Trek Madone SLR (RIM) custom

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

feynman82

by feynman82

Just got my madone slr fixed up and custom painted. Etap groupset, rotor qarbon chainring, 18/18t ridea ospw, ultralight ybn chain.

Ceramic bearings for the BB, pulley and wheels (swapped out the stock zipp bearings).

Rides like a dream, smooth, snappy and fast, well, large part is probably due to new bike syndrome.

Size 52 at 7.3kg with revoloop inner tubes. Can't get it lighter without sacrificing comfort.

p/s, those motifs are feynman diagrams
madone slr.jpg
madone slr 2.JPG
madone slr 3.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slijkplaat

by slijkplaat

nice bike !

Mep

by Mep

Love how you're sacrificing the helmet for a bike stand. Where did you get the paint job done?

feynman82

by feynman82

Mep wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:25 pm
Where did you get the paint job done?
https://m.facebook.com/paintextreme/ they do a fine job in cusomtizing art and paintwork for bikes.

cajer

by cajer

How's the rim brakes on that? I heard the older version (pre 2018) weren't very good. Also what powermeter options are there for it?

sychen

by sychen

Really nice paint job..
What brand are those dinner plate sized jockey wheels?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

feynman82

by feynman82

cajer wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:27 am
How's the rim brakes on that? I heard the older version (pre 2018) weren't very good. Also what powermeter options are there for it?
Only marginal improvement on the brake, but i am using textured brake on the zipp nsw so even for downhill, it is still okay. Due to some cabling issue by my mechanics, the modulation isn't that good, but i think some mechanical adjustment should fix that.

quarq gxp crank powermeter. :o or garmin vectors.

feynman82

by feynman82

sychen wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:17 am
What brand are those dinner plate sized jockey wheels?
Ridea - 18/18t ceramic jockey wheels

Mep

by Mep

Very cool, hadn't heard of them before. Might check them out next time I'm in Singapore. Congrats on the Madone, it's an amazing bike in many ways.. especially on the coastal route :)

cajer

by cajer

feynman82 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:17 am
cajer wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:27 am
Only marginal improvement on the brake, but i am using textured brake on the zipp nsw so even for downhill, it is still okay. Due to some cabling issue by my mechanics, the modulation isn't that good, but i think some mechanical adjustment should fix that.

quarq gxp crank powermeter. :o or garmin vectors.
I was really considering the Madone from my gen 1 (2011) Cervelo S5 as it's a bit flexy and maybe a bit harsh. But after hearing about marginal braking (I have firestrikes with the same brake track as the NSW's) I'm not so certain anymore. As I am not sold on disc brakes espically after the recent tour test which showed that the disc brake version of bikes are slower than their rim braked cousins. Also I'd have to replace my Power2Max K-Force light crank which I love.

I might wait to see what Felt does with their AR refresh (if they release a rim braked version also).

feynman82

by feynman82

The braking on the integrated madone brakes isn't shabby, just not best in class. That said pro still tour on it, and if you will be using the bike on hilly terrain, it is better to go disc. If mainly flat, the brakes can easily handle those conditions.

In fact, the combination of Madone + NSW braking system is sharper than my old DA9000 + Bora Ultra.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Great looking bike. Deserves a proper profile shot not from below. Not a fan of the large jockeys appearance wise, do they shift any different.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice. Great colour! The oversized pulleys look cool, too.

bencolem

by bencolem

feynman82 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:07 am
Size 52 at 7.3kg with revoloop inner tubes. Can't get it lighter without sacrificing comfort.
Yes you can - wheels. I have Schmolke TLO 45’s on my rim brake Madone; good bit lighter than those zipps.

Great looking bike btw.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

feynman82

by feynman82

NiFTY wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:34 pm
do they shift any different.
Not apparent to me. But requires more effort to move off on the same gear but it gives higher TOP speed.