I noticed some cleavage in the saddle rails, but that could have been there from the original molding process. I actually continued to ride it for about a month without issues, but my dealer put in for a warranty replacement anyway.

I never did figure out what the crack/thwack sound was. I'm 50/50 on whether it was actually the saddle or a particularly hard pebble strike.

There is no weight limit on the saddle, but I wouldn't want to be an 80kg rider on it. The lack of padding means you feel any road imperfection, especially at speed. It's the kind of saddle where I could ride all day on it on perfect glass smooth roads, but complain about a 1hr ride on rough weather beaten NorCal roads.

BTW, I've been told Trek/Bontrager's "Power" saddle is close and will come in four different widths. They also seem to be deprecating the 128mm width moving forward because nobody buys them.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:18 am
Just to chime in on the Bontrager XXX saddle discussion. My first one weighed 67g. My second one weighed 70g. With my first one, I rode over a rough patch of asphalt and heard a loud crack. I noticed some cleavage in the saddle rails, but that could have been there from the original molding process. I actually continued to ride it for about a month without issues, but my dealer put in for a warranty replacement anyway.

I never did figure out what the crack/thwack sound was. I'm 50/50 on whether it was actually the saddle or a particularly hard pebble strike.
That "crack" you heard is likely just the result of a sudden micro movement, settling in if you will, of the rails in the clamp. Whenever I set up a saddle, and think I've got it adjusted right, as the final step I always really "whack it hard" on both the rear and the nose, and that "crack", while a disconcerting sound, is very common as it "settles". Consider it the same thing as stress relieving spokes when building a wheel. Of course, I suppose if it actually broke a similar sound would be heard, but generally it's the "beddding in" of the rails and clamp assembly after install.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Bought to replace proprietary RAT axles as the rear is starting to play up and the RATs are difficult to replace

Bonus is a 31g weight saving for each axle

ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Calnago wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:18 am

That "crack" you heard is likely just the result of a sudden micro movement, settling in if you will, of the rails in the clamp. Whenever I set up a saddle, and think I've got it adjusted right, as the final step I always really "whack it hard" on both the rear and the nose, and that "crack", while a disconcerting sound, is very common as it "settles". Consider it the same thing as stress relieving spokes when building a wheel. Of course, I suppose if it actually broke a similar sound would be heard, but generally it's the "beddding in" of the rails and clamp assembly after install.
I do the same thing only I grab the saddle with both hands, nose and tail and tug up and down. It usually makes a cracking sound after it has been adjusted.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

BTW, I've been told Trek/Bontrager's "Power" saddle is close and will come in four different widths. They also seem to be deprecating the 128mm width moving forward because nobody buys them.

Both my SMP saddles that I just purchased are 130 wide. They fit me well.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:14 am

Both my SMP saddles that I just purchased are 130 wide. They fit me well.

Selle SMP saddles are meant to be narrower because they encourage you to rotate your hips forward (moving your weight onto your pubic rami.) They also make you sit a little farther back vs the relative placement of the nose.

I'm currently running a Selle SMP Glider at 136mm when I normally use saddles in the 145-150mm range. Speaking of which, the durability of the real leather SMPs is disappointing. I have about 2000mi on mine and the leather on the left side of the "beak" is already noticeably worn. If I buy another SMP it'll definitely be with the synthetic/textile cover.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

The Composit I purchased has no padding so if the material wears off it will likely make very little difference but I will keep that in mind as I really like the shape and position it puts me. I was contemplating purchasing another in the future at some point, guess it will be another Composit. The full carbon wont be a problem in this area. Someone else mentioned that SMP should update their manufacturing process as well whether he was talking materials I cant recall now.

KCookie

by KCookie

Managed to get these very hard to get hold of glue removers. Last time months from Korea this time within a few days from Sydney.Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

1llum4

by 1llum4

Effeto Mariposa Carogna remover works well for removing old tubular glue. Let sit for a night and scrape it away.

FelixTheCat

by FelixTheCat

DSP 1.8 Bar Tape, absolutely love it. All the reviews were correct

dim

by dim

Dynaplug Racer Tubeless tyre repair kit

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

dgasmd

by dgasmd

X4. Has been many years since I bought the castelli set these are replacing

X2 to replace my oldest ones that just became the official ones for “trainer use only”!

Serious first world issues........ImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Tubeless ready wheels, but will I try it :noidea: