Building road bike from China (F10, 105, CSC 60mm)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dukisha

by dukisha

Hello everybody!

First of all, I would like to say that I am not professional cyclist and I do not care about weight (a lot), but I care about aesthetics and the most important thing for me is that I find my bike beautiful. I enjoy riding and it's only hobby for me. I drive about 5000km per year (average 60km per ride).
I drove mtb bike on the roads and finally the time has come to buy my first road bike.

In my country we don't have many options, it is either Scott or nothing, and it is very hard for me to find the right frame size. Also in my country groupsets are not offered, and not to mention that you can only buy alloy shimano wheels under 150 euros. That is why I have decided to order everything from China.

I will go with Shimano 105 R7000, Chinarello F10 3k frameset and CSC 60mm clincher wheels.

1. I have question for those who use CSC wheels, should I use their official brake pads for carbon wheels or to buy Shimano?

2. I can't decide which stem and handlebar to buy. I was thinking about cheap aero carbon handlebar but I wouldn't play with it, I would never buy carbon stem or handlebar (nor even brand name), so can someone recommend me good alloy stems and handlebars from aliexpress? And what do you think about carbon handlebar and stems? They look good, but are they safe? Why professionals use alloy?

And I would like to ask people who bought chinarello or csc wheels to write their own experience.

osw000

by osw000

About 2. If you trust a chinarello frame I don't see why you wouldn't equally trust china handlebars and stems. Security-wise they are not more critical parts than any other part from the frame or fork.

Some pros stick to aluminium because it's stiffer, and have less flex. Also aluminium is less prone to breaks due to crashes in race situations.

I'm curious what's this country where only Scott is available. Maybe there's a market there. Btw, Scott has great road frames and bikes, and you'll get warranty coverage

Enviado desde mi SM-J530F mediante Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Why Chinarello? Would you wear fake Rolex? If it must be directly from China, why not to consider proven quality cheap framesets from Flyxii, Hongfu, Dengfu, Velobuild? It´s your health, but personally I wouldn´t risk no name fake frame from nowhere just to look good at coffee shop. For example Dengfu on R7000 would be great and pretty cheap build, but P(Ch)inarello on 105?

Next, you´re telling you wouldn´t risk carbon stem/handlebar from proven brand, but you don´t hesitate to order alloy stuff from aliexpress.
Btw. Scott is not bad choice at all.

EDIT: osw000 wrote it first

dukisha

by dukisha

osw000 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:26 pm
About 2. If you trust a chinarello frame I don't see why you wouldn't equally trust china handlebars and stems. Security-wise they are not more critical parts than any other part from the frame or fork.

Some pros stick to aluminium because it's stiffer, and have less flex. Also aluminium is less prone to breaks due to crashes in race situations.

I'm curious what's this country where only Scott is available. Maybe there's a market there. Btw, Scott has great road frames and bikes, and you'll get warranty coverage

Enviado desde mi SM-J530F mediante Tapatalk
Thank you for your answer. I always thought that if frame breaks I can stay alive, but if my handlebar or stem breaks while driving, then it would not be good.
I am from Serbia. We have good offer for mtb but very poor for road bikes. Actually all good Scott models are size L or XL, and I need small sized frames. We have Specialized, only 7 bikes in store waiting for owners, all those 7 are mtb and cx, no road bikes. And that's it. I mean we have 2 brands made in Serbia, Polar and Capriolo, but their best offer is alloy road bike with 2x7 or 8 gears.

Roadrocket wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:34 pm
Why Chinarello? Would you wear fake Rolex? If it must be directly from China, why not to consider proven quality cheap framesets from Flyxii, Hongfu, Dengfu, Velobuild? It´s your health, but personally I wouldn´t risk no name fake frame from nowhere just to look good at coffee shop. For example Dengfu on R7000 would be great and pretty cheap build, but P(Ch)inarello on 105?

Next, you´re telling you wouldn´t risk carbon stem/handlebar from proven brand, but you don´t hesitate to order alloy stuff from aliexpress.
Btw. Scott is not bad choice at all.

EDIT: osw000 wrote it first
I would never wear fake Rolex. The thing is, I really like those Italian curves, and Pinarello geometry (size 51.5) suits me perfect. Chinese copy is 1:1, and I don't care if it is fake. I really like that bike and I am going to buy it (one day I am going to buy original Pinarello). I am not keeping secret, it is CHINARELLO and I am ok with that, I am not going to tell people it is Pinarello.
I don't see what would be the problem with alloy stuff from aliexpress.

This is the https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-NE ... 2e0eyepL0d I am targeting, it is chinese brand opera, it looks nice, it is full alloy (not half carbon), and it is cheap.
I want to know if someone from this forum uses this stuff, if I don't find anybody, I will go to store and buy fizik alloy handlebar and stem (for 3 or 4 times more money).

fabriciom

by fabriciom

Dont listen to the haters do with you money whatever you want.

I've got a fake de rosa sk.

I dont know about you but I rather spend 10 grand in a motorcycle...

Grobar

by Grobar

Ćao brate :)
Where do you live in Serbia ? I am living abroad but come regularly to Serbia, I can bring you a stem and handlebar if needed (I have some spare stuff that I don’t use so if anybody can give them a second life...)

dukisha

by dukisha

Grobar wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:58 pm
Where do you live in Serbia ? I am living abroad but come regularly to Serbia, I can bring you a stem and handlebar if needed (I have some spare stuff that I don’t use so if anybody can give them a second life...)
Svuda nas ima :D
Belgrade. I can't send you private message because I am new member. What do you have? We could arrange something.
Glad to find our people all around the world, especially driving bikes.

fabriciom wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:34 pm

Bro, this is serious! Congratulations!
What wheels do you have? They look awesome!

none

by none

I'm no professional cyclist, I just love working on cool bikes.
I stopped racing a few years ago, mostly ride by myself for the last few years because of work schedule.
I still ride 1500-2000 miles a year, but not many group rides, just with close friends and neighbors that I have been riding with for the last few years.
My first Chinese carbon build was shipped to me by mistake, wrong size frame arrived, the eBay seller refuse to send a replacement frame without additional payment for shipping of teh replacement. I refused to send more payment and disputed the charges with eBay & my credit card company, I got a full refund and a free frame/fork/seatpost.
I completed the built and rode it for about 2-3 rides with my neighbor, frame is just too small for me but my neighbor seemed to like it, so he bought the whole bike from me.

My second Chinese frame was an aero frame, correct size that I ordered, built up complete bike less than $1400.

My 3rd Chinese frame is the same frame as the first, just the correct size.

The 4th Chinese frame is a TT frame, hopefully I get both builds completed by sprign time.

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

This discussion might be more suited to the consolidated Chinese carbon build thread, located at viewtopic.php?p=875965
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves less seriously.

I almost miss Mr Search...

fabriciom

by fabriciom

dukisha wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:23 pm
Grobar wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:58 pm
Svuda nas ima :D
Belgrade. I can't send you private message because I am new member. What do you have? We could arrange something.
Glad to find our people all around the world, especially driving bikes.

fabriciom wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:34 pm

Bro, this is serious! Congratulations!
What wheels do you have? They look awesome!
I build the wheels myself. The rims are from chinese provider through ali and the hubs are novatec, also chinese. I do change the bearings to SKF and the spokes are sapim cxray.

By the way I've read some much crap online about chinese frames braking you could write a book. Yet I have owned 3 frames with parts and only had 1 stem break because I tighten it too much.

Other day I dismantled the frame to check for cracks and it was perfect. Frame is more than 2 years old.

This was my previous copy. Sold it because the white paint turned yellow with the sun.

So would I ever buy a "real" frame. If I have the money to spare and want a nice paint job.

dukisha

by dukisha

@none @fabriciom
You have cool bikes. I have no doubt in chinese carbon frames or wheels.

I have ordered Shimano 105, in the next 10 days will order other parts. Now is not the time for buying from China because they are on holidays for the next 15 days.
In best case scenario I will build my bike in first half of March.
And I have decided to go with these:
Stem: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-NE ... 2e0e5IzCwq
Handlebar: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newest- ... 2e0eCSjaSN

And I will probably buy swisstop brake pads, just because they are cool and i like it.

none

by none

It's Chinese New Year in few days, likely will have some shipment delays.

If you buy carbon wheels from eBay, usually they come with QR skewers and brake pads.

Be careful not to overtighten frame components, items like: front derailleur mount, rear derailleur hanger, internal cable stops, bottom bracket cable guide, water bottle cage mounts, etc.. Some of them have really small screws that can easily have the threads strip when overtightened and easily ruin the frame.

@dukisha how much do you weigh?
Just remember with these hollow-mold frames/wheels, any road noises are going to resinate and amplified within the hollow spaces, sometimes it can be unnerving especially with a rock hit or sharp impact.

dukisha

by dukisha

none wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:48 pm
It's Chinese New Year in few days, likely will have some shipment delays.

If you buy carbon wheels from eBay, usually they come with QR skewers and brake pads.

Be careful not to overtighten frame components, items like: front derailleur mount, rear derailleur hanger, internal cable stops, bottom bracket cable guide, water bottle cage mounts, etc.. Some of them have really small screws that can easily have the threads strip when overtightened and easily ruin the frame.

@dukisha how much do you weigh?
Just remember with these hollow-mold frames/wheels, any road noises are going to resinate and amplified within the hollow spaces, sometimes it can be unnerving especially with a rock hit or sharp impact.
Thanks for advice, i will keep that in mind.

I am now at 75kg (170cm). I am very careful when riding, looking 100 meters in front of me searching for bumps and holes :D
I think these wheels and frame can handle me, especially that I weight about 70kg when it is "bike season". I have a firend who has 20kg over, and spokes on his rear carbon Bontrager wheel always break (maybe because it is 20 or 16 spokes, i forgot).
And about noises, I really like everything about road bikes, especially noises. I was driving my friend's road bike with carbon wheels, and I adore every noise it makes, even when it goes over bumps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fabriciom

by fabriciom

dukisha wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:29 pm
@none @fabriciom
You have cool bikes. I have no doubt in chinese carbon frames or wheels.

I have ordered Shimano 105, in the next 10 days will order other parts. Now is not the time for buying from China because they are on holidays for the next 15 days.
In best case scenario I will build my bike in first half of March.
And I have decided to go with these:
Stem: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-NE ... 2e0e5IzCwq
Handlebar: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newest- ... 2e0eCSjaSN

And I will probably buy swisstop brake pads, just because they are cool and i like it.
Wiggle sells brake pads for carbon really cheap. They are blue. They are not as good as the swisstop but for the price you cant beat it. Its what I use.