Ultimate training tubular setup

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

You could always go with Robert Millar's old 'tubular' training setup when he was racing and living in Belgium.

He used to find the sturdiest clincher tire he could and, instead of using an inner tube, he would use a tubular tire as the inner tube. It was his way to ensure that he never got a puncture when he was out training in the cold and rain. He said the ride quality was horrific but that wasn't what he was aiming for.

bcmf

by bcmf

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:00 pm
You could always go with Robert Millar's old 'tubular' training setup when he was racing and living in Belgium.

He used to find the sturdiest clincher tire he could and, instead of using an inner tube, he would use a tubular tire as the inner tube. It was his way to ensure that he never got a puncture when he was out training in the cold and rain. He said the ride quality was horrific but that wasn't what he was aiming for.
I tried this for a few weeks after a really bad run of punctures.
Dont do it.
Nobody deserves to ride a bike with such a horrible feeling.

With regard to running 28 Pave tubs.
Absolutley love them.
I reckon they kept me upright today on a tight off camber bend...diesel or mud right on the apex with some dampness. Felt both wheels going but stayed up.
23's and I reckon I was deck.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

bcmf wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:42 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:00 pm

I tried this for a few weeks after a really bad run of punctures.
Dont do it.
Nobody deserves to ride a bike with such a horrible feeling.

I actually thought this was a joke.... :noidea:

With regard to running 28 Pave tubs.
Absolutley love them.
I reckon they kept me upright today on a tight off camber bend...diesel or mud right on the apex with some dampness. Felt both wheels going but stayed up.
23's and I reckon I was deck.

What pressure do you you run in the 28s?

2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

bcmf

by bcmf

yeah probably didnt help that I used a 22mm tufo as 'the inner tube' :P
Ran a really well worn open corsa tyre with it.
Almost impossible to get the tyre on and when I decided to stop with the experiment I had to cut the tyre off...literally.
For what its worth I never had a flat tyre with it.
I put the set on my sons 'going to school bike' and for almost 3 years he bounced up and down and over glass and through alll sorts of sh*t and never had a flat.
Think one of the old wheels in the shed are still set up like that.

I also thought it was how the set up the pppros had for muddy Paris -Roubaix in the early to mid 80's.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My tub setups and I love each one of them

32h super champion arc d'ciel rims on record freewheel hubs with conti gatorskin 22mm tubulars. I need to change these to some dugadt but never got round to it. They are in an old Alan.
Weight is around 1350g

32F/36R Ambrosio nemesis rims on Dura ace 7400/7403 hubs build with lasers. The rear can flex a bit under high load. These have 24mm Vittoria pave front and a 27mm rear but the 27mm cg3 is only 25.5mm wide. Italian mm are shorter than everyone else's. Weight around 1900g but the bike moves well. They are in an old pinarello monvisio.

32h Mavic gel280 rims on novatec A171/f172 hubs with Sapim race hubs. Sub 1400g but flexy. 23mm Vittoria Corsa SC tyres are too narrow. These rims need wider tyres.

28H hed Belgium c2 tubulars on campagnolo silver record hubs. These have conti comps 25mm on them in a pinarello stelvio. Soon done conti competition pro ltd alx 25mm tyres will be on them.

32H FIR tub rims no idea which ones on Chorus hubs. These have 25mm gator skins and they are training wheels in a a trek 2300.

32F/36R campagnolo chrono/victory on campagnolo Tipo hub with dugast Paris Roubaix 27mm tyres.

28h light bicycle 27mm wide MTB carbon rims laced to the first miche disc brake hubs. Weight 1400g. These have had dugast fast bird, geax saguaro and soon schwalbe racing ralfh tubs. Still got a couple of dugast and geax tubs for these

20F/24 Borg38t rims on carbon Ti hubs. These have some possibly veloflex made schwalbe 22mm tubs.

18F24R Borg38t rims on hope to glide hubs again with the above tubs.

88 mm deep carbon rims laced to 12 spoke Dura ace 7700 hubs. Tubs are conti GP4000s II
A spoke has gone on these so they will be rebuilt with thicker aero spokes.

Got some IRC formula team 25mm tyres to try out too.

Other rims to build up are 32h velocity escape, Mavic GP4's.

These are all training/having fun wheels. For racing I tend to use tubeless tyres.