Where is Shimano Dura-Ace Manufactured?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Was curious where their top end group is made given it is pretty expensive. I’m guessing Japan, with Ultegra and below made all over Asia.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I think it depends on the component. I believe hubs, cranks, chainrings, cassettes are made in Malaysia?
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Dura Ace, Ultegra, XTR and XT made in Japan and some 105 parts like hydraulic disc brakes also. Other stuff mostly made in Malaysia.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

TurboKoo wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:41 pm
Dura Ace, Ultegra, XTR and XT made in Japan . .
Ok. Makes sense now. Was looking up Dura Ace shifters at Merlin for a buddy and saw they are a little more expensive than my Campy Record ones. Though “oh, made in Japan.”

maxxevv

by maxxevv

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:25 pm
I think it depends on the component. I believe hubs, cranks, chainrings, cassettes are made in Malaysia?
Only the wheelset assembly for DA is done there.

TonyM

by TonyM

MyM3Coupe wrote:
TurboKoo wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:41 pm
Dura Ace, Ultegra, XTR and XT made in Japan . .
Ok. Makes sense now. Was looking up Dura Ace shifters at Merlin for a buddy and saw they are a little more expensive than my Campy Record ones. Though “oh, made in Japan.”
DA is „equivalent“ to Super Record (and not Record).

Pricing is not only related to the production country or production cost but it is a marketing tool.

kgt

by kgt

DA was always equivalent to Record, since the 1970s

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Only when you consider Campag withdrew Super Record for some 20+ years in 1987 and only reintroduced it only in 2008.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

DA RD, FD and brake-shifter levers are put together in the SARA line in Osaka. The line was commissioned by Matsushita (Panasonic) in 1991. Most of the alloy parts are made in the close by forging shop.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Apparently you have not been at the factories when you say like that.
I’ve been to two different factories in Osaka, Shimonoseki the birthplace of XT and the factory next to HQ where Dura Ace, XTR and Di2 are made.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I work for a a Shimano supplier, that’s why I’ve been at some of the factories.

SARA is the line used for XTR and DA, it started to work in September 1991.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

TonyM wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:35 am
Pricing is not only related to the production country or production cost but it is a marketing tool.
My other hobby away from bicycles is guitars (classical guitars). I was talking to one custom builder of guitars who said that when he started out, he priced his guitars too cheaply, which made people think they weren't good. When he increased the price, he started selling more. He now charges more than $20k for an instrument, and has a several year waiting list of purchasers.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

NickJHP wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:21 am
TonyM wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:35 am
My other hobby away from bicycles is guitars (classical guitars). I was talking to one custom builder of guitars who said that when he started out, he priced his guitars too cheaply, which made people think they weren't good. When he increased the price, he started selling more. He now charges more than $20k for an instrument, and has a several year waiting list of purchasers.
That's very often the case with the luxury good market. What's the point of buying something high end and special if it's cheap enough for everybody to afford? People want some measure of exlusivity and a higher price than might otherwise seem warranted provides that.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Selling too “cheap” helped killing SunTour, fo instance.

Shimano and Campagnolo were better at asking for a premium that they could spend in R&D (among other things, I guess turning a better profit and creating themselves a brand was also benefitting).

The 80’s were crazy in terms of tech development in chain bicycle drivetrains, we started the decade with 2x6 friction speeds and by September 1989 we had 2x8 indexed and timed (HG) gears with integrated controls on the handlebar.

SunTour started the decade better positioned than anyone with their slant parallelogram RDs and having already tinkered with indexed systems (Mighty Click, 1968). But when SIS took the high end market by storm they were simply not making enough money to react as quickly as it was needed.

Shimano understood this and killed them by suing them at everything for patent infringement. There was no basis for any of their legal actions but SunTour had to borrow money to afford the lawyers and attorneys. By late 1989 they were bankrupt and taken over by Mori.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

maxxevv wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:39 pm
Only when you consider Campag withdrew Super Record for some 20+ years in 1987 and only reintroduced it only in 2008.
11sp SR/R/C were all basically the same group and shared a lot of sub-assemblies in common. Just about the only thing that really set them apart from each other was Chorus had a stiffer FD cage (which was rebranded for a special edition of SR) and the weights and logos differed, sort of like that time Shimano made a carbon crank. Once you started looking only at weights, once you got rid of the all steel cassette, even Chorus was looking pretty close to DA in terms of weight.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.