Thinking about upgrading: 1998 Bianchi Campione.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thedanplasse

by thedanplasse

This was my first, and current road bike...A little dated, But it's the first bike I've actually thoroughly enjoyed.

It has Campagnolo Mirage currently, But after skimming through some threads on here regarding updating older steel bikes, I'm now re-thinking selling it when I (hopefully) get my new bike.

(First off, I do understand the cost of said project. Just gauging responses from more experienced, and knowledable folk)

That being said; There is much for me to learn about bicycles in general. I've been playing in my head getting a newer groupset ie: Campagnolo Record, or a cheaper alternative Chorus. I'd ideally like to stick with Campy just because I feel it shouldn't have anything but.

As for the stem/fork it seems that people have been talking me out of changing from threaded to threadless solely because the cost outweighs any real benefit. For me this would be primarily for looks. I enjoy the threadless setups because it looks modern/up to date.

Other than that it's wheels (currently on mavic cxp21's), tires (currently Continental gatorskin hardshell 770x25), bars (currently Prima 220 with lizard skin bartape) **I believe**, and seatpost/saddle. I'm still undecided on all of the options regarding those aspects, but I have a couple ideas (which could be swayed if presented with ideas). But this isnt a "WW" build per say... I know it won't be the lightest, or fastest bike around even for steel frames, but it's my bike and I feel that I would enjoy riding, and looking at it even more if I went through with all the work.

This is my first Topic on here, although I have posted in others. What do you Guys think?

Thanks,
Dan.
Last edited by thedanplasse on Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6
2018 Specialized Tarmac Expert Sl5

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

victorduraace

by victorduraace

I would get lighter, middle priced 1500g wheelset, fresh drivetrain parts if needed. Cables, tyres. Maybe quill-ahead adapter with modern stem and compact bars if it improved Your comfort and ofc carbon seatpost. I would get silver 10spd Athena/Centaur if you really need new grouppo. (run out of gears either way or find Ergos uncomfortable)

AJS914

by AJS914

I went through this exercise with my 1990s Guerciotti. I updated it with a Time carbon fork and fresh Campagnolo 10 speed. It looked great but in the end I rode it a few times and then the thrill was gone. My more modern carbon bike was faster and lighter in weight by a couple of pounds.

I would just keep it as is and see if you still want to ride it. Some people enjoy taking their vintage bike out on a Sunday ride. Personally, I'd rather take my fastest bike.

thedanplasse

by thedanplasse

This would be an every now, and again ride for me, but mostly for the wife when we ride together (getting her into it). I love the look of the steel frames with new components, but don't get me wrong I love a modern carbon bike. I first saw this at the local bike shop. The owner of the shop owns an old schwinn with a full ultegra 8000 setup, and then I stumbled across the steel frame thread on here which got my gears turning. I'll be buying a Cervelo R3 ultegra soon hopefully, and you make a good point I may not want to ride it, but I feel like if the upgrades improve ridability I'll be inclined to throw a leg over it more.

I'm leaning towards the Campy Chorus personally.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6

none

by none

What's your budget for upgrades or next bike?

Plan on being competitive or doing regular training rides with local groups?

Any particular type of riding do you participate the most?

Centuries? crits? hill climbs? time trials?

Miller

by Miller

What's the rear spacing on that frame? It's probably 130mm which is ok for modern rim brake groups but it might be old enough to be 126mm.

Other than that detail a modern group should be able to be fitted without issue. Campag Potenza in silver is the usual answer for a retro build such as this.

Back in the day I was very pleased with the move from quill stems to ahead stems. Quill stems were a royal pain in the backside. You could get an adapter to allow use of an ahead stem.

thedanplasse

by thedanplasse

Next bike Ideally dont want to go over $3500 for a Cervelo R3 Ultegra.

This bike being somewhat of a project I don't have a budget set seeing as it's always over what you'd expect it to be. But I have some ideas of components I'd like to use. Still no ballpark for it though.

I don't plan to race at all...Maybe a couple local non-profit races for fun with friends, but not being overly competitive. I ride alone most of the time being fairly new to the sport honestly. I plan to ride to and from work more regularly this year as well. I dont mind riding alone to clear the mind, but group rides look fun. Just kind of wanted to get a grasp on everything, and get a decent bike beforehand, but I do plan to join local bike shop group rides.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6

thedanplasse

by thedanplasse

Miller wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:30 pm
What's the rear spacing on that frame? It's probably 130mm which is ok for modern rim brake groups but it might be old enough to be 126mm.

Other than that detail a modern group should be able to be fitted without issue. Campag Potenza in silver is the usual answer for a retro build such as this.

Back in the day I was very pleased with the move from quill stems to ahead stems. Quill stems were a royal pain in the backside. You could get an adapter to allow use of an ahead stem.
I'm pretty new to all the specifics, so for that question I do not have the answer.

I'd like to stay rim brakes for now to keep some of the cost down, but discs have crossed my mind. (don't read that aloud too fast).
**Edit: I read your comment wrong, I read ' which is ok for modern disc brake groups'**

I'll take a look at potenza too. I guess it's a toss up between potenza, and Chorus, but would like to veer away from silver.
I think a black group, with black wheels, black stem and tape would look killer on celeste personally.

I appreciate all the ideas and reply's too.
Thank you all.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Look565w

by Look565w

Not sure where you’re based, but it’s irrelevant anyway!

Check this thread from LFGSS, you might get some ideas from there:

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/212733/

Enjoy! :-)

thedanplasse

by thedanplasse

Look565w wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:53 pm

Awesome, Thank you.
Work computer blocks it, but I'll check it out when I get home.

I'm based out of Massachusetts, USA.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Look565w

by Look565w

thedanplasse wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:59 pm
Look565w wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:53 pm

Awesome, Thank you.
Work computer blocks it, but I'll check it out when I get home.

I'm based out of Massachusetts, USA.
Sorry Dan, I was using my iphone earlier to post so couldn't see all your details, I see where you are now :?

Anyway, the thread I linked you to is LFGSS "London Fixed Gear Single Speed", lots of really cool stuff & very UK/Euro-centric lingo & humour .......... but some great steel build in there in my opinion.

Take your time & enjoy your "rebuild" ........... if I was you, I would keep the Bianchi, it's your first after all. You alway remember your first love :mrgreen: ........ don't you!? :D

Plus, you won't get much money for it anyway. Even if you get something, somewhere down the line, you'll regret selling it & it'll be too late :cry: ......... I did with some of my bike stuff :shock:

In tems of rear spacing, there's a bit about that in the thread as well, on the 2nd page I think!

Good luck & I'll be following this with great interest, so please keep us posted!

Cheers
Last edited by Look565w on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Rear spacing was already 130 through the 1990’s. The rear hub is compatible with any modern Campag cassette

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

thedanplasse wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:33 pm

This bike being somewhat of a project I don't have a budget set seeing as it's always over what you'd expect it to be. But I have some ideas of components I'd like to use. Still no ballpark for it though.

I don't plan to race at all...Maybe a couple local non-profit races for fun with friends, but not being overly competitive. I ride alone most of the time being fairly new to the sport honestly. I plan to ride to and from work more regularly this year as well. I dont mind riding alone to clear the mind, but group rides look fun. Just kind of wanted to get a grasp on everything, and get a decent bike beforehand, but I do plan to join local bike shop group rides.
:lol: This is fun!
2 year from now, 1) decides that upgrading the Cervelo with a few go-faster bits would be nice; 2) spends ather $3k on upgrages; 3) enters Haute Route event and a dozen local crits.

thedanplasse

by thedanplasse

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:14 pm
thedanplasse wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:33 pm

:lol: This is fun!
2 year from now, 1) decides that upgrading the Cervelo with a few go-faster bits would be nice; 2) spends ather $3k on upgrages; 3) enters Haute Route event and a dozen local crits.
HAH. I don't think I have what it takes for Crit racing. Super sketchy. I do plan to eventually upgrade the wheels, and a few small things on the Cervelo. But won't be "building" the that persay.

Been doing some research on the Threaded to threaded fork procedure. I'll probably start there sooner than later
Columbus Minimal fork
FSA Head set
Not sure what stem to use, but probably something 1 1/8" and a shim.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Look565w

by Look565w

Dan, any chance of some close up images of your Bianchi as it is now? :-)

Cheers