11sp cassette, 11-28, no Shimano, no Sram ... sub 200g?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Get a 12-27t then and switch to campagnolo.

You can't have wide ratio and small gaps the the end. If you feel like you loose rythem when changing into top then you need to train your legs to operate effectively over a bigger range of cadance. Either that or go triple.

I turn away customers all the time want a miche custom cassette wide range with close gaps at the end.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StanK

by StanK

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:21 pm
Get a 12-27t then and switch to campagnolo.
You know, it crossed my mind. For a little while :mrgreen:
bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:21 pm
You can't have wide ratio and small gaps the the end. If you feel like you loose rythem when changing into top then you need to train your legs to operate effectively over a bigger range of cadance...
Really, it's not such a big deal, 25 to 28. I can live with it. But 19-22-25-28 would be bigger issue, I know without trying. On flat, no problem, I don't use below 20t, but half of my rides (and most longest and hardest) are on up-and-down course, so ... 11-28 (27) only.

StanK

by StanK

wrcompositi wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:16 am
You can buy Seq-Lite (another Taiwanese maker of lightweight CNC cassettes) from bdopcycling.com.
Full steel, 11-28T same ratio as Shimano, 185g, US$99.99
https://www.bdopcycling.com/BDop%20CASSETTES.asp
On that "Bdopcacling" web site there is no mentioning of Seq-Lite. They sell "Bdop cassette". Bdopcycling at least has web site, I can't find any Seq-Lite web site.
Is "Bdopcycling" maybe producing Seq-lite cassettes? Is this the same thing? Has anyone recently used their cassettes?
So many questions ... :D

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You will get used to bigger jumps. Your a worrier. Worry less.

StanK

by StanK

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:23 pm
You will get used to bigger jumps. Your a worrier. Worry less.
You not helping :)
I'm not worried at all because I know exactly what I want. And what I don't want.

Ok, I will bite the bullet and buy that cassette. A man should risk it here and there :mrgreen: Although, this does not have to be a risk at all. We'll see.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

StanK wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:08 pm
wrcompositi wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:16 am
You can buy Seq-Lite (another Taiwanese maker of lightweight CNC cassettes) from bdopcycling.com.
Full steel, 11-28T same ratio as Shimano, 185g, US$99.99
https://www.bdopcycling.com/BDop%20CASSETTES.asp
On that "Bdopcacling" web site there is no mentioning of Seq-Lite. They sell "Bdop cassette". Bdopcycling at least has web site, I can't find any Seq-Lite web site.
Is "Bdopcycling" maybe producing Seq-lite cassettes? Is this the same thing? Has anyone recently used their cassettes?
So many questions ... :D
I currently have both of Bdop’s cassettes, steel and alloy. I have not done a lot of K’s on them so can’t advise on durability but shifting is crisp, for me anyway on par with DA. I run DA9150 and always had trouble with SRAM Red cassettes and getting it shifting right. I don’t like the DA cassettes chewing up the free hub....... so far so good. Would I buy again.? At this point in time, you betcha

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Exactly give it a go. Buy setting redlines about what you like and what you don't you then can't try anything different. The worst that can happen is you don't like it. However give it a chance, you will adapt if you want to.

I use a 11-12-13-15-17-19-21-23-26-29-32 with a single ring and get on fine. Those 3t jumps are nothing Ng compared to my eagle cassette. I use the MTB on the road too. Were both human right.

StanK

by StanK

bm0p700f ...
I can adapt to anything, no problem, but that's not the point. As I said, long ago, 5 speed cassette, down shifters, single ring too ... no problem. But, I surely won't use them anymore. Simply because that is worse solution than what we have now as standard equipment.

beanbiken ...
Sound more than good, thanks :thumbup: Just needed something like that 8)

Btw. I just ordered 11-28t, 11s, steel version Shimano. I hope in about one month time I would do first ride. Unless roads would be covered by snow :)

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Thanks to this thread that bring Bdop cassette into my attention.
I'm ordering 11-28 steel cassette too.
It is a bit weird though that steel cassette have the same weight limit as their much lighter alloy cassette. Luckily i'm weighting just a bit over 2/3 of the weight limit.

StanK

by StanK

Yes, bit strange that same limit is for both version. But I'm 77kg, so shouldn't be a problem in that regards.

Btw. today arrived. Super-fast delivery - from the moment I placed order till my door (Taiwan to Croatia) only 5 days. I have never got something from Far East so quickly. And postage is $15. Almost usual amount from all EU stores. Kudos to BDop cycling. Now I just hope that cassette would meet my expectations :)

Advertised weight is practicall confirmed. 1g more or less is nothing.
And for those who even consider lock ring change ... It's pretty light too.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The concept of having a weight limit on a cassette baffles me. It’s the power and force being applied to it that is the main concern. And you can have a strong light guy pushing the pedals harder than a weak heavy guy. I guess they’re just making an assumption that the bigger guys will be exerting more power. I feel strong today all of a sudden.
Last edited by Calnago on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

StanK

by StanK

I agree. I would buy it if I had 100 kg, never mind. In some way it is experiment. At least is a half the price of Edco, not to mention Rotor.
If prove not be worse (shifting in the first place) than Ultegra and holds up to 10k I would be ok with that.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Got mine 2 days ago. DHL shipping to USA is just 2-3 days.
Lock ring is still a bit heavier than Sram Red one. That black ring weight 5.9g while Sram Red lock ring weight 5.3g. Not that 0.6g means anything anyway.

On my bike it shift better than Sram red cassette, and on par with Ultegra cassette. Durability is to be seen...
Pretty sure other members can report on durability way earlier than me because my Bdop cassette go on a wheel that only get used on weekend ( 1-2 days a week) for total distance of 90-200km per week. It'll be a long long time until it worn down.

Question to multi cassette users: how do you manage chain replacement and cassette replacement cycle?
I used to use one cassette per two or three chains as exclusive pair. Now that i have wheel-off bike trainer so it become one chain on two cassette, trainer cassette get a lot more miles than outdoor on wheel cassette. What would replacement cycle be like?

Marin

by Marin

Replace chain when it's worn, never replace cassette ;)

Ok, replace the cassette when a new chain skips. Takes forever if you replace the chains early enough.