Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
Pinguin
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:28 pm

by Pinguin

Beaver wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:08 pm
And one thing about LB: If you are not a too heavy rider, you can always ask to get some rims that are on the lower end of the stated tolerance. So I ended up with 1.300g wheels (36x28mm rim/X-Hubs/CX-Ray), so far trouble free.
Disc or Rim brake?

by Weenie


User avatar
Beaver
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:06 pm

by Beaver

ericoschmitt wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:14 pm
Beaver wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:08 pm
And one thing about LB: If you are not a too heavy rider, you can always ask to get some rims that are on the lower end of the stated tolerance. So I ended up with 1.300g wheels (36x28mm rim/X-Hubs/CX-Ray), so far trouble free.
Interesting. I've been floating from 60 to 65 during this year, but mostly under 63, and aiming to get at 60 again (hopefullly stay there). How much do your rims weight?
I got the complete wheelset, couldn't weigh the rims alone, but hubs and spokes/nipples are ~450g, so around 425g for each rim. NOX Falkor 36R are a bit lighter (410/420g), but twice the price.
Pinguin wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:48 pm
Disc or Rim brake?
Rim brake - the disc rims are lighter...

Pinguin
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:28 pm

by Pinguin

Beaver wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:46 pm
ericoschmitt wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:14 pm
Beaver wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:08 pm
And one thing about LB: If you are not a too heavy rider, you can always ask to get some rims that are on the lower end of the stated tolerance. So I ended up with 1.300g wheels (36x28mm rim/X-Hubs/CX-Ray), so far trouble free.
Interesting. I've been floating from 60 to 65 during this year, but mostly under 63, and aiming to get at 60 again (hopefullly stay there). How much do your rims weight?
I got the complete wheelset, couldn't weigh the rims alone, but hubs and spokes/nipples are ~450g, so around 425g for each rim. NOX Falkor 36R are a bit lighter (410/420g), but twice the price.
Pinguin wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:48 pm
Disc or Rim brake?
Rim brake - the disc rims are lighter...
So what is your experience with Carbon Ti hubs?
And brake track is grooved?

ericoschmitt
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:47 pm

by ericoschmitt

Well, I've just pulled the trigger for a pair of WR56 laced to Bitex. Hoping for the best. I will report back for sure.

I live in Brazil and customs here sometimes are quite slow, so I'm expecting a delay. Now its an exercise of patience!

Global
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:50 am
Location: Dammeron valley Utah

by Global

14646258-9775-4A03-81E2-E80F656839A1.jpeg
Just received light bike 46 deep 21 Id 28 wide disc wheelset . Built with dt 240 straight pull centerlock and cx spokes 675gr front 775gr rear. Happy with them so far mounted 25 gp5000s.
Attachments
9A945244-6030-49C4-9E9D-5D79BB531B74.jpeg
Global :)

User avatar
Beaver
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:06 pm

by Beaver

Pinguin wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:58 pm
Beaver wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:46 pm
ericoschmitt wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:14 pm
Beaver wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:08 pm
And one thing about LB: If you are not a too heavy rider, you can always ask to get some rims that are on the lower end of the stated tolerance. So I ended up with 1.300g wheels (36x28mm rim/X-Hubs/CX-Ray), so far trouble free.
Interesting. I've been floating from 60 to 65 during this year, but mostly under 63, and aiming to get at 60 again (hopefullly stay there). How much do your rims weight?
I got the complete wheelset, couldn't weigh the rims alone, but hubs and spokes/nipples are ~450g, so around 425g for each rim. NOX Falkor 36R are a bit lighter (410/420g), but twice the price.
Pinguin wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:48 pm
Disc or Rim brake?
Rim brake - the disc rims are lighter...
So what is your experience with Carbon Ti hubs?
And brake track is grooved?
The hubs needed to be adjusted after 500km, I hope that was only necessary once. No other issues so far, except the freehub is the loudest I ever owned... :D (the noise can be reduced with DT Swiss grease though) But I don't ride in the rain, the hubs have non contact sealings, so if you wan't a bombproof set, the 240S (100g more) could be a better choice.

I have the old, non grooved brake track - but it's the same with Campy AC3: don't expect too much of a difference:

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/campagn ... et-review/

Image

martinkartin
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:21 am

by martinkartin

Haven’t heard about Light Bicycle but sure looks promising for my next lightweight disc wheel set.
Factor O2 Disc

maxwkh
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:51 pm

by maxwkh

Global wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:04 am
14646258-9775-4A03-81E2-E80F656839A1.jpegJust received light bike 46 deep 21 Id 28 wide disc wheelset . Built with dt 240 straight pull centerlock and cx spokes 675gr front 775gr rear. Happy with them so far mounted 25 gp5000s.
Hi, I'm thinking of getting exactly the same wheelset with the same tyre. What is the inflated width and height of the 25mm GP5Ks on the 21mm internal width rim? Thanks!

rides4beer
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:27 am
Location: SC

by rides4beer

maxwkh wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:56 pm
Global wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:04 am
Just received light bike 46 deep 21 Id 28 wide disc wheelset . Built with dt 240 straight pull centerlock and cx spokes 675gr front 775gr rear. Happy with them so far mounted 25 gp5000s.
Hi, I'm thinking of getting exactly the same wheelset with the same tyre. What is the inflated width and height of the 25mm GP5Ks on the 21mm internal width rim? Thanks!
Also interested! I just ordered the same wheels and plan to run the same tires. I'm guessing they'll be about 27mm on those wheels, but always nice to see some actual measurements.

ericoschmitt
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:47 pm

by ericoschmitt

rides4beer wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:59 pm
maxwkh wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:56 pm
Global wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:04 am
Just received light bike 46 deep 21 Id 28 wide disc wheelset . Built with dt 240 straight pull centerlock and cx spokes 675gr front 775gr rear. Happy with them so far mounted 25 gp5000s.
Hi, I'm thinking of getting exactly the same wheelset with the same tyre. What is the inflated width and height of the 25mm GP5Ks on the 21mm internal width rim? Thanks!
Also interested! I just ordered the same wheels and plan to run the same tires. I'm guessing they'll be about 27mm on those wheels, but always nice to see some actual measurements.
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... 00-tl-2018

They already measure 27 in a 17mm ID rim. So more likely to measure 28,5 or 29 on 21mm ID rim.

I'm also waiting for a pair of LB, they are in transit now. But mine are 30mm wide, 23 ID, 56mm deep. For these rims, someone posted earlier here a pair of Schwalbe G-Ones on them. The 25mm measured 29,5 (or was it 29?) on the 23 ID rim, and according to the website above, this tire has the same measured width as the GP5k (27mm on 17ID). So as yours is a bit narrower, they will probably measure 28,5. Certainly at least 28, which goes above that 105% rule for ultimate wheel aeroness that we actually need so much to win races (well, not really...)

Anyway, continental didn't make 5k in 23mm tubeless, so you will have to live with a tire wider than the rim unless you choose another model for the front wheel, such as Vittoria Corsa Speed in 23mm. I'd do that.

I actually ordered a pair of Corsa Speed in 25mm, might use them on both wheels, but I'm thinking about riding GP5k on the rear wheel for durability and puncture protection - at the cost of <OH MY> 0.5W in rolling resistance. And 60 grams. And leave the rear CS only for races on smooth roads (not likely, not common).

But so far I haven't ordered any GP5k, let's wait the wheels to be here before purchasing anything else. I'll test the tires I have at hand and take note on widths, and based on BRR measurements I then get something else if needed.

bilwit
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:49 am
Location: Seattle, WA

by bilwit

ericoschmitt wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:08 pm
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... 00-tl-2018

They already measure 27 in a 17mm ID rim. So more likely to measure 28,5 or 29 on 21mm ID rim.

I'm also waiting for a pair of LB, they are in transit now. But mine are 30mm wide, 23 ID, 56mm deep. For these rims, someone posted earlier here a pair of Schwalbe G-Ones on them. The 25mm measured 29,5 (or was it 29?) on the 23 ID rim, and according to the website above, this tire has the same measured width as the GP5k (27mm on 17ID). So as yours is a bit narrower, they will probably measure 28,5. Certainly at least 28, which goes above that 105% rule for ultimate wheel aeroness that we actually need so much to win races (well, not really...)
Just FYI, that's at an enormous 100 PSI.

rides4beer
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:27 am
Location: SC

by rides4beer

ericoschmitt wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:08 pm
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... 00-tl-2018

They already measure 27 in a 17mm ID rim. So more likely to measure 28,5 or 29 on 21mm ID rim.

I'm also waiting for a pair of LB, they are in transit now. But mine are 30mm wide, 23 ID, 56mm deep. For these rims, someone posted earlier here a pair of Schwalbe G-Ones on them. The 25mm measured 29,5 (or was it 29?) on the 23 ID rim, and according to the website above, this tire has the same measured width as the GP5k (27mm on 17ID). So as yours is a bit narrower, they will probably measure 28,5. Certainly at least 28, which goes above that 105% rule for ultimate wheel aeroness that we actually need so much to win races (well, not really...)

Anyway, continental didn't make 5k in 23mm tubeless, so you will have to live with a tire wider than the rim unless you choose another model for the front wheel, such as Vittoria Corsa Speed in 23mm. I'd do that.

I actually ordered a pair of Corsa Speed in 25mm, might use them on both wheels, but I'm thinking about riding GP5k on the rear wheel for durability and puncture protection - at the cost of <OH MY> 0.5W in rolling resistance. And 60 grams. And leave the rear CS only for races on smooth roads (not likely, not common).

But so far I haven't ordered any GP5k, let's wait the wheels to be here before purchasing anything else. I'll test the tires I have at hand and take note on widths, and based on BRR measurements I then get something else if needed.
Someone posted that their 25mm GP5Ks measured at 26mm, so hopefully they'll work. If not, I'll drop down to the 23's, not running TL, so no worries there. :thumbup:

ericoschmitt
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:47 pm

by ericoschmitt

bilwit wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:02 pm

Just FYI, that's at an enormous 100 PSI.
Not the guy who measured the 25mm G-one on the 23mm internal width rim. That was 60psi. If BRR measured both to be the same width then...

maxwkh
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:51 pm

by maxwkh

rides4beer wrote:
maxwkh wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:56 pm
Global wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:04 am
Just received light bike 46 deep 21 Id 28 wide disc wheelset . Built with dt 240 straight pull centerlock and cx spokes 675gr front 775gr rear. Happy with them so far mounted 25 gp5000s.
Hi, I'm thinking of getting exactly the same wheelset with the same tyre. What is the inflated width and height of the 25mm GP5Ks on the 21mm internal width rim? Thanks!
Also interested! I just ordered the same wheels and plan to run the same tires. I'm guessing they'll be about 27mm on those wheels, but always nice to see some actual measurements.
Have your wheels arrived yet? How is it?

by Weenie


rides4beer
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:27 am
Location: SC

by rides4beer

maxwkh wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:11 am
Have your wheels arrived yet? How is it?
Not yet, they're delayed due to the Chinese New Year, which I knew they would be. I'll post pics and measurements when they arrive. :thumbup:

Post Reply