High performance tubeless with tan side walls?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

parajba

by parajba

Yes and I want to switch to tubeless also for the increased safety as they don’t roll off when you flat.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

One some tubeless rim tubeless tyres do roll off when you flat. A pet hate of mine are rims that are described as tubeless compatible but are not because they can't retain the tyre with no air.

parajba

by parajba

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:01 pm
One some tubeless rim tubeless tyres do roll off when you flat. A pet hate of mine are rims that are described as tubeless compatible but are not because they can't retain the tyre with no air.
Interesting. Didn’t know. Do you know if the Roval CLX retain the tyre when flat?

NickJHP

by NickJHP

To minimise the chance of the tyre rolling off the rim when it flats, the rim should have a raised lip each side of the central well, to prevent the bead on the deflated tyre from moving to the central well. I have one pair of MCFK tubeless rims that have such a lip, and one pair of tubeless Light Bicycle rims that don't. Here is the cross section of the MCFK rim showing this raised lip:

jlok

by jlok

parajba wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:53 pm
bm0p700f wrote:
Interesting. Didn’t know. Do you know if the Roval CLX retain the tyre when flat?
Not on my case. The rim bed doesn't have the little lip to retain the beads and they will fall to the center canal when deflated. The CLX is so close to perfect...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

parajba

by parajba

jlok wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:31 am
parajba wrote:
bm0p700f wrote:
Not on my case. The rim bed doesn't have the little lip to retain the beads and they will fall to the center canal when deflated. The CLX is so close to perfect...
Sorry does that mean that with the CLX the flat tubeless will roll off like a clincher? One of the main benefits of going tubeless is to avoid the risk of high speed punctures with the potential tyre rolling off. I understand that the risk of flats is lower as I will put some sealant inside, but it wold be good to understand the tyre behaviour on the CLX in case of a high speed flat...

arthurf

by arthurf

parajba wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:41 pm
arthurf wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:44 pm
Corsa G+ will be available in a tubeless version in the new year in both tan wall and grey wall
Really?!? Awesome. How reliable is your source? The Corsa G+ (clincher) is my current favourite tyre, if they made a tubeless version (and if they made it with tan side walls as optional) it would be fantastic.

Do you have an ETA?
Very reliable source, I’ve seen the draft website pages for them and the text/specs for the dealer brochures. They should be on sale January/February time. I’ll be getting an order in for the Corsa Controls TLR :D

jlok

by jlok

parajba wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:41 am
jlok wrote:
parajba wrote:
bm0p700f wrote:
Sorry does that mean that with the CLX the flat tubeless will roll off like a clincher? One of the main benefits of going tubeless is to avoid the risk of high speed punctures with the potential tyre rolling off. I understand that the risk of flats is lower as I will put some sealant inside, but it wold be good to understand the tyre behaviour on the CLX in case of a high speed flat...
Yes. I have tested Pro One 25c, Padrone TR 28c, Corsa Speed 25c and the Fusion 5 Performance Tubeless 25c (old one, not the new TLR). They all won't stay put due to the design of the rim.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

jlok

by jlok

bike24 has the Corsa TLR G+ / Corsa Control TLR listed but with black only so far.

Corsa TLR G+ 25c 111.3CX.TL.25.111BX 290g
Corsa TLR G+ 28c 111.3CX.TL.28.111BX 305g
Corsa Control TLR 25c 111.3CC.TL.25.111BX 305g
Corsa Control TLR 28c 111.3CC.TL.28.111BX 315g
Corsa Control TLR 30c 111.3CC.TL.30.111BX 320g

2019 catalog
https://www.vittoria.com/us/pub/media/g ... _res_1.pdf

p.s. Rubino Pro TLR is lighter than Corsa TLR G+!!

Rubino Pro 25c 111.3RB.TL.25.111BX 270g
Rubino Pro 28c 111.3RB.TL.28.111BX 285g
Rubino Pro 30c 111.3RB.TL.30.111BX 305g
Description of Vittoria Corsa Control TLR Folding Tire 28-622 - black
You asked and Vittoria delivered! The Corsa Control tackles greasy cobbles and rough roads with all the confidence of the classic Corsa. Sharing the 320 TPI Corespun-K casing, and technical 4C Graphene compound technology, the Corsa Control adds a textured shoulder tread to the mix. This chevron tread pattern adds dynamic performance to the Corsa Control tread, allowing for increased grip on slippery surfaces, as well as added durability.

tubeless ready with the lightweight and supple 320 TPI TLR casing
Corsa Control level confidence for rough roads.
4 separate Graphene compounds deliver speed, suppleness, durability, and reliability.

Vittoria TLR
The future of the folding tires at Vittoria. TLR means "Tubeless Ready" without additional sidewall reinforcement for supple and smooth rolling characteristics.

zefs

by zefs

320tpi and tubeless, going to be good!

parajba

by parajba

jlok wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:46 am
parajba wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:41 am
jlok wrote:
parajba wrote:

Yes. I have tested Pro One 25c, Padrone TR 28c, Corsa Speed 25c and the Fusion 5 Performance Tubeless 25c (old one, not the new TLR). They all won't stay put due to the design of the rim.
Thanks and sorry for the late reply.
Pity. I was hoping the opposite as I quite like the CLX50.

Do you know which brands/models from the usual big names come with the ‘lip’? Enve? Zipp?

One possible benefit...I assume it’s easy to install tubeless tyres on the CLX50 because of the absence of this ‘lip’?

Jugi

by Jugi

parajba wrote: One possible benefit...I assume it’s easy to install tubeless tyres on the CLX50 because of the absence of this ‘lip’?
It may or may not be easier, as it depends on how the tire's bead rests against the "lip" or the "edge of the shelf" when not inflated. My experience from tubeless tires and tubeless rims (mainly from MTB applications) has been variable. Some combinations of rim and tire just seem easier to install than others, sometimes it seems like a particular tire is just easier than the next one.

Light Bicycle's RR56C02 has a pronounced "lip" and I've found road and CX tire installation relatively easy. Uninstalling seems to get harder when tire width decreases. A 33mm Schwalbe X-One is easy, a 28mm Pro One is relatively easy and a 25mm Pro One is hard because there is markedly less tire on the rim, and therefore it's harder to pry the tire's bead over the "lip" into the center channel.

In my opinion a rim should not be designated as "tubeless compatible" if it doesn't have that "lip". It's a pretty important design feature.