tubeless for lazy wannabe roadies

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zendoflex

by zendoflex

I mainly use a track bike for everyday use and my roadbike only on nice summer days or weekends. I want to try out tubeless because of the comfort and the ability to ride cobblestones and of course because it's new and I am a hipster - but I hate the idea of dryed sealant because my road bike tires will at least last for a whole year.

So I have an idea and would like to ask you guys if this is possible.

1. inflate the tire with a minimum of sealant in the beginning of the season (maybe 5-10ml) until I can pump it up to 5 bar
2. once i get my first puncture, put a bit of fresh sealant in, rotate the wheel, inflate with co2
3. continue riding
4. once i get the next puncture, put a bit of fresh sealant in, rotate the wheel, inflate with co2
5. ...

is this a possible scenario to avoid changing and cleaning tires multiple times each season?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Try reading this. If there was this info posted on a neutral site then I would link that.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/blogs/news ... patibility

The things you identify are not in my radar. I never remove my tyres unless I intend to replace them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Put more sealant in, it won't dry out so fast.
How long do you leave the bike because as long as the tyre bead stays seated it'll take around 3-4 months to dry out, without use. 6 months or so with regular use.

Also, sealant is less than 25% solids as far as i can remember. So as long as you don't get a sealant alien, you'll be fine.

Don't use CO2 unless you absolutely have to.

And FWIW I raced on cobbles before tubeless was invented. You don't need tubeless to do it, just the right tyres.

zendoflex

by zendoflex

It happens that I leave my bike for some weeks or even a month during season and during off-season the bike is not moved for at least 4 month in a row. So I might not change my front tire for 2 years. That could add up to 200 extra grams of dried sealant... I really don't want that.

@bmoploof: I know this article and I am really struggling to find a connection to my question. seems that I can't grasp it with my radar either... I didn't ask how to properly install or inflate my tire nor did I ask which sealant to use. I asked if it is possible to use way less sealant and only reactively use sealant instead of proactively and all that at the cost of co2 and less puncture resistance.

mattr

by mattr

Whut?
200 grams of dried sealant?
Thats the solids from a bottle or so. 60ml (the typical amount needed to seal an mtb tyre) is only around 10-15 grams of solids. Give or take. The rest will evaporate, eventually.

And no, it isn't possible to use tiny amounts of sealant. Seal it properly with a proper volume of sealant and it won't dry out so quickly anyway.

zendoflex

by zendoflex

ah ok, I didn't know that it loses so much weight when drying. Cool. I guess I'll try it then.

kode54

by kode54

The CO2 will eventually leak over time. use a pump once you set the bead. If you get a flat, you can use CO2, but don't overinflate, the sealant won't hold high pressure with a puncture right away. In a pinch, I use CO2 to get the tire to seal up since I don't have a compressor. Thinking about getting an AirShot or something similar so I don't waste CO2 cartridges. I use 2oz of sealant total...and top off after a few months and if no punctures. I top off less than an ounce.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

zendoflex wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:22 pm
I mainly use a track bike for everyday use and my roadbike only on nice summer days or weekends. I want to try out tubeless because of the comfort and the ability to ride cobblestones and of course because it's new and I am a hipster - but I hate the idea of dryed sealant because my road bike tires will at least last for a whole year.

So I have an idea and would like to ask you guys if this is possible.

1. inflate the tire with a minimum of sealant in the beginning of the season (maybe 5-10ml) until I can pump it up to 5 bar
2. once i get my first puncture, put a bit of fresh sealant in, rotate the wheel, inflate with co2
3. continue riding
4. once i get the next puncture, put a bit of fresh sealant in, rotate the wheel, inflate with co2
5. ...

is this a possible scenario to avoid changing and cleaning tires multiple times each season?
I've been running road tubeless for over 10 years now.
Here's my take on your questions...

If you're not teribly worried about weight increase over time, this will kinda work. I'd say minimum sealant you should put in is about 1-1/2 oz for a 25c or smaller (40ml). If you run 28 or larger, 2oz (60ml). If you get a puncture and notices sealant spraying for a few seconds or more and it doesn't seal up right away, you can throw in 1/2 to 1oz to top it up. I've done this, but generally if it's a big enough hole that I notice it, I'll remove the tire and put a tube patch on it.

DO NOT INFLATE WITH CO2 UNLESS IT's AN ABSOLUTE EMERGENCY. The rapid temperature change will cause the sealant to harden. You might be OK if you keep the valve stem at 12 o'clock and air it up really slow, but if you use CO2 you really should remove the tire and check the sealant when you make it back home. I keep a CO2 cartarage in my seat pack, but I also cary a small hand pump. CO2 is reserved for if the bead comes off the rim. The nice thing about tubeless is even a 25c won't really get squirmy feeling until it gets down into the 3-3.5bar range.

Personally, I remove and re-seal my tires about every 6-8 months, but I have left spare wheels in the garage over the winter and found liquid sealant in them 3 months later. As with everything, your milage may vary.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

pjctyk

by pjctyk

bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:40 pm
Try reading this. If there was this info posted on a neutral site then I would link that.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/blogs/news ... patibility

The things you identify are not in my radar. I never remove my tyres unless I intend to replace them.
Nice guide :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com