Handlebar width and wrist pain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sparklywheels

by sparklywheels

Hi, does anyone know if having wrist pain due to the wrists rotating inwards (extension of the wrist) is caused by having bars that are too wide? My current bars are the same width as my shoulders at the hoods, but in the drops where I ride frequently the bars are much wider than my shoulders. Thanks!
Last edited by sparklywheels on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Even if your bars are suitably narrow, if your hoods are perfectly straight, your wrists tend to cock inward a little bit. I don't know about everyone else, but I angle my hoods in a couple degrees to better line up with my hand/wrist resting state. I also keep my hoods perfectly level because angling the hoods up puts pressure on the ulnar nerve.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Depends on the kind of pain. Too much weight on the arms, hoods rotated too far down, rough pavement, gripping the bars too tightly can all cause pain and inflammation.

sparklywheels

by sparklywheels

To clarify, I’m referring to the drops position, so unfortunately any hood adjustments wouldn’t affect it. I don’t feel like there is too much pressure, as I usually do all my hard efforts in the drops and wouldn’t be resting too hard on the bars anyways. I would simply try out some cheap bars but the bike is all proprietary parts, and the issue arises only after 30+ minutes so not sure if a bike fit would be able to assess them. I was wondering if narrower bars help or is it not worth the money?
Last edited by sparklywheels on Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparklywheels

by sparklywheels

Double post

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

In the drops, a lot of the time the rider is simply putting too much weight on their hands. How’s you core strength?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

If outside your comfort zone, i guess you apply some tension (strain) that your body simply cope unwell with.
Either look it up medically, or trial and error.
I have not done a bike fit and in the long run (in perspective) i have used up alot of money to test things out.
It's like when you have bad core and position yourself in a way your core is constantly working on keeping things ok.
This causes quite severe fatigue and finally pain on you.
I try to say, this is now happening to your wrists.

Angle of wrist up/down, left right. Weight and strain/ tension.

I would look at width of handlebar and the angling on your wrist in relation to comfort zone.
I am using a 40cm C-C at hoods, 42cm C-C at handlebar tape plug holes size on my bars.
I started off by using 44cm C-C at hoods. Changed to 42cm C-C at hoods.
Comfort of 42 to 40 or vice versa also pend on reach and angle of my hands to bar.

Anyone that can take a pic or two for you so you can share?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

sparklywheels

by sparklywheels

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:50 pm
If outside your comfort zone, i guess you apply some tension (strain) that your body simply cope unwell with.
Either look it up medically, or trial and error.
I have not done a bike fit and in the long run (in perspective) i have used up alot of money to test things out.
It's like when you have bad core and position yourself in a way your core is constantly working on keeping things ok.
This causes quite severe fatigue and finally pain on you.
I try to say, this is now happening to your wrists.

Angle of wrist up/down, left right. Weight and strain/ tension.

I would look at width of handlebar and the angling on your wrist in relation to comfort zone.
I am using a 40cm C-C at hoods, 42cm C-C at handlebar tape plug holes size on my bars.
I started off by using 44cm C-C at hoods. Changed to 42cm C-C at hoods.
Comfort of 42 to 40 or vice versa also pend on reach and angle of my hands to bar.

Anyone that can take a pic or two for you so you can share?
Well I come from a swimming background so there’s no way my core is too weak for cycling. I suppose trial and error is the only way?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sparklywheels wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:24 pm

Well I come from a swimming background so there’s no way my core is too weak for cycling. I suppose trial and error is the only way?
Well you don't swim in the same position you ride a bike, so the same muscles are being engaged differently. Also I'd guess cycling also leverages the lower back muscles more.

dim

by dim

Handle bar width is very important IMHO .... too wide, and you ride like batman with your arms splayed out .... after 60 miles, your wrists and arms start aching

measure your shoulders and get the size appropriate for your width ... my shoudlers are narrow, and I use a 38cm

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/index.php// ... -sizeguide
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

RyanH

by RyanH

You can check if you're putting too much pressure on your hands by getting into the drops and while riding, move both hands to behind your back. If that is a problem, then your balance is off. I think that can usually be resolved by adjusting fore aft position of the saddle.

sparklywheels

by sparklywheels

RyanH wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:29 pm
You can check if you're putting too much pressure on your hands by getting into the drops and while riding, move both hands to behind your back. If that is a problem, then your balance is off. I think that can usually be resolved by adjusting fore aft position of the saddle.
There’s no way one can ride with absolutely no weight on the hands, as it would be impossible to steer. The position of the saddle can’t be any further back because when I pedal I would slide forwards (saddle is level).

RyanH

by RyanH

Uh, I wasn't suggesting that... But it sounds like your position is off if you're sliding forward. You should read this by Steve Hoggs which is where the balance check thing I mentioned above came from:

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... oad-bikes/

Fwiw, my fit is very aggressive but since my balance is right I don't experience aches and pains.

sparklywheels

by sparklywheels

RyanH wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:20 pm
Uh, I wasn't suggesting that... But it sounds like your position is off if you're sliding forward. You should read this by Steve Hoggs which is where the balance check thing I mentioned above came from:

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... oad-bikes/

Fwiw, my fit is very aggressive but since my balance is right I don't experience aches and pains.
I don’t slide forwards, that’s because my setback is set properly. I made countless 1mm adjustments to the height and setback so I am 100% sure it is right on. I’ve read that article and rode with massive setback to maintain his theory of balance and ended up with all kinds of lower limb pain. It doesn’t seem to work for me. Can we get back on topic re. bar width... anyone who has experienced something similar?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

You will make it through trail and error. It takes time and cost, but you will work it out.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.