21 hole rear wheel design - input appreciated.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

This wheelset isn't for racing just to explore some limits for a cheap light wheelset for a relatively light rider. I also want to test the new "fake" enve braketracks. If they are good I'll maybe build be a new more expensive 24h 50mm racing wheelset.

I've wondered why wheelsets default to 20/24. Probably for a good reason. But now I get to see myself. I'm going 16/21 on this one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

There are no good 21 spoke hubs and that's why it takes a big wheel manufacturer to make them.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:15 pm
There are no good 21 spoke hubs and that's why it takes a big wheel manufacturer to make them.
Hey bm0, I noticed the pcd of J-bend hubs is on average a bit larger than sp hubs of similar size and weight. (possible exception is extralite sp-t)

Doesn't that mean that J-bend hubs are in that regard a bit easier to get a good end result?

I've heard that J-bend can break easier than sp (at the head), but I haven't yet had that happen to me. Have you?

I also like the ability to choose the lacing pattern myself. Looks to me like sp triplet hubs (chinese) are all 2x ds.