R5 - Ultimate SL - Tarmac

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

This discussion may sound silly, however I am heading towards a choice between these three frames. (Unless I do something crazy and get a Venge. But that’s another story)

All would be roughly equipped the same, Ultegra Di2, an aero handlebar of some sorts and some 40-50mm rims. So, besides looks and prices (Canyon being much cheaper, R5 and Tarmac around the same) the only difference would be the frame quality and characteristics.

Technically the frames seem to be similar in weight, aero performance and possibly stiffness.

I am not necessarily interested in having brand fanboys touting their own bike as the best. We all love our own bikes and are biased..

What I’m more interested in, is:
- knowing more from people who could test two or more of these, if they felt any difference
- any reasons why I should not pick one of the three
- any lesser known info about either of these bikes (eg maybe Brand X has objectively more issues with stuff like creaking BB etc)

FYI, Canyon being online only doesn’t make a difference, as I will most likely have to move within a while, so possibly I would have to go to a new shop for repairs etc.

Jbass

by Jbass

What type of rider are you? I ask because, to me, the Canyon and Tarmac are in a different class (aero-ish) than the Cervelo (pure climber).

Since the design of the Tarmac has been updated last year, and that it has received very good reviews so far, this would be my choice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TiCass

by TiCass

Jbass wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:46 pm
What type of rider are you? I ask because, to me, the Canyon and Tarmac are in a different class (aero-ish) than the Cervelo (pure climber).

Since the design of the Tarmac has been updated last year, and that it has received very good reviews so far, this would be my choice.
The R5 and the S-Work Tarmac has been measured about the same on the the aero side (Tour Magazine), but weight a tiny little bit more.

robeambro

by robeambro

Jbass wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:46 pm

I am still relatively new to the sport and have lived in the Netherlands since I started, so I can’t really say what rider I am. And I will probably move somewhere unknown within the next 9 months or so, so I can’t even say what use I will make of the bike.

Regarding the aero properties, why would you think so? I seem to recall they all scored very very similarly in the 2018 Tour Magazine aero test. I think the R5 and Tarmac scored within 1-2 watts of each other. So I thought I was picking between three bikes of the same league aero-wise.

Edit: I’ve been anticipated already re: aero. :)

kode54

by kode54

in that case...it might not matter which bike you choose. maybe pick one that you like as far as looks versus anything else. by the time you step up to a different bike, there may be plenty more choices down the road.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

hannawald

by hannawald

R5 is Cervelo top model, why you don't compare to Ultimate SLX? If it is not S works Tarmac than Ultimate may be a lot lighter..

ichobi

by ichobi

Rode all three but owned the Tarmac cause I like the appearance the most. However i tried the Ultimate SLX not the SL

Overall they all ride quite similar. If you like sharp and snappy feeling (this is not about weight just the feel) the R5 stands out from the other two. Not necessarily more stiff just the sensation.

The Ultimate is very comfortable compared to the R5. A bit more than the Tarmac but not distinctly different.

I like the Tarmac because it comes with direct mount brakes. (My preference). It handles very well in descent and in the corner feeling super planted.

All three are excellent choice and can be built into a very light machine. You wont regret choosing one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AyBee

by AyBee

It's unlikely you'll be able to tell much, if any, difference between them - pick the one you like the look of most.

robeambro

by robeambro

hannawald wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:30 pm
R5 is Cervelo top model, why you don't compare to Ultimate SLX? If it is not S works Tarmac than Ultimate may be a lot lighter..
Only cause they don’t offer the SLX with Ultegra Di2.

The Tarmac would be Sworks.

robeambro

by robeambro

ichobi wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:52 pm
Rode all three but owned the Tarmac cause I like the appearance the most. However i tried the Ultimate SLX not the SL

Overall they all ride quite similar. If you like sharp and snappy feeling (this is not about weight just the feel) the R5 stands out from the other two. Not necessarily more stiff just the sensation.

The Ultimate is very comfortable compared to the R5. A bit more than the Tarmac but not distinctly different.

I like the Tarmac because it comes with direct mount brakes. (My preference). It handles very well in descent and in the corner feeling super planted.

All three are excellent choice and can be built into a very light machine. You wont regret choosing one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks! I wasn’t expecting the Ultimate to be the most comfortable (at least for you).

To be honest I think I just would need to see all of them next to each other to decide purely based on looks, so I was hoping there would be some technical argument that would make the choice easier :)

Visus

by Visus

I wouldnt pick the Canyon, reason: bad support, 1 1/4 Fork Shaft, old Design

Go test the cervelo and tarmac and decide on feel

hannawald

by hannawald

robeambro wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:38 pm
hannawald wrote:

Hmmm, strange, in the Czech Rep they do. https://www.canyon.com/cs/road/ultimate ... 0-di2.html
Can´t you buy Dura ace Canyon for the price of ultegra S works Tarmac?:)

robeambro

by robeambro

hannawald wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:35 pm
robeambro wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:38 pm
hannawald wrote:

Hmmm, strange, in the Czech Rep they do. https://www.canyon.com/cs/road/ultimate ... 0-di2.html
Can´t you buy Dura ace Canyon for the price of ultegra S works Tarmac?:)
Yes, but there are two reasons why I wouldn’t.

- as I like it (aesthetically) slightly less than the R5 and Tarmac, I would only buy it as a “cheaper” option;

- to be honest I’m inexperienced and not really worthy of a DA groupset. I will treat myself to a first class frame, and I want an electronic groupset having tried how nice it is.. But to be honest I don’t feel any need of going DA..

robeambro

by robeambro

Visus wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:10 pm
I wouldnt pick the Canyon, reason: bad support, 1 1/4 Fork Shaft, old Design

Go test the cervelo and tarmac and decide on feel
I wish I could test them. Here in the Netherlands, test rides are virtually non existent..

But what’s the issue with the fork? I mean, there will be less choice having only Canyon or Giant stems available, but long as I can put whatever handlebar I want (if I ever wanted to change the stock cockpit, that is), doesn’t sound too bad. Or am I missing something?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markdjr

by markdjr

Do something crazy, get the Venge!