Gravel/Adventure bike pricing

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

So am throwing around the idea of either buying a complete or building a gravel/adventure bike. Currently only own a roadie that maxes out with “small” 28c tyres do not quite enough to have some proper fun.

However, I’m starting to think it may be for me, a replacement rather than an additional bike just due to pricing. Looking at something nice, a Mason Bokeh or preferably a Fairlight Secan but starting to think the $3,500+ Aussie price tag is taking the piss for a non custom alloy or steel frame with alloy wheels and a 1x mid range group set. Even local brands such as Curve, are selling Taiwanese steel bikes for similar prices so it’s not even the added import charges that make much difference.

I guess my question is, basically, has the world gone mad?! Has the novelty of the gravel bike reached heights that companies are now able to charge this, and consumers are happy to spend the money? Or am I just a tightwad?.... Let’s not even get started on Ti frame prices......

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Yes world gone mad
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Yes. Gravel is so fancy these days that pricing has gone mad.

MikeD

by MikeD

Why not look at buying a touring bike instead of a gravel bike? There's room for wide tires, cheaper, lower gears, more versatile.

DJT21

by DJT21

Yes, the target market is a typical middle class, middle aged man, hence the use of quality steels and Titanium, the high pricing and that certain style of marketing/branding that's used.

Hex

by Hex

Sammutd88 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:55 am
So am throwing around the idea of either buying a complete or building a gravel/adventure bike. Currently only own a roadie that maxes out with “small” 28c tyres do not quite enough to have some proper fun.

However, I’m starting to think it may be for me, a replacement rather than an additional bike just due to pricing. Looking at something nice, a Mason Bokeh or preferably a Fairlight Secan but starting to think the $3,500+ Aussie price tag is taking the piss for a non custom alloy or steel frame with alloy wheels and a 1x mid range group set. Even local brands such as Curve, are selling Taiwanese steel bikes for similar prices so it’s not even the added import charges that make much difference.

I guess my question is, basically, has the world gone mad?! Has the novelty of the gravel bike reached heights that companies are now able to charge this, and consumers are happy to spend the money? Or am I just a tightwad?.... Let’s not even get started on Ti frame prices......
Im exactly on the same boat as you.

Seeing some 1200eur Sora/Tiagra completes that dont make dense on any of the kit they ship with (mech disc brakes, cro-mo frames, weight, non-tubeless ready wheels, etc)

At least the wheels, though heavy, could be tubeless ready....

Thinking of just going straight second hand XC MTB because there is a lot more offer and better value components there.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

If you're not averse to the idea of Chinese carbon and building yourself, $3500 on a gravel bike could go a long way. Once the gravel bike hype drops off a bit, I can only assume prices will come down with it. Seems like prices for SRAM's 1x disc groupsets are still quite high - if Shimano came to the party a little more on 1x compatibility that would probably have a downward effect on prices.

AJS914

by AJS914

Hydro shift/brake levers pump up the price of these groups. I'd prefer 2X on my gravel bike and I was shocked to find out that it would cost me a small fortune to switch from 1X to 2X.

Price sensitive buyers should look for something used. I picked up a like new, custom built S-Works Crux ($9,000 build) and then converted it to gravel. After selling the Zipp 303 tubulars it came with and buying some clinchers, a larger cassette, and a different chainring, I was all in for $3300.

jemima

by jemima

Yeah, prices are up there.

If I wanted to spend that $3500 then I'd think you could build up a good bike starting with a frame. Maybe include some used parts.

A grand of that and you'd could get a lightweight (around 1200gm) set of suitable wheels built up using china rims sourced from someone like CarbonFan.
Curve Grovel ti.

MattMay

by MattMay

There are several open mold gravel frames from the Chinese carbon factories, most of them in the 500-650 US range. Some of them are so close in geo to the original it’s hard to believe it’s legal. There’s a $600 knockoff of the 3T Exploro for example, and every measurement and angle is absolutely identical. Pair that with a $1000 wheelset and you’re well on your way to a reasonably priced fun machine.

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

MattMay wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:00 am
There are several open mold gravel frames from the Chinese carbon factories, most of them in the 500-650 US range. Some of them are so close in geo to the original it’s hard to believe it’s legal. There’s a $600 knockoff of the 3T Exploro for example, and every measurement and angle is absolutely identical. Pair that with a $1000 wheelset and you’re well on your way to a reasonably priced fun machine.
I do like the 3T, what’s this knock off? Quite happy to grab a frame and build later.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Workswell WCB-R-125 looks a lot like it

Hex

by Hex

MattMay wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:00 am
I like the idea of building up a frame (currently looking for one) and cannibalising most of my current set up.

Issue with Chinese carbon anything is that for those of us inside the EU have to pay a 100% value on vat and duties. So, maybe 600usd for the frame incl. postage but it ende up more like 1200usd in total.

motorapido

by motorapido

The closest copy of a 3T exploro is the Tiedace FM-CX039 TA, The geo is identical to the mm and it also uses the same top tube entry for the cables, not a problem if you are running hydros and Di2 or Etap but it would be a bit of a tortuous route for cables on the small frameset.
Still pulling the bits together for mine and the only issue ive had so far is finding bolt through thru axles that are correct, The fork is designed around the QR thru axle that its shipped with, which is heavy and an odd fitment. having to get creative and machine new ends to suit a bolt on axle. Will post a build once i've got the rest of the parts.

Most suppliers ship with iffy disclosures on the value for shipping with out asking, i paid import vat on mine and including the UK Parcelforce handling charge i paid £36 duty, over half of which was the Parcelforce handling charge.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Yeah I buy lots of stuff from outside the EU and I’ve never had to pay 100% of the value on anything. The saleswoman for the Chinese frame I just ordered asked me if 130USD was ok as the value to put on the box. Most things I buy have the real value and I’ve only ever paid 20% vat plus £8 handling

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com