Cervelo S3 by Fat-Creations

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Pieke

by Pieke

Hi everyone

Bought a beautifully painted Cervelo S3 frame of eBay a couple of months ago. The previous owner had made a topic about it before: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145431

I'll be building this bike over the winter. My current winter training bike is a Black Caad10, not worthy of being called a weeight weenie (7320g).

This topic will be updated with part-shots, weights and any progress on the bike build. I'm in no hurry to build it quickly, as it will take a couple more months for the weather to improve anyway. At the moment I'm somewhat building up the bike for a test-assembly, but plan on disassembling, weighing all parts that I've overlooked and properly building it back up (greased, loctited, cleaned, admired, etc).

The day the frame arrived (15 Oct 2018)

Nice box

Something hiding under the bubble-wrap

There it is...

Quickly thrown together with some stuff I had lying around.

Red doesn't seem to work, black it is

Ever since then I've been on the hunt for parts.

Beautiful details:

Victory-shot of the bottle cage mounted after I got the EPS battery in.

Tried SL-K Bars, didn't like them, so DEDA Superleggera RS (194g) it is.

Obviously I'd rather invest in bike-parts than in a new chair.

Wheels have since been laced, but not yet trued. Considering learning how to do it myself.

Stem arrived, will swap the bolts for titanium

Individual parts: Image
Last edited by Pieke on Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Subscribed

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kavlares

by kavlares

what exactly are these ebay Marble carbon wheels? Is it a brand or you are referring to the finish? chinese?

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

I'm not normally a cervelo fan but that looks stunning so far!
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

Pieke

by Pieke

kavlares wrote:what exactly are these ebay Marble carbon wheels? Is it a brand or you are referring to the finish? chinese?
Well, since the frame is UD carbon with a glossy clear coat I thought UD carbon wheels with a glossy clear coat might look good with the frame.

Started looking for a pair and this seller calls them 'marble finish'.

They're actually from AliExpress but I've seen them on eBay as well, so no brand. 50mm clinchers, 23mm wide. The seller seemed knowledgeable and helped me to find the lightest pair they had in stock.

Total weight of the wheels will be 1279g which is very respectable to me.

Gonna pair them with veloflex master 25c, but sadly they changed something in their process, so the last batch is 225+-5 grams instead of 205+-5 grams. Let's hope the extra weight adds in durability.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Pieke

by Pieke

onemanpeloton wrote:I'm not normally a cervelo fan but that looks stunning so far!
Me neither! My last bike was a Ridley Noah RS, which was not equipped for electronic groupsets and was a size too large for me, so after buying the groupset I started hunting for a di2/EPS frame worthy of such a fine groupset. Looked for about 2 months and I was gonna go for an Isaac element SL, and then this frame popped up on eBay.

kavlares

by kavlares

Pieke wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:53 am
kavlares wrote:what exactly are these ebay Marble carbon wheels? Is it a brand or you are referring to the finish? chinese?
Well, since the frame is UD carbon with a glossy clear coat I thought UD carbon wheels with a glossy clear coat might look good with the frame.

They're actually from AliExpress but I've seen them on eBay as well, so no brand. 50mm clinchers, 23mm wide. The seller seemed knowledgeable and helped me to find the lightest pair they had in stock.

Gonna pair them with veloflex master 25c, but sadly they changed something in their process, so the last batch is 225+-5 grams instead of 205+-5 grams. Let's hope the extra weight adds in durability.

I have been reluctant so far.... out of fear for my safety, to sport chinese ''no brand'' carbon wheels on my bike... which is a bummer cause they're light and cheap....
compared to Zipps and Enves....
so you reckon these rims are solid enough to do the job?

Pieke

by Pieke

I have good experiences with other Chinese wheels. Also they are not the cheapest available option, which is worth something to me. Supposedly they have some certification for their durability, but take that with a grain of salt. I'm willing to take the risk.

Indications like having to be re-tensioned or re-trued more often than usual would probably indicate any lack of strength long before they will fail disastrously, so I can always swap them for something else if that turns out to be the case.

I'm more reluctant to ride with Chinese bars or seatposts as I have heard stories of those failing. Wheels not so much.
kavlares wrote:
Pieke wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:53 am

I have been reluctant so far.... out of fear for my safety, to sport chinese ''no brand'' carbon wheels on my bike... which is a bummer cause they're light and cheap....
compared to Zipps and Enves....
so you reckon these rims are solid enough to do the job?

thedanplasse

by thedanplasse

I'm also fairly new to the sport. I picked up an old Bianchi last year because I wasn't too sure if I would thoroughly enjoy it (which I do) So now I'm looking to upgrade to a Cervelo R3, But the S3 has me thinking as well. Looks good!
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6
2018 Specialized Tarmac Expert Sl5

AnkitS

by AnkitS

I am also building up a cervelo S3 and this thread seems super interesting, following!

Pieke

by Pieke

I got rid of the logo's on the stem. Also ordered a lightweight topcap, which hopefully negates the need for the top spacer as well as additional weight loss of about 12 grams.

Next, the logo on the front of the saddle had some wear, so I removed that as well. Still contemplating whether or not to remove the other logos too. Maybe test the saddle first and decide then.

Finding the right position for the levers. Also an excuse to test my new cameralens.

Can't get enough of that paintjob...

Yes, the bike is upside down, no worries, I can justify why...small upgrade

Unlike the eps v2 battery, this one does fit in the super-tight Cervelo seat-tube.

New juntion-box, with the charging-port instead of a hole in the frame.

And some goodies arrived as well. The veloflex is a heavier batch then the advertised 205gms per tire. 225g sadly.

Also,

I bought a THM clavicula classic and AX lightness orion brakes. Now deciding on which bottom bracket I need. Don't really feel like spending 120 euro and some more for the tool, especially given the fact that I have a rotor4630 lying around. Don't know if the bearing on the carbon spindle instead of the aliminium will be a problem. If not, I can just use a spacer to make up for the difference in spacing.

Weights in post 1 are updated. Projected weight is now around 6.3kg.

Pieke

by Pieke

The AX lightness brakes arrived, but the rear doesn't seem to fit, like the spring is too short. Supposedly it's an AX3000. Are the different versions? Is there something I can do to make this version work? It seems like this version doesn't work with rims that are as wide as this, because there is no tension on the spring whatsoever, but they are only 23mm wide rims.
Attachments
2019-02-11 14.13.25.jpg

Pieke

by Pieke

For anyone wondering about the solution, I just took the spring out and bent it outwards a bit more. Now the pads aren't touching the rim anymore.

Edit: got a response from AX-lightness telling me to do the same.
Last edited by Pieke on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rexyi1990

by rexyi1990

Pieke wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:28 pm
I got rid of the logo's on the stem. Also ordered a lightweight topcap, which hopefully negates the need for the top spacer as well as additional weight loss of about 12 grams.

Next, the logo on the front of the saddle had some wear, so I removed that as well. Still contemplating whether or not to remove the other logos too. Maybe test the saddle first and decide then.

Finding the right position for the levers. Also an excuse to test my new cameralens.

Can't get enough of that paintjob...

Yes, the bike is upside down, no worries, I can justify why...small upgrade

Unlike the eps v2 battery, this one does fit in the super-tight Cervelo seat-tube.

New juntion-box, with the charging-port instead of a hole in the frame.

And some goodies arrived as well. The veloflex is a heavier batch then the advertised 205gms per tire. 225g sadly.

Also,

I bought a THM clavicula classic and AX lightness orion brakes. Now deciding on which bottom bracket I need. Don't really feel like spending 120 euro and some more for the tool, especially given the fact that I have a rotor4630 lying around. Don't know if the bearing on the carbon spindle instead of the aliminium will be a problem. If not, I can just use a spacer to make up for the difference in spacing.

Weights in post 1 are updated. Projected weight is now around 6.3kg.
Pretty cool bulit, eager to see the project!

Pieke

by Pieke

Here are the AX-Lightness brakes. I'll decide if I keep them or if i'll go for EE-brakes after testing their actual performance.

Front brake 81,6 grams

Rear brake 72,2 grams

It does look good.
-Even with tires.

The crank arrived as well.
Next update will have pictures with the rear brake and will most likely included the installed crank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com