Extralite ExtraBolt 3.6 weight
Extralite Hypercap cap weight
Extralite Hypercap cap weight
Extralite Hypercap bolt weight
Extralite Hypercap bolt weight
Extralite Hyperstem -12deg 11cm stealth weight
Extralite Hyperstem -12deg 11cm stealth weight
Not on photos: Powercordz.

This round on upgrades should place the bike into 5750g territory. After that, there won't be much to upgrade without performance/features sacrifice: THM Clavicula SE for ~60g (no complains other than the price, also will need new chainrings), Rotor Uno cassette for ~30g (questionable durability), Aerolite style pedals for ~90g (will require new shoes as I ride regular SPD XC-50, one pair for both bikes), AX-Ligtness shallow tubulars for ~360g (shallow, expensive, no experience with tubulars), Gelu saddle for ~30g (price and narrower than Lupina). Total of ~570g saved and ~5180g total, pretty much on par with @madcow's creation and still some to go with another frame. Not sure if I want to go there all the way, but I said the same in my first post and see where I'm now :lol:
Last edited by Klaster_1 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

As you might know, I have a pair of Schmolke carbon shifter clamps lying around, so I've checked compatibility of these with new parts:
1. Unlike with Hylix Ergonova, the clamps slide onto Darimo Ellipse effortlessly up until the clamp area, but when paired with shifter the leverage is just right to adjust the position without the fear of breaking stuff.
2. Schmolke clamp bolts fit snugly into ST-R9120 holes, which is not the case with ST-RS685.
3. ST-R9120 clamp recess height is not tall enough, it's 14mm while clamps are 17.4mm. I know some people successfully removed material from Red levers in order to fit the same clamps, maybe I can do the same? I'd appreciate feedback, as in how much material was removed, recess height and if Red shifter bodies are plastic like ST-R9120.
IMG_20181201_155125.jpg
IMG_20181201_155115.jpg

4. Shimano clamps are 21.54g for a pair, some parts are steel, see photos below. Carbon clamps will save ~10g and there's space to tune stock clamps with TP kit for 3.8g.
Shimano ST-R9120 clamp washer (steel)
Shimano ST-R9120 clamp washer (steel)
Shimano ST-R9120 clamp bolt
Shimano ST-R9120 clamp bolt
Shimano ST-R9120 clamp bolt head (steel)
Shimano ST-R9120 clamp bolt head (steel)
Shimano ST-R9120 clamp band (Ti)
Shimano ST-R9120 clamp band (Ti)

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

That was scary! With 4nm and carbon paste the lever seems to hold in place as well as with stock clamp, no rotation. The Schmolke aluminium nut is too long though, even with a washer, so I'm gonna shorten it.
Attachments
IMG_20181211_211725.jpg
IMG_20181211_211411.jpg
IMG_20181211_211714.jpg

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

My BTP clamps didn't fit on the bar in the sense they were too loose. ht ebike shop even sheared on of the bolts in half trying to get them to tighten enough. I might investigate the Schmolke ones though. Which version do you have? the 24mm version?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

dereksmalls wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:47 am
Which version do you have? the 24mm version?
Yeah, I saw your post, pretty unfortunate. Did the LBS try carbon paste? It really made the difference in my case. The clamps are 24mm, 27.5mm clamps are for Schmolke Fullover bar only.

cveks

by cveks

what is quality of ride on harsh roads of this frameset? Are you satisfied with it?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

cveks wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:51 am
what is quality of ride on harsh roads of this frameset? Are you satisfied with it?
Sorry, but nothing besides "works for me". First, no other road frames to compare with. Second, my routes tend to be on recently repaired roads. Some sections include really crappy tarmac patchwork, but IMHO that's a job for bigger volume tires rather than frame characteristics.

jencvo

by jencvo

Got a link to the exact bar tape, manufacturer's site or something similar? What is the grip and the feel like? Cheers.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

jencvo wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:09 pm
Got a link to the exact bar tape, manufacturer's site or something similar? What is the grip and the feel like? Cheers.
Probably a local russian brand, costs about 4USD per 25m roll. Other manufacturers should offer similar products, like Tesa 51608. The grip is OK and it feels nice to touch, but no damping whatsoever, so I wear padded gloves (partially because I don't want any more wrist scars). Honestly, when I put it on I did not have high expectations, before that I used Deda Traforato (still got four new rolls), SRAM cork tape and thick Velo Gel tape (nothing else available in LBS) and can't honestly say that I prefer one over another.
Attachments
833aab764c6f28d1e29dd54226480119.jpeg

jencvo

by jencvo

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:32 pm
jencvo wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:09 pm
Probably a local russian brand, costs about 4USD per 25m roll. Other manufacturers should offer similar products, like Tesa 51608. The grip is OK and it feels nice to touch, but no damping whatsoever, so I wear padded gloves (partially because I don't want any more wrist scars). Honestly, when I put it on I did not have high expectations, before that I used Deda Traforato (still got four new rolls), SRAM cork tape and thick Velo Gel tape (nothing else available in LBS) and can't honestly say that I prefer one over another.
Thanks mate! Love this thread.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

The direct mount hanger is progressing slowly. This week I 3D printed the model to check the fit: the dropout interface fits OK, but the hanger to RD interface requires minor adjustment. Gonna print another one and then start looking to machining shop willing to accept a FreeCAD project. Any ideas where to remove material from? I want to achieve the same effect as if without the bracket axle unit (11.97g) and stock hanger (11.67g). Current DM hanger weight estimate is 12.55g, I already used some ideas from the BAU, which is substantially shaped.
Attachments
Custom Hongfu FM079 direct mount hanger fit
Custom Hongfu FM079 direct mount hanger fit
Custom Hongfu FM079 direct mount hanger CAD preview
Custom Hongfu FM079 direct mount hanger CAD preview

joejack951

by joejack951

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:11 pm
Gonna print another one and then start looking to machining shop willing to accept a FreeCAD project. Any ideas where to remove material from? I want to achieve the same effect as if without the bracket axle unit (11.97g) and stock hanger (11.67g). Current DM hanger weight estimate is 12.55g, I already used some ideas from the BAU, which is substantially shaped.
You shouldn't have issues using FreeCAD to generate a file for a machine shop. Any good shop will be able to accept a STEP (or if really school, IGES) file export to use to machine your part. If you run into issues I can help convert it to Solidworks or Parasolid if that helps you get it done.

I'm also willing to comment on material removal if you can send/upload a 3D file for me to look at.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Some updates:
1. RD hanger still in progress, I'm at the fitting stage, this and that are not exactly right and it takes a while to print, tap and check. Finding material is challenging too! The company I plan to CNC hanger at advised to use 7005 or 7075 aluminium alloy, but they can't source either at the moment, the best they can offer is 2024. The aluminium plant in my city is the second largest, but that does not help at all.
Hongfu FM079 DM hanger, 3D printed for fitting purpose
Hongfu FM079 DM hanger, 3D printed for fitting purpose

2. I've been thinking about this mod for a while: 3D printed BB cover plate and plastic BB guide/cover and cable guide screws. Should drop ~10g.
Hongfu FM079 3D printed bottom bracket cover
Hongfu FM079 3D printed bottom bracket cover
3. Today I received an assortment of small pieces from Titaniumplanet. Their CF lever washer is lighter than stock and thicker, exactly what I needed for Schmolke bolts to fit, but sharp protruding corners require sanding down.
Shimano ST-R9120 with Schmolke clamp nut (Al) and Titaniumplant CF washer
Shimano ST-R9120 with Schmolke clamp nut (Al) and Titaniumplant CF washer
Titaniumplanet Shimano lever washer (CF)
Titaniumplanet Shimano lever washer (CF)
Shimano ST-R9120 lever nut washer
Shimano ST-R9120 lever nut washer
Titaniumplanet Shimano lever bolt (Ti)
Titaniumplanet Shimano lever bolt (Ti)
Titaniumplanet Shimano lever nut (Ti)
Titaniumplanet Shimano lever nut (Ti)
4. Still looking for a can of black Plasti Dip for DIY lever hoods. Local shops only offer 5L buckets of stuff and Moscow shops suddenly list it as out of stock. The CF cloth has been delivered a while ago. Maybe I should try transparent Plasti Dip? That will look ghetto for sure.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Today I sanded the TP CF washers down to fit ST-R9120. The final result saves 10.26g over ST-R9120 stock hardware and requires to modify lever (goodbye, warranty), washer and nut, the clamp is a tight fit on some bars too. Is 10g worth all the time and money (58€ sans shipping) spent? Who knows, but I sure had fun DIY time this winter and second lever still has to be modified.
Attachments
IMG_20190216_154833.jpg
IMG_20190216_154922.jpg
ST-R9120 stock clamp assembly
ST-R9120 stock clamp assembly
ST-R9120 stock clamp assembly tuned with Titaniumplanet hardware.
ST-R9120 stock clamp assembly tuned with Titaniumplanet hardware.
Schmolke CF clamp, Schmolke aluminium nut and Titaniumplanet CF washer
Schmolke CF clamp, Schmolke aluminium nut and Titaniumplanet CF washer

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Last week I put some of the new parts on, here are the results:
1. Plastic BB cover/guide and cable stop bolts, total saving of 3.43g:
Plastic (acryl) BB guide/cover bolts
Plastic (acryl) BB guide/cover bolts
Stock (steel) BB guide/cover bolts
Stock (steel) BB guide/cover bolts
Plastic (acryl) cable stop bolts
Plastic (acryl) cable stop bolts
Stock (steel) cable stop bolt
Stock (steel) cable stop bolt
2. 3D printed BB cover, super ghetto fit, I might consider another version later. Saving of 4.94g.
Custom plastic BB cover
Custom plastic BB cover
Stock (CF) BB cover
Stock (CF) BB cover
IMG_20190301_173541.jpg
IMG_20190301_173551.jpg
3. ExtraBolt 3.6 lockring and removal of rubber rings from XG-1190, 10g less than stock 159g:
XG-1190 11-26 with Extralite ExtraBolt 3.6 and no rubber rings
XG-1190 11-26 with Extralite ExtraBolt 3.6 and no rubber rings
4. Replaced CaneCreek eeTop, -7 deg Kalloy Uno 110mm, J&L hollow Ti bolts with Extralite HyperCap and -12 deg HyperStem 110mm. Had to swap 1.3g aluminium steerer spacer with 1.8g FSA polycarbonate one due to stem stack difference. I really like how level top tube and stem compliment each other, and thicker stem has it's own charm too, will post the photos later. Not sure if I'd appreciate a -6 deg look of upcoming Darimo stem. Savings are 18.82g.
5. Darimo T1 loops, -6.2g.

Items to put on: tuned ST-R9120, Powercordz, Darimo Ellipse. These will have to wait until April.

The J&L BSA30 bottom bracket turned out pretty subpar: rubber shields instead of Zipp metal; obligatory spacers that hang down from thread because of diameter mismatch; super flimsy bearings; not compatible with BSA30 wrench and I don't a Hollowtech socket either. On the other hand, this might be an interesting option to get narrower BB stance in a regular 68MM English threaded shell:
J&L BSA30 BB
J&L BSA30 BB

Current speadsheet weight is 5914,69g with ~5700g target. After that saving options become super limited, will change the nature of bike and cost a ton. For example: climbing tubulars, like from Fairwheel's build for ~300g; R1r brakes with drop bar adapters and 1x Xshifter setup for ~150g (this enables quite a bit of cassette and RD options); Aerolite pedals for ~80g; THM Clavicula SE for ~50g. These sum to ~5120g, not sure if sub-5 would be possible or yield a reliable enough bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com