Campagnolo brake shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markyboy

by markyboy

Campagnolo brakes shoes with the spring,changing out a set of pads imo is a pain in the arse.
Shimano unscrew slide out slide in so simple,why do campag complicate things?
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

skidrrr

by skidrrr

Also the way shima align brake caliper tention is more elegant to me
So ame question here. Why campy design is so complicated?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

The ones with the retaining springs are the easiest, esp in the winter when you're wearing blocks down fairly quickly.
Stick a jewellers screwdriver behind the tang, and lever out a little, then slide the insert out.
Simples.

The older push fit were worst, closely followed with the crappy chocolate headed screw idea that shimano use.
Official cafe stop tester

corky

by corky

Best are EE cycle works no springs no screws just a tab and they take more prevalent Shimano pads........there should be no other design.

markyboy

by markyboy

jekyll man wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:14 pm
The ones with the retaining springs are the easiest, esp in the winter when you're wearing blocks down fairly quickly.
Stick a jewellers screwdriver behind the tang, and lever out a little, then slide the insert out.
Simples.

The older push fit were worst, closely followed with the crappy chocolate headed screw idea that shimano use.
Those retaining springs are quite stiff and i find with a little screwdriver you mark the shoes when lifting it up.
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

jrobart

by jrobart

Unfortaunteky I broke the spring on the front right block about two months ago. Got the pad in, but it doesn't sit perfectly and now shutters when breaking! Fortunately, it happened just as I was changing to my winter/commuter/gravel bike so I've been able to ignore the issue for now. And of course, finding a campy SR skeleton block ain't cheap!
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

jekyll man

by jekyll man

jrobart wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:39 pm
Unfortaunteky I broke the spring on the front right block about two months ago. Got the pad in, but it doesn't sit perfectly and now shutters when breaking! Fortunately, it happened just as I was changing to my winter/commuter/gravel bike so I've been able to ignore the issue for now. And of course, finding a campy SR skeleton block ain't cheap!
You can buy the springs separately, i got a pack from Graeme F-K on here, they weren't expensive.
FWIW i had 2 break on brand new unused brakes, and ran them for 12 months before i thought about replacing them; perhaps there was enough indent in them to stop pad movement.
Official cafe stop tester

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha... those things are such an annoyance. I actually removed them during my C60 build but later added them back. Since even though I could never imagine myself installing them backwards, it was remarkable easy for them to slide out if you just happened to be straddling your bike rocking back and forth talking to someone while holding the brakes or something fidgety like that. As pointed out by @SuperDomestique in that thread, a much better way to remove them is to just get a teensy screwdriver or something underneath the rear to pry them up a bit so that you can get a good grip on them with some needle nose pliers then just peel them away from the brake shoe without ever touching that spring. I was quite proud of myself for my intital idea to remove the springs completely, then realized how dumb I was after been shown a much easier way.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TonyM

by TonyM

This is the (Jagwire) tool that I use since I have these Campagnolo brakes...
So easy with it :thumbup: :thumbup:

https://jagwire.com/products/tools/pad-press-plus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va4W_HmhxNA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

TonyM wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:43 am
This is the (Jagwire) tool that I use since I have these Campagnolo brakes...
So easy with it :thumbup: :thumbup:

https://jagwire.com/products/tools/pad-press-plus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va4W_HmhxNA
Thats a handy little tool,but for me shimano pads slide in and out so easy i leave them attached to the bike.
What im saying with campag is that little spring is a pain to lift without marking your shoes,and also the pads are stiff to get out.
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2