Road disc; centerlock or six bolt?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sfo423

by sfo423

What is the verdict on choice for road?

I am looking at a new build, likely eTap. It appears the Centerline only comes in 6 bolt? The X-Rotor looks to be available in both.

There are aftermarket options too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

the hubs determine the rotor.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

bm0p700f wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:46 am
the hubs determine the rotor.
Yep, but if you get the choice, go centrelock - makes life easier & neater

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you travel with your bike, choose centerlock hubs/rotors so you can remove the rotors easily. Otherwise 6-bolt has fewer clearance issues with flat-mounts, especially those on the forks.

For example my White Industries CLDs used 15/20mm lockrings (Shimano BB tool type) and those would not play nice with my Emonda SLR's fork. I had to get White Industries to send me a revised axle/endcap that would allow me to use the regular QR/12mm lockrings instead. Admittedly this is an oversight on White Ind's part, but it's a thing that happened.

silvalis

by silvalis

centreline X comes in centre lock
Chasse patate

sfo423

by sfo423

I’d be looking at flatmount.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:08 am
If you travel with your bike, choose centerlock hubs/rotors so you can remove the rotors easily.
Except that then you need to also travel with the appropriate lockring tool and a minimum 8" wrench to get sufficient torque when installing the rotor. For the six bolt rotor all you need is the Torx or allen key.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

If you are going to have multiple wheelsets then I think 6-bolt is maybe a bit better since you can easily space the rotors so you don't have to adjust the caliper position when switching between wheelsets. I have both King R45 and DT 240S hubs in centerlock and the rear hubs play nice in terms of spacing but on the front I have to adjust the caliper position when I swap wheels. Not the end of the world, but with 6-bolt it could be seamless.

TheRich

by TheRich

Bigger Gear wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:56 am
If you are going to have multiple wheelsets then I think 6-bolt is maybe a bit better since you can easily space the rotors so you don't have to adjust the caliper position when switching between wheelsets. I have both King R45 and DT 240S hubs in centerlock and the rear hubs play nice in terms of spacing but on the front I have to adjust the caliper position when I swap wheels. Not the end of the world, but with 6-bolt it could be seamless.
There are centerlock shims.

https://www.boydcycling.com/shop/access ... im-4-pack/

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Bigger Gear wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:56 am
I have 4 sets of wheels... all centerlock with different hubs .. so far I'm lucky.

Enve 4.5AR - industry9 hubs
HED Ardennes - HED hubs
Enve 5.6 - DT240 hubs
Roval CLX50- Roval hubs
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

NickJHP wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:14 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
If you travel with your bike, choose centerlock hubs/rotors so you can remove the rotors easily.
Except that then you need to also travel with the appropriate lockring tool and a minimum 8" wrench to get sufficient torque when installing the rotor. For the six bolt rotor all you need is the Torx or allen key.

There are really no side forces to worry about, so you don't have to go to the insanely conservative 40n-m recommended torque. The lockring is not going to back out.

https://www.abbeybiketools.com/products ... =242364892

I'd much rather pack this tool than waste time with 12 bolts. For a non-travel bike, I don't care...both interfaces have pros and cons.

sfo423

by sfo423

This is not a situation where I will be swapping wheels: one set and done.

Which set up stays centered in the caliper better (therefore quieter)?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sfo423 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:02 am
This is not a situation where I will be swapping wheels: one set and done.

Which set up stays centered in the caliper better (therefore quieter)?

Once mounted, neither is better than the other unless your bolts are backing out.

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

Centerlock. Much easier for me. 5 less things to torque to spec.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Otherwise 6-bolt has fewer clearance issues with flat-mounts, especially those on the forks...
Funny you say that, because I had the exact opposite problem on my Concept Disc, the bolts on the rotor would hit the inside of the fork where the flat mount disc caliper is mounted when sprinting, so had to rebuild the wheel with a centerlock hub to get better clearance. So now I run both...6 bolt on the rear, centerlock on the front, mainly because I was too cheap to swap out both hubs :)