Vittoria Launch this month

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

parajba

by parajba

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:40 am
The GP5K TL are actually 3x60tpi, but IMO that doesn’t matter so much in a tubeless tire with an already less flexible inner liner.
My bad, I stand corrected.

Not surprised then that my Corsa G+ 25mm with Specialided Turbo inner tubes felt much comfier than the 5000TL 25. I feel cheated. I will go back to Vittoria as soon as 5000TL square off providing their new tubeless will be available in the next 3 months.
What’s the point of these 5000TL then? Puncture resistance/safety in case of puncture due to sealant and supposedly lower RR? I don’t see a place in the current market for the 5000TL. Any decent tubeless with sealant will achieve similar results plus it will be comfier (Pro One, new Vittoria, Galaktik).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

parajba wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:45 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:40 am
The GP5K TL are actually 3x60tpi, but IMO that doesn’t matter so much in a tubeless tire with an already less flexible inner liner.
My bad, I stand corrected.

Not surprised then that my Corsa G+ 25mm with Specialided Turbo inner tubes felt much comfier than the 5000TL 25. I feel cheated. I will go back to Vittoria as soon as 5000TL square off providing their new tubeless will be available in the next 3 months.
What’s the point of these 5000TL then? Puncture resistance/safety in case of puncture due to sealant and supposedly lower RR? I don’t see a place in the current market for the 5000TL. Any decent tubeless with sealant will achieve similar results plus it will be comfier (Pro One, new Vittoria, Galaktik).
Speed and aero, one of the lowest rolling resistance and best shapes for modern wheels.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

I do wish someone tested the RR on really rough pavement. We know that RR increases as asphalt gets worse, and that at some point the usual pattern of RR decreasing with increased tyre pressure no longer holds. But we have no comparative data. And I, for one, and am very curious as to whether 1) tubeless tires perform worse than indicated by Jarno’s tests on a “real world” road, rather than roughened drum, due to their less flexible casing and thicker sidewall and 2) whether “supple” tyres like Vittorias start outperforming the likes of Conti at some point as well.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

morganb wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:12 pm
parajba wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:45 pm
Speed and aero, one of the lowest rolling resistance and best shapes for modern wheels.
And grip, with the Black Chili compounds always testing brilliantly for that. As far as I'm aware there is no test for tyre comfort so that'll always be subjective.

Ultimately, the point of the GP5kTL is that Conti will sell millions of them. People have always criticised the 4k range for harshness yet it's been sales behemoth of the high end tyre market for a decade. And that will be the place in the current market for the 5kTL, at the very top outselling everything else several times over.

Alfus

by Alfus

No TLR Corsas in tan???? #*f##k*!

ducman

by ducman

Please God, make a tire as good as a GP5000, with tan walls, don't care for tubelesS. Thank you.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:11 pm
I do wish someone tested the RR on really rough pavement. We know that RR increases as asphalt gets worse, and that at some point the usual pattern of RR decreasing with increased tyre pressure no longer holds. But we have no comparative data. And I, for one, and am very curious as to whether 1) tubeless tires perform worse than indicated by Jarno’s tests on a “real world” road, rather than roughened drum, due to their less flexible casing and thicker sidewall and 2) whether “supple” tyres like Vittorias start outperforming the likes of Conti at some point as well.
This is the million dollar question(s). How rough of a surface, what pressure, what size tire, under what weight of rider? Somewhere on the web there is a report of a decent roll down test on gravel and the conclusion was basically the softer the tire, the faster it was. Same principles would seem to apply to the suppleness of a road tire on other rough surfaces. The only consolation to not knowing which is faster in various real world applications, is knowing that the difference in speed between all of the top tires is so small that it is barely of any significance. How many timetrials have any of us lost by 1 second? How many sprints by the thickness of a tire? And in all cases there are always other factors that will make a bigger difference to speed than the difference between a GP5000 and a Corsa G+.

If I buy this argument (and I do) then my purchase decision should be based more on comfort, traction, and perhaps puncture protection. These are real things we can feel or learn from experience.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Miller

by Miller

My opinion this, based on the last three years of riding, but tubeless is excellent on crap road surfaces. I run fairly low pressures with TL, eg 70psi on 25mm, 50psi on 30mm, and comfort is excellent while speed is retained. Ride comfort is one of the big plusses of TL.

snaxez

by snaxez

Is there any difference or changes made in Corsa tubulars for 2019 vs 2018?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I think you've seen the last development of tubulars for a few years yet.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Some of these new efficient compounds must sooner or later trickle down to tubulars. After they've been properly tested on tubeless riders. :)

/a

petromyzon

by petromyzon

You can bet your life Conti are using the latest version of their compound in their World tour tyres. The problem is they won't supply latex tubed tubs to consumers, and there is an inherent inefficiency in the glueing or taping of tubs. So you are immediately at a significant rolling resistance disadvantage and the fastest tubs will never again challenge the fastest clinchers on that basis.

sychen

by sychen

petromyzon wrote:You can bet your life Conti are using the latest version of their compound in their World tour tyres. The problem is they won't supply latex tubed tubs to consumers, and there is an inherent inefficiency in the glueing or taping of tubs. So you are immediately at a significant rolling resistance disadvantage and the fastest tubs will never again challenge the fastest clinchers on that basis.
Wouldn't the whole exclusive to pros deal break the revised uci rule about consumer availability?

Can we expect some conti pro Ltd goodness on wiggle shortly?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Given road tubular wheels are bing dropped by manufacturers why would tyre manufacturers put any money into tubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sethjs

by sethjs

Was the Vittoria launch not supposed to be this week?