2019 Venge: CLX50 or CLX64?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cerro

by cerro

50's for sure, super wheels that felt really nice when I tried a pair on my Venge :) The 64's are fast when they are up to speed but not as agile and fun going up there.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I have 50.... super nice. I want a front 64 only.. to go with my 321disc
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

parajba

by parajba

I’ve settled on 50. I checked quite a few pictures online and realised that in my size (54) the CLX50 look quite proportionate. Perhaps if I was going to buy a large frame (56, 58) then the CLX 64 would have looked better but with my relatively smallish frame size the CLX50 look absolutely fine and mean.

And yes I agree with the fact that they should feel considerably faster in accelerating due to being 200 gr lighter (1415gr, they must feel quite light!).

robeambro

by robeambro

parajba wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:20 am
I’ve settled on 50. I checked quite a few pictures online and realised that in my size (54) the CLX50 look quite proportionate. Perhaps if I was going to buy a large frame (56, 58) then the CLX 64 would have looked better but with my relatively smallish frame size the CLX50 look absolutely fine and mean.

And yes I agree with the fact that they should feel considerably faster in accelerating due to being 200 gr lighter (1415gr, they must feel quite light!).
Ps. since we're about the same size (well, unsure about your inseam, but I'm same height but I have long limbs, so I'm a bit of a monkey), what made you go for the 54?
I found that the 54 would have quite some saddle to bar drop for me, and the 56 (which would anyway come with a 100mm stem, so I think it is "built" optimally even for that length) would have an appropriate reach & also contain the saddle to bar drop to an acceptable amount.

ichobi

by ichobi

Next you will be wondering about the clx 32. And I must say they don't leave me disappointed. Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

parajba

by parajba

robeambro wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:03 am
parajba wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:20 am

Ps. since we're about the same size (well, unsure about your inseam, but I'm same height but I have long limbs, so I'm a bit of a monkey), what made you go for the 54?
I found that the 54 would have quite some saddle to bar drop for me, and the 56 (which would anyway come with a 100mm stem, so I think it is "built" optimally even for that length) would have an appropriate reach & also contain the saddle to bar drop to an acceptable amount.
I did a bike fit...and they recommended a 54...Re the stem I am in between a 100 stem and a 110, I am going to try the 110 as I ride quite tucked in and have an aggressive position on the bike (or so they say).

hyvent

by hyvent

if you have rolling hills, the 50s front and rear would be ideal.
if you are in a pan flat area, 64s would be more realistic

CEVelo

by CEVelo

CLX50 and call it a day. Among the best allround wheels you can find.

parajba

by parajba

I’ve settled on the 50s, thanks all for the valuable contributions. This is what makes this community so cool.

The LBS told me that the plugs that come with the CLX50 are rubbish and that the tape they come with is better.

But I am sure there is perhaps something even better than their tape.

What’s the consensus...what’s the best thing to buy? Tape, strip, plugs...I am new to tubeless.

cerro

by cerro

ichobi wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:27 pm
Next you will be wondering about the clx 32. And I must say they don't leave me disappointed. Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Happy to have a pair of CLX32 for my Venge :D Superfun

LeDuke

by LeDuke

parajba wrote:I’ve settled on the 50s, thanks all for the valuable contributions. This is what makes this community so cool.

The LBS told me that the plugs that come with the CLX50 are rubbish and that the tape they come with is better.

What’s the consensus...what’s the best thing to buy? Tape, strip, plugs...I am new to tubeless.
Why are you sure there is something better than their tape if you are new to tubeless?

In my ten plus years of running tubeless on MTBs, tape has come away the clear victor. Plugs and rim strips don’t seal well, or weigh/cost too much, respectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parajba

by parajba

LeDuke wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:46 pm
parajba wrote:I’ve settled on the 50s, thanks all for the valuable contributions. This is what makes this community so cool.

Why are you sure there is something better than their tape if you are new to tubeless?

In my ten plus years of running tubeless on MTBs, tape has come away the clear victor. Plugs and rim strips don’t seal well, or weigh/cost too much, respectively.

I guess I just assumed (incorrectly?) that there was something better because their plugs are not good, so I thought It would be the same for their tape.

So are you saying that their tape is perfectly fine and not too heavy and I should just use it?

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I weighed plugs, tape, and strips. Performance wise, tape has been the best, weight wise, tape was the best when I did just one layer.

Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

tabl10s

by tabl10s

parajba wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:10 pm
As per title, I finally decided to order a frameset size 54. I am 69kg x 5’10 (178cm). I live in the south of the UK (rolling hills). It is generally windy.
I used to race. In these days I love my chain gang and racing up the local hills.

What’s the advice from fellow ww? I like the look of the 64 but I believe that they are a bit too much for my 69kg and relatively fat frame. And 200gr heavier than the 64.

At present I’ve ordered the 50, but I would like to hear your thoughts.

I am going tubeless, so the tyres will be all black.
I have all three sets(32/50/64). The Wilier is the least areo, so that got the 32's. The angular Orbea looks great w/64's and S-Works Power saddle(to me).
Last edited by tabl10s on Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ymisyd

by ymisyd

parajba wrote:
LeDuke wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:46 pm

I guess I just assumed (incorrectly?) that there was something better because their plugs are not good, so I thought It would be the same for their tape.

So are you saying that their tape is perfectly fine and not too heavy and I should just use it?
They don't come supplied with the plugs anymore. They arrive boxed with the tubeless rim tape already fitted. Just pop on your tyre, inflate, add some sealant and off you go.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk