Cervelo C5 vs R5 vs S3 what would you buy and why ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KarlC

by KarlC

Looking for some input here

I good friend of mine owns a shop and I can get the below Cervelos for a really good deal right now, so what would you buy and why ?

- 2017 Cervelo C5 Disk Dura Ace 9000 / BR-RS805 hydraulic - It should be like https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cer...Bike-2017/BRI4

- 2017 Cervelo R5 Rim brake Dura Ace 9000 - It should be like https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cer...Bike-2017/4H7E

- 2018 Cervelo S3 Disk Ultegra Di2 ENVE 3.4 - It should be like https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cer...Bike-2018/H2QC

The 2017 C5 and R5 would be about the same price and the 2018 S3 would be about double that price.

So what would you buy and why ?
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

AnkitS

by AnkitS

It's a hard to answer question without any information. How flexible are you? What type of riding do you do? Do you race?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

westham7

by westham7

I would buy new s3 lighter and stiffer than s5

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

KarlC

by KarlC

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:08 pm
It's a hard to answer question without any information. How flexible are you? What type of riding do you do? Do you race?
Really flexible for an old guy, road riding, nope never raced.

Thx
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

robeambro

by robeambro

KarlC wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:05 pm
Looking for some input here

I good friend of mine owns a shop and I can get the below Cervelos for a really good deal right now, so what would you buy and why ?

- 2017 Cervelo C5 Disk Dura Ace 9000 / BR-RS805 hydraulic - It should be like https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cer...Bike-2017/BRI4

- 2017 Cervelo R5 Rim brake Dura Ace 9000 - It should be like https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cer...Bike-2017/4H7E

- 2018 Cervelo S3 Disk Ultegra Di2 ENVE 3.4 - It should be like https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cer...Bike-2018/H2QC

The 2017 C5 and R5 would be about the same price and the 2018 S3 would be about double that price.

So what would you buy and why ?
You're asking us to choose between 3 bikes with completely different tubing, different brakes (disc and rim), quite different geometry, different groupsets (also mech vs electronic).. And we don't even know much, aside that you will use it for "road riding", which means very little.

Not sure how easy it would be to give you meaningful feedback..

KarlC

by KarlC

robeambro wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:30 pm

You're asking us to choose between 3 bikes with completely different tubing, different brakes (disc and rim), quite different geometry, different groupsets (also mech vs electronic).. And we don't even know much, aside that you will use it for "road riding", which means very little.

You are 100% right, 3 very differnt bikes and builds, its really just a chance to buy and try 1 or 2 different bikes for very cheep.

I have never had a disk bike, might be a good way to try one?

I sold my aero bike, might be a good way to replace it ?

So what would you do in this case ?

Thx
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

This is easy, what other bikes do you have?

If none, than R5.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

KarlC

by KarlC

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:56 pm
This is easy, what other bikes do you have?

If none, than R5.
See my sig for my curent bikes, I was leaning towards the R5 as its a great all around bike and Im not sure I want disk.

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

westham7 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:13 pm
I would buy new s3 lighter and stiffer than s5

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Source?

robeambro

by robeambro

KarlC wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:34 pm
robeambro wrote:

You are 100% right, 3 very differnt bikes and builds, its really just a chance to buy and try 1 or 2 different bikes for very cheep.

Thx
The S3 offers nothing but great looks and clean cable integration. Other than that it’s not the top aero bike out there, and is a ~8.5kg anchor. But with Enve’s it may turn out to be decent.

The R5 is a classic, you can’t go wrong with it, but has rim brakes.. I’m not sure it would offer you anything that you don’t already have with your other bikes. More racey sure, but not sure worth spending money just for that.

Never heard anything of the C series. My impression is that people tend to go to other brands when it comes to endurance frames.

Out of those I (myself) would get the S3, but you just sold your aero bike, so unsure the S3 would give you what your previous bike lacked.

Re: discs, I suppose it may be the good occasion to try them, but the debate could be endless..

chiefspinninggear

by chiefspinninggear

To reiterate R5 is a great all rounder but depends on what you are looking for.

KarlC

by KarlC

robeambro wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:52 am
KarlC wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:34 pm
robeambro wrote:

Thx
The S3 offers nothing but great looks and clean cable integration. Other than that it’s not the top aero bike out there, and is a ~8.5kg anchor. But with Enve’s it may turn out to be decent.

The R5 is a classic, you can’t go wrong with it, but has rim brakes.. I’m not sure it would offer you anything that you don’t already have with your other bikes. More racey sure, but not sure worth spending money just for that.

Never heard anything of the C series. My impression is that people tend to go to other brands when it comes to endurance frames.

Out of those I (myself) would get the S3, but you just sold your aero bike, so unsure the S3 would give you what your previous bike lacked.

Re: discs, I suppose it may be the good occasion to try them, but the debate could be endless..

Good input Thx !

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

MountainAddict

by MountainAddict

Of those options, I'd get the 2018 S3 Disc. Di2 is absolutely worth the money and is an absolute pleasure to ride. Discs (once you learn how to set them up, the nuances of them, etc) are nice. I think that the benefits and negatives have both been blown out of proportion in heated debates. They won't change your life, the braking isn't out of this world good, but maintenance really is not as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

I personally already have a rim brake climbing/road racing/crit bike and a CX/Gravel/Endurance bike, so no need for the R5 or C5.

It looks like you already have a couple nice rim brake road bikes, I wouldn't buy another. You say you're flexible so the more aggresive geometry of the S3 vs C5 would probably be more comfortable to you. Aero is the way things are going ATM, I'd follow suit. If you don't already own a bike with an electronic groupset, you should get one. It'll be the bike that you grab when you're heading out and want to really enjoy the ride.

Shrike

by Shrike

None of the three. You're getting shoehorned into expensive purchases because the guy's your mate or whatever.

Find a bike you really love then wait until you can afford it/get it at the price you want/build it from eBay parts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I think i would skip this to.
Partly because i want all parts to be of my own choice.
I just refuse to have a bike with parts i don't want.
Buy a frameset that you like and go from here.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.