201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

berest

by berest

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:26 am
Going to depend on how wide they actually are with your rims.
Yupp, that's the question!
morganb wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:36 pm
I can fit a 28mm Open Corsa G+ on a 21mm internal rim (Quill) without any issues. Measures just under 31mm. I would run something other than Gatorskins though unless you are getting flats every day. Super high rolling resistance tire for such a racy bike.
# Cool, thanks.
# Well, i know for sure that i want exactly 28. The reason for Gator Hardshells is that Sprint is gonna be an all-arounder for me. I'm not a racer. And the second thing is that in my hometown we have really terrible and bumpy roads with tons of small metal/glass pieces on it; puncture protection and long lasting is more important for me in my case than speed characteristics. However i may look at another Contis too, like Grand Prix 4-Seasos or Gator Hardskin.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

While Gator are good at resisting puncture, their grip is simply not up to modern standard. if i'm not mistaken, It doesn't even have silica in their compound, let alone any other advanced material.
If you truly use the bike in all conditions, having much better wet grip of the GP 4-Seasons is a nice perk. Gatorskin is fine if you never ever going to corner hard in wet.
Pirelli Pzero Velo 4S is another great choice for all round tires.
Tire pressure also play roles in reducing sharp object puncture. Tire with low pressure deform around object better and more resist to cut compare to stretched and forced into solid shape high pressure set-up.

My Allez Sprint disc have more than 3mm clearance at all side around 30.xmm measured tire. Their clearance is just amazing.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

@berest

This.
Hexsense wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:31 pm

Tire pressure also play roles in reducing sharp object puncture. Tire with low pressure deform around object better and more resist to cut compare to stretched and forced into solid shape high pressure set-up.
I run Pro Ones and Maxxis Padrones tubeless at about 75-80psi (I’m over 200lbs) and rarely get punctures. When I ran tubes, I’d go through at least one every 4-6 weeks.

Bonus, running tubeless at low pressure makes this bike as comfortable as any carbon frame I’ve ridden with standard clinchers.

Might be worth a look if your rims are tubeless ready.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

berest

by berest

Hexsense and IrrelevantD

Thanks buddies!
That was my mistake, by saying all-arounder i meant that it should be a versatile tire that will roll fast, grip well and at the same time it should be long lasting and with a great puncture protection. But i do not ride my bicycle in wet/rain/winter etc, it just goes out of my comfort zone :mrgreen: . So only dry conditions for sure. 80% of them are roads/city/fast home-to-work commuting and the rest 20% is could be a light gravel or sandy sections.

Regarding tubeless: i know all the advantages of tubeless, bit still prefer regular versions with inner tubes.

Also i've made some research, and according to reviews i came to a conclusion that i wanna try a new Pirelli's Cinturato tyres. Seems like they are the perect choice for me, and rolls/grips the way better than all the Gators + GP 4-Seasons that i mentioned before.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... -velo-2018
https://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/art ... yre-52354/

The only thing is everybody says(according to reviews) that their actual size is bigger/wider than it's claimed dimensions.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

New wheels on my Allez Sprint. Bike is down to 7.2kg now.
Attachments
IMG_2844.jpg

eins4eins

by eins4eins

quick question.
the headset bearings are in a cup, which is pressed into the steerer tube. can i just knock those out?
I want a shop nearby to chemically strip the paint from my red hook version and the bearings need to be out for that.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Yes..., they can be removed. When I've seen someone do it, they used a tool like this to knock them out.

but wait.... You're going to strip a RHC bike? why? You're going to to completely destroy the value of that frame, removing the paint, unless its already damaged. IMO, yo'd be better off selling the RHC frame, as you can get top dollar for it and then buying a normal sprint frame to strip.

morganb

by morganb

Just sell your Red Hook and buy a bare frame. You will be able to get what you paid for it out of it.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

The frame is perfectly fine. I also thought it would be easy to sell, but its not. Its listed here as well as on various german pages for three weeks now, but nobody wants it. Price is 10% below retail for standard colorways and i won't sell it for less, as i would then need to pay extra cash just to get another colorway which i would respray anyway. Wouldn't make sense.

pyrahna

by pyrahna

eins4eins wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:20 pm
The frame is perfectly fine. I also thought it would be easy to sell, but its not. Its listed here as well as on various german pages for three weeks now, but nobody wants it. Price is 10% below retail for standard colorways and i won't sell it for less, as i would then need to pay extra cash just to get another colorway which i would respray anyway. Wouldn't make sense.
Ahh...it's a '19 RHC instead of a '18 RHC.....personally the '19 paint job isn't my cup of tea.....and the overall market seems to agree as well. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get your money out of a '18 RHC.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

pyrahna wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:24 pm
eins4eins wrote:
Ahh...it's a '19 RHC instead of a '18 RHC.....personally the '19 paint job isn't my cup of tea.....and the overall market seems to agree as well. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get your money out of a '18 RHC.
I'd LOVE if I could find an '18 RHC in a 52

pyrahna

by pyrahna

Sock3t wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:13 pm
pyrahna wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:24 pm
eins4eins wrote:
I'd LOVE if I could find an '18 RHC in a 52
Just to rub it in, I've got one on the wahoo behind me. The money that would be required for me to part with it can only be described as....stupid.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I think you guys are confusing the years... there is no 2019 RHC frame... yet.

this is 2017.

this is 2018.

If anyone is looking for an '18, my local shop has a few, 52, 54 and 56.

pyrahna

by pyrahna

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:10 pm
You are absolutley correct and it's my fault....sorry.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sock3t

by Sock3t

pyrahna wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:26 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:10 pm
You are absolutley correct and it's my fault....sorry.
I was wrong as well. That 2017 is amazing.