S-works Tarmac SL6, Campy SR12, P2M, Zipp 404 Firecrest 19'

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

zappafile123

by zappafile123

build
  • 2019 Specialized S-works Tarmac SL6
    2019 Zipp 404 Firecrest (new version which is basically G1 NSW rims + 77/177 hubs)
    Zipp Skewers (not sure if they are the Ti version)
    Michelin Power Tires 23c/25c
    Vittoria Latex tubes
    Campy SR12 Shifters
    Campy SR12 RD
    Campy Record 12 FD
    Campy SR 11-29 cassette
    Campy SR12 Chain
    Campy BB30 UT BB
    Campy Power2max 11spd 5-bolt
    Campy Record 11 Direct Mount brakes
    FSA OS-99 110mm stem
    FSA K-force Compact Nano 40cm
    Lizard Skins DSP 1.8mm
    Selle SMP Composit Saddle, Carbon Rail
    Speicalized S-works bottle cages
    Wahoo Elemnt Bolt mount
    Dura-ace 9100 Pedals
    weight: 7.13 kg
What can I say? Its the first time I drank the cool-aide and I'm really impressed. From what I've ridden, I'd say its best in class as an allrounder. That being said I haven’t ridden everything, so that’s tantamount to saying its at least up there with the best. I could have gone onto either a 52 or a 54… I chose the latter for resale (hence the chunk of steerer tube above). In retrospect, I should have gone for the 52 given the real-world fit. The 54’s 384 mm reach feels longer than my now sold 53 Oltre XR4 with a 385 mm reach.

It feels noticeably fast. It's got just the right amount of stiffness. Its responsive - you hammer, it goes. Its nice and light. It's planted and doesn’t feel skittish like a climbers bike. Handling is solid and reliable. Comfort, whilst not amazing, is quite good give the style of bike. High frequency buzz is perhaps its biggest downfall, it does an ok job of filtering out big hits. Its a riders bike. Its for people who want a no-bullshit racing bike. Its for people who want to ride and feel fast. It ain't no Oldman’s bike like that friggen C60 I just had.

Three comments on components.

First, campy SR12 is in some ways not as refined as campy SR11. Sure, rear shifting is a snappier (i.e. crisper feel at the lever, and faster shifting), but its harder work on, is noisy (though some groups are apparently not noisy which has to make one wonder what’s going on there). On the flip side it has a distinct assertive shift. I'm also annoyed that I'm forced onto an 11-tooth cog which I don’t need. This makes the entire 12 speed thing redundant. Its also heavier. So... yeah, it seems as though the same thing has happened as occurred with gen1 11spd - it was a bit off the mark. I'm sure gen 2 12speed will be better. I haven't noticed any adverse affect for using 11spd rings. Front shifting works perfectly. The noise comes from the RD.

Second, New Zipp 404's. I've summed these up on another thread. Excellent wheels. Also best in class as a race wheel.

Finally... making it lighter on a budget.
I'm thinking about getting an extralite -8 degree stem. Not sure if they're a reliable product however.

There's also those ultralight 8g German bottle cages on eBay. Those two changes would save about 75g for about $500.

I could get EE brakes... but that seems like a lot to spend for an inferior brake. There's another 170g (Trek DM brakes could be a cheaper alternative).

I could go for those Tubolito tubes, but I hear they ramp up rolling resistance.

I'm also thinking about moving to Speedplay pedals so I can get a narrower stance (atm my cleats are dialled in so my stance is as narrow as I can go, but I need to go narrower.
Attachments
20190127_113620.jpg
20190127_113606.jpg
Last edited by zappafile123 on Sat May 02, 2020 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

zappafile123 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:23 am

I could get EE brakes... but that seems like a lot to spend for an inferior brake.
Exactly

Killer build you have there. Comparing to my SL6 Disc would have guessed lighter.

Whats the weight of the wheelset? How about some resonable skewers? DT swiss RWS Ti? Opportunity for weight loss in the bar and stem...

Ever consider 28mm rubber? K-edge aero mount for the Wahoo...

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Rich_W wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:10 pm
zappafile123 wrote:

I could get EE brakes... but that seems like a lot to spend for an inferior brake.
Exactly

Killer build you have there. Comparing to my SL6 Disc would have guessed lighter.

Whats the weight of the wheelset? How about some resonable skewers? DT swiss RWS Ti? Opportunity for weight loss in the bar and stem...

Ever consider 28mm rubber? K-edge aero mount for the Wahoo...
Its the power2max (a little under 800g) and the wheels (claimed 1615g). I don't have any scales at home unfortunately so I couldn't weigh individual components. Another option is I could replace the rim strips with electrical tape. I'm not sure if I have the Titanium version of the Zipp skewers or the Steel - but the Ti verson are only 53g.

I wouldn't get 28c beuase that makes riding 404's pointless hahaha. Though I'm sure it would make the ride nice and plush. Dont see the point of a K-edge mount when the bolt mount is lighter and functions perfectly.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

liam7020

by liam7020

I have EE brakes on my Tarmac and they ain't the least bit inferior. Inferior to what? I've ridden most brakes and the Tarmac specific EEs are up there. In terms of saving weight, is the SMP not a bit of a boat anchor even with the carbon rails? Or is it a necessary, can't be changed component?
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

zappafile123

by zappafile123

liam7020 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:41 pm
I have EE brakes on my Tarmac and they ain't the least bit inferior. Inferior to what? I've ridden most brakes and the Tarmac specific EEs are up there. In terms of saving weight, is the SMP not a bit of a boat anchor even with the carbon rails? Or is it a necessary, can't be changed component?
To be fair, I've never actually used or worked on EE brakes. I've borrowed the opinion of a couple of mechanics I've worked with. I think the more accurate thing to say is they are challenging to setup properly - I think some mechanics think they are inferior to say DA or Campy brakes becuase they havent been able to dial them in. I hear the housing length really needs to be perfect, otherwise they don't work properly.

As for the saddle, I quite like the shape of the composit. Its 160g I think. The thing I like about it is its great for spinal alignment - ride low with a straight back. I'm not sure what a good lightweight alternative would be... I didn't mind Specalized Power or the Pro Stealth so maybe a Berk Dila would be good... but at 160mm its too wide for me.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Untitled.png
quick calculation... could reduce weight by a 567g for approximately $3320 by going back to Campy 11, getting an Sworks PM, and swapping a few little bits I mentioned before.

I think this rig at just over 6.5 kg would be pretty nuts to ride.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

zappafile123 wrote:
It ain't no Oldman’s bike like that friggen C60 I just had.
thats interesting, so colnago is for old slow, guys and specialized is the brand for powerful, young people. will keep this in mind in case i am looking for a new frameset.
regards,

zappafile123

by zappafile123

reedplayer wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:03 am
zappafile123 wrote:
It ain't no Oldman’s bike like that friggen C60 I just had.
thats interesting, so colnago is for old slow, guys and specialized is the brand for powerful, young people. will keep this in mind in case i am looking for a new frameset.
regards,
Kinda yeah, older people tend to ride more slowly - the C60 is arguably more gratifying to ride slowly because of its buttery ride quality, the Tarmac is more gratifying to ride fast because of its responsiveness. I think the more accurate thing to say is the Tarmac is better for racers or riders with a racers mentality. Age has nothing to do with it. I know heaps of 'old' guys that are crazy fast. But the moniker of 'oldmans' bike is apt for a colnago because the market for them is dominated by well-to-do middle-aged and older men who generally don’t ride that fast (at least that’s the case in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra).

liam7020

by liam7020

zappafile123 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:13 am
Kinda yeah, older people tend to ride more slowly -
or
zappafile123 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:13 am
Age has nothing to do with it.
Which is it then? Massive generalization and complete bullsh*te! You keep digging chummie, that hole's getting deeper. And riding a Colnago didn't seem to hold Gaviria back in San Juan stage 1.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

liam7020

by liam7020

Just thinking further about those comments and they sound very like ageism which, certainly in the UK and probably other places, is illegal. If I came on this forum writing about race, religion, skin colour etc, I would quite rightly be vilified and this isn't any different. There's been more than a few age related comments on WW and it's time to stop. MODS WOULD YOU CARE TO COMMENT?

themidge

by themidge

Its not an outrageous generalisation to make that old people tend to ride slower than younger people. Its true overall, even if there are some slow young people and some fast old people. I don't think @zappafile123 meant anything bad by it.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

liam7020 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:55 pm
Just thinking further about those comments and they sound very like ageism which, certainly in the UK and probably other places, is illegal. If I came on this forum writing about race, religion, skin colour etc, I would quite rightly be vilified and this isn't any different. There's been more than a few age related comments on WW and it's time to stop. MODS WOULD YOU CARE TO COMMENT?
You should read the comment again. I clarified the meaning of 'oldmans bike' by saying that age is not necessarily an impediment to riding fast but that Colnago's - specifically C-series Colnago's - are often ridden by a specific group of people, i.e. older men, hence the moniker 'oldmans bike' applies. Older men tend to, but dont necessarily, ride slower than younger men, therefore, they pick ride characteristics that suit their riding style and their budgets. C-series Colgnago's are smooth and, relatively speaking, less responsive - its good for riding slow. They also appeal to wealthier individuals by virtue of their presitge and price tag. I've referenced a stereotype, take a chill pill.

CLEAR

by CLEAR

Nicely build SL6! I'm tired seeing all the local SL6s in shimano discs here. GOOD to see rimbrake still around for current sl tarmac. How tall are you, whats the inseam and saddle height? Ive always been in between 52-54 as well, had both 52 allez, 54 tarmac sl4, 52 sl5 and always been back and forth with my 71cm saddle height.

brahl

by brahl

All hail the mechanical group set and rim brakes!
2020 Litespeed T1sl
2016 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (SL5)
2006 Trek Madone SL 5.9

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tembikaisusu

by tembikaisusu

To me, EE is just as easy to set up as the Shimanos. It's true that braking on my EE doesn't feel as good (smooth, stiff... ), but for the amount of weight saving, I can live with that.
Specialized Allez E5 | S-Works Tarmac SL6 | Pegoretti Marcelo | Pinarello Dogma F10