2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL Disc 7.35kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

refthimos

by refthimos

Still waiting for my SystemSix, and deciding I needed a climbing/backup disc bike for the stable, I picked up a 2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL Disc frameset. I would have favored a SuperSix EVO (the rim-brake EVO has been my main bike for several years now and I love it), but I just couldn't accept the quick-release rather than thru-axle rear end. So TCR it was.

Build and photos below. I would have liked to have saved some weight with the crank/PM, but with the very wide [86mm? 92mm?] BB shell on the TCR, this really limited crank choice. S-Works Power Cranks had no chance (they have a very narrow spindle, though I was able to confirm that they will fit on the SystemSix, which will help shave a few grams from that bike when it arrives) and couldn't get SISL2 cranks to work either, even with wider spindles. There aren't a lot of areas to WW a disc bike - but I did look to save some weight in a few areas, most notably with the Extralite Black Lock thru-axles and Berk Dila saddle. I haven't yet switched the expander plug to the Giant Aircap, but will do that soon for a few more grams gone. But I'm happy where bike is now at 7.35kg (16.2 pounds) with pedals, bottle cages and computer mount.

Last edited by refthimos on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Hell of a backup! Really nice build choices.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

Very nice!

How do like those wheels? I was thinking the 4.5ARs would be too big for that frame, but it appears not. What is the clearance like?
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

Holy hell, that colour way looks way better in these pics than on Giant's website. I second the wheel question - I've been tryng to decide on the sweet spot for wheel depth on the TCR and this may just be it.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

zmjones

by zmjones

amngwlvs wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:55 pm
Holy hell, that colour way looks way better in these pics than on Giant's website. I second the wheel question - I've been tryng to decide on the sweet spot for wheel depth on the TCR and this may just be it.
i've seen it on at least one other tcr. clearance is tight but not really that bad. my question is whether it rubs when sprinting.

kucyk

by kucyk

Hi there,
Great build with this bike. I have a question how did you wire the hoods with junction A. Zipp contour sl isn't di2 friendly or it is?
Thanks in advance

Wysłane z mojego Redmi 4X przy użyciu Tapatalka

refthimos

by refthimos

LiquidCooled wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:33 am
How do like those wheels? I was thinking the 4.5ARs would be too big for that frame, but it appears not. What is the clearance like?
The wheels are amazing. I think it may well be difficult to go back to "normal" wheels after these. I am running 55psi tubeless and the Pro Ones soak up all kinds of bumps and cracks and really stick in the turns.

I wasn't able to get a good photo to show tire clearance, but with the 28c Pro Ones measuring out at slightly more than 32mm wide, there is about 3mm of lateral clearance on each side to the chainstays and about 8mm of vertical clearance to the seat tube. This is about as big as you can go on this frame IMHO.

zmjones wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:46 pm
i've seen it on at least one other tcr. clearance is tight but not really that bad. my question is whether it rubs when sprinting.
That's a good question. I haven't really done a proper sprint on the bike yet. I think it's only been up to about 800-900W. I do find that when torquing the bars out of the saddle, the front disc will ping a bit - this seems to me to be the case with just about all disc brake bikes at the moment.

I'll report back when I put in a decent sprint, though as a semi-retired never-was amateur racer who rarely sprints anymore, I'm probably down to 1200-1300W for 5sec. So my experience might not be helpful to you.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

refthimos wrote:...
I'll report back when I put in a decent sprint, though as a semi-retired never-was amateur racer who rarely sprints anymore, I'm probably down to 1200-1300W for 5sec. So my experience might not be helpful to you.
Probably “down to” 1200-1300w for 5sec? That’s a more than respectable real world effort, no? What would that be down from if you mind me asking?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

Thanks for the info. I think I'll be getting a pair of ARs over the winter. I'll run them with Schwalbe Pro Ones. Question is will I run them tubeless or not. I'm really not interested in dealing with sealant.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

refthimos

by refthimos

Calnago wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:42 pm
Probably “down to” 1200-1300w for 5sec? That’s a more than respectable real world effort, no? What would that be down from if you mind me asking?
Well it's all relative of course. 2-3 years ago, I would be at about 1400W for 5sec. I could win some Cat 3 races but here in Southern California the big boys can do a lot more than that.

I wasn't intending a backdoor brag - just wanted to be clear that when I report no rubbing (that I've noticed), that's to date only based on 800-900W and that even if I still find no rubbing at 1200W, that might not be the case for rider with a stronger sprint.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

refthimos

by refthimos

LiquidCooled wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:10 pm
Thanks for the info. I think I'll be getting a pair of ARs over the winter. I'll run them with Schwalbe Pro Ones. Question is will I run them tubeless or not. I'm really not interested in dealing with sealant.
I thought similarly when beginning with tubeless. But I'm definitely a convert. Adding sealant at installation is super easy - Leave a bit of the tire unmounted and slide this in the space remaining between the tire and rim:

Then just complete mounting the tire, pump it up, and you have great puncture sealing.

I have about 30,000 miles on road tubeless (99.9% of that on Pro Ones) and I have had 3-4 flats that did not seal. Corsa Speeds are a different matter - they are very fragile IME.

There is a slight mess when changing a tire that has sealant in it, but I just put a towel down in the garage, take the tire off, then wipe off the inside of the rim to remove the dried sealant. The cleaning process takes me less than a minute.

While I've had 3-4 flats on the Pro Ones, I've probably had at least 15-20 instances where I've flatted but the tire sealed. In almost all cases, I didn't even realize I had flatted until I got home and saw the sealant spray on the back of the seat tube. And that is pretty easy to wipe away and clean. So for me, I am all-in on tubeless.

And the 4.5AR disc / Pro One tubeless combo is sublime!
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

No, I wasn’t implying it was a back door brag, just an impressive output. And certainly some guys transfer that power through the bike a lot more smoothly than others. Nice work.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MoPho

by MoPho

refthimos wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:17 pm

Well it's all relative of course. 2-3 years ago, I would be at about 1400W for 5sec. I could win some Cat 3 races but here in Southern California the big boys can do a lot more than that.

I wasn't intending a backdoor brag - just wanted to be clear that when I report no rubbing (that I've noticed), that's to date only based on 800-900W and that even if I still find no rubbing at 1200W, that might not be the case for rider with a stronger sprint.
You're not eating enough Wontons... :wink:

refthimos

by refthimos

MoPho wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:35 pm
You're not eating enough Wontons... :wink:
Ain't that the truth! Those days are (too) long gone:

EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zmjones

by zmjones

refthimos wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:17 pm
Calnago wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:42 pm

1450 peak with around 1300 for 5 seconds is my pb so if if you can do that and it doesn't rub i would super appreciate knowing! think the other option i'm considering is the aeroad. it apparently also clears has clearance for this wheel/tire combo.