When will you buy eTap AXS?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

The question is when...?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:50 am

Right NOW!
3%
Soon, when I get a better deal.
3%
April, when Force eTap AXS would appear.
6%
Want it, but no plan.
16%
My current groupset is just fine.
69%
Never! Single Speed FTW!
2%

Total votes: 287

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You don't have to use a SRAM chainset although there are no 12 speed aftermarket chainset to choose from.

Disposable chainset goes against the grain of reducing waste. They have to change that and they should.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

glander wrote:I'm still disappointed Sram did not issue a firmware update so the prior etap shifters could work with the new 12 speed axs. Personally I could care less about the app and it's required bluetooth connection to the shifters. A firmware update would have shown Srams committent to prior tech they released but I guess not....
tabl10s wrote:
glander wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:44 pm
I'm still disappointed Sram did not issue a firmware update so the prior etap shifters could work with the new 12 speed axs. Personally I could care less about the app and it's required bluetooth connection to the shifters. A firmware update would have shown Srams committent to prior tech they released but I guess not....
They should've updated Gen 1 to have connectivity of AXS(isn't that what the idiotic stick was for?).
You're in Lala land if you think they care about backwards compatibility with this release. And why would they let you cheap out on upgrades when they can just lock in the ecosystem? Are the chipsets on etap even compatible with the AXS gear?
Using Tapatalk

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

Not at the current prices. I know it's their top of the range, but at $5-6k Aussie for a groupset, they can shove it. In this day and age when electronics are so advanced and cheap, what makes SRAM and even Shimano and Campy think that their electronic groupsets are worth the RRP's they put them out at!? Ludicrous.

corky

by corky

Sammutd88 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:57 am
Not at the current prices. I know it's their top of the range, but at $5-6k Aussie for a groupset, they can shove it. In this day and age when electronics are so advanced and cheap, what makes SRAM and even Shimano and Campy think that their electronic groupsets are worth the RRP's they put them out at!? Ludicrous.
Someone has to pay for the research and development costs and it ain’t gonna be SRAM Corp......not to mention pro team supplies, marketing etc. It ain’t just the chips and circuit boards.

I wouldn’t mind so much but if you crash with this stuff the cost of replacement parts is horrendous, I dont think unsupported racers will be riding this stuff.

I appreciate the progress this release represents but not not the practicality....

stringbean

by stringbean

Can anyone confirm if there is any chance of some sort of update that will be made available for the 11sp shifters to make them work with 12 sp?
Should be pretty easy to do.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

stringbean wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:44 am
Can anyone confirm if there is any chance of some sort of update that will be made available for the 11sp shifters to make them work with 12 sp?
It's not possible.....nor mechanically (engine of derailleur) nor for the electronics (there are changes in it)

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

corky wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:38 am
Sammutd88 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:57 am
Someone has to pay for the research and development costs and it ain’t gonna be SRAM Corp......not to mention pro team supplies, marketing etc. It ain’t just the chips and circuit boards.

I wouldn’t mind so much but if you crash with this stuff the cost of replacement parts is horrendous, I dont think unsupported racers will be riding this stuff.

I appreciate the progress this release represents but not not the practicality....
I appreciate that, I still think the cost is prohibitive. What I’d like to know is, with the chainrings being machined from 1 piece of metal and the spider not being removable, does that mean new chainrings mean a new power meter too!? If that’s the case, what a poorly designed, epic waste.

simurs4

by simurs4

Taken from the CyclingTips article.
In other words, when it comes time to replace a worn chainring with a new one, you’ll now have to get yourself a new power meter to go with it. According to Quarq technical director Jim Meyer (who also founded Quarq before SRAM acquired the company in 2011), the decision to combine the power meter with a consumable drivetrain component was based on long-term accuracy, and specifically drift.
I find it very shocking that something such as a power meter, which are still so expensive and exotic to alot of people has bascially been relegated to a ''consumable''. Ridiculous.
TBH though, I would imagine most people that either buy a bike fitted with AXS or just the groupset alone will never wear through their chainrings, either due to offloading the bike and buying something newer, or just by the fact that it takes alot of riding to wear them out, generally.
It is still a shitty idea.

JerryZ

by JerryZ

Being the AXS is far out of my budget, I am considering the current Etap 11 to upgrade from my current DA9. To the current Etap owners: Should I go ahead and get the current Etap with apparently no chance of future upgrades or should I revert to Mech 11 of some sort? Thanks!
The AXS appears to be an awesome system, but only for very deep pockets.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

JerryZ wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:30 pm
Being the AXS is far out of my budget, I am considering the current Etap 11 to upgrade from my current DA9. To the current Etap owners: Should I go ahead and get the current Etap with apparently no chance of future upgrades or should I revert to Mech 11 of some sort? Thanks!
The AXS appears to be an awesome system, but only for very deep pockets.
What;'s wrong with your current group?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

bilwit wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:43 pm
AXS just makes 11 spd eTap look really really good. Personally I'm fine with 9070..
I am with you on that. In my 30 years of cycling the quality and functionality of bikes, components and wheels has improved so massively that I would be content to use 9070 or 9150 for the rest of my days. The stuff is pretty close to perfect. It works, it's simple and it's easy to maintain.

jih

by jih

Ritxis wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:01 am
stringbean wrote:
It's not possible.....nor mechanically (engine of derailleur) nor for the electronics (there are changes in it)
Not possible to make an electric motor move in smaller steps, along te same extent? I get that it wouldn't be possible to upgrade to AXS, but I don't see why upgrading to 12 speed in firmware wouldn't be possible given the motivation to do so.

Prochnow

by Prochnow

jih wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:21 pm
Ritxis wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:01 am
stringbean wrote:
Can anyone suggest great golf rangefinders and confirm if there is any chance of some sort of update that will be made available for the 11sp shifters to make them work with 12 sp?
Not possible to make an electric motor move in smaller steps, along te same extent? I get that it wouldn't be possible to upgrade to AXS, but I don't see why upgrading to 12 speed in firmware wouldn't be possible given the motivation to do so.
Why do you think they're not doing it then? Not worth the effort?
Last edited by Prochnow on Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mattr

by mattr

Maximising profit.
Multiple versions of software needed (cost/time/risk of mistakes).
Possibly changes to signalling structure or protocols.

Some very good and sensible reasons.
I suspect it's mostly about cost/profit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattyNor

by mattyNor

The biggest letdown for me is the shifters, especially the hydro ones. First gen Shimano di2/hydro wasn't great but they nailed the ergonomics with the current gen. The seeming lack of thought that went into the "new" etap shifters is just a sign of laziness to me. Shimano may have their issues but at least when they overhaul a group each and every component is looked at.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk