Problem with Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
davetung

by davetung

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this topic.

I have had my Elemnt Bolt for just a little over a year and didn’t have any problems with it until now. For some reason I am unable to charge my device with the same cable and charger I have been using. I keep getting “please plug out charger” while attempting to charge the device.

Has anyone else encountered similar issue with their Wahoo unit? Any suggestions to how I could fix it? I have tried using different charger and cable as well.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by davetung on Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boots2000

by boots2000

Hopefully you did not use an Iphone charger or similar. They are too strong or something.
Wahoo told me that those things mess up their units. I only do USB recharge on my laptop.

by Weenie

HenHarrier

by HenHarrier

boots2000 wrote:Hopefully you did not use an Iphone charger or similar. They are too strong or something.
Wahoo told me that those things mess up their units. I only do USB recharge on my laptop.
Really? Wonder what wahoo means by that? I've been using the same Samsung charger I use for my phone for more than a year and my Bolt has never missed a beat.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

cro2

by cro2

Apple chargers have higher output current than some other chargers. I have both Apple and Samsung chargers and both are rated at 1 A at 5V. It is possible that some electronic part has failed due to a fatigue, but I'd say that a software issue is more likely a problem (like a non-clean shutdown). It's best if you contacted Wahoo support directly to get a definite answer.

Wysłane z mojego LG-K430 przy użyciu Tapatalka

davetung

by davetung

cro2 wrote:Apple chargers have higher output current than some other chargers. I have both Apple and Samsung chargers and both are rated at 1 A at 5V. It is possible that some electronic part has failed due to a fatigue, but I'd say that a software issue is more likely a problem (like a non-clean shutdown). It's best if you contacted Wahoo support directly to get a definite answer.

Wysłane z mojego LG-K430 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Yes I actually did have a “non-clean” shutdown during last ride when battery died. I was able to charge device initially and briefly to upload my ride to Strava but after that device became unchangeable.

I have contacted Wahoo and the service rep offered to help me get a replacement unit despite my warranty just expired.... but haven’t heard anything for almost 2 weeks despite following up. Just really frustrated and hesitant to spend another $250 on a head unit that might go bust after a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by davetung on Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

mattr

by mattr

HenHarrier wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:47 pm
boots2000 wrote:Hopefully you did not use an Iphone charger or similar. They are too strong or something.
Really? Wonder what wahoo means by that? I've been using the same Samsung charger I use for my phone for more than a year and my Bolt has never missed a beat.
Think there must have been a mistranslation or misunderstanding. The device (unless wahoo have made a HUGE mistake) will only pull the current it needs. Not what the charger will put out.

Or anyone charging from a PC would be knackered, as you have from 0,5A through to 2,0A available from USB, if they are within spec and some offer more (my last work machine would do 3A, which I regularly used for charging my phones, Garmin and wireless headphones!)

by Weenie