Assos Equipe Rs rain vs Gore C7 Shake-Dry stretch

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bruno2000

by bruno2000

What would be your pick and why?
I want a full waterproof jacket for riding hour sinthe rain (if needed) with the best breathability available.
I allready own the Assos Sturmprinz but I want something more packable.
I also have a Rapha Pro team race Cape. How would the Rpaha compare to the others?
Last edited by bruno2000 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

The ASSOS RS Rain Jacket has stretch so is closer fitting than most and doesn't flap around.

If you are riding in the rain, you will get wet. You want to slow the ingress of water enough to prevent you getting cold. The Equipe RS Rain Jacket will be comfortable and breathable and keep you mostly dry.

I cannot comment on the GORE product.

kode54

by kode54

i have the Sturmprinz and bought the RS Rain Jacket this year when the gray color way came available.

i really like the Sturmprinz, but on days when its spotty rain, its hard to pack. Its much better than the Rapha rain jackets and highly packable. fits into one of my back pockets. More breathable than the Sturmprinz and I like the large reflective stripe down the middle of the back. Sturmprinz not as reflective in that respect. Holds up almost as well as the Sturmprinz but I haven't been in drenching rain yet. A friend has the Gore ShakeDry stretch which is packable about half the size. He likes it...and fits more like a race fit. Personally, side by side, I would get the RS Rain Jacket over the ShakeDry since the quality feels much better to me.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I recently ordered both the Equipe RS and the Gore C7 Shake Dry jackets to compare. The Gore is definitely the lighter weight of the two and the medium was a better fit for me than was the medium in the Assos. The thing that really set me against the Equipe RS was the zipper. I think it might have been rubber backed for improved sealing but every time I tried on the jacket I had to fight to get the loose zipper tab inserted all the way into the zipper slider - and I mean really fight. It was a complete PITA and was the main reason why the Assos got returned and the Gore stayed with me. I wanted the Assos for the greater visibility of the orange color but if I struggled to get it on at home when my fingers are nice are warm and not soaking wet, how would it be on the road when my fingers are wet, cold and stiff? Probably not good.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

On the Equipe RS zipper - yes it is stiff for the first 4 or 5 times, but then it is no problem. You need to be wearing it to do the zipper up (and undo it) these 4 or 5 times though. on a hanger it is extremely difficult, but it isn't the case once the jacket is broken in.

peted76

by peted76

I have an older Gore Shakedry and it's pretty impressive to be fair to it. It's been a bit of a revelation in so much that it's the first jacket I rarely boil in. They've addressed the issues on the newer models that I have with mine (fit being the main one). The material is a 'little bit' stretchy and is as close as I've seen to breathable beyond a softshell. I wear mine over a standard winter jersey and base layer on all but the very coldest rides and carry it most of the year round as a waterproof packable. I can't comment on the Assos Sturmprinz.

kode54

by kode54

yes, its frustrating. i was going to return mine...but the more i wore it...it became easier each time. helps that i used white lightining on the bottom part to get the sliders to work smoothly.
RTW wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:34 am
On the Equipe RS zipper - yes it is stiff for the first 4 or 5 times, but then it is no problem. You need to be wearing it to do the zipper up (and undo it) these 4 or 5 times though. on a hanger it is extremely difficult, but it isn't the case once the jacket is broken in.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Which one would be the more breathable while still being wind and waterproof?

uraqt

by uraqt

While I know the idea of one of the new gore fabric coats sounds cool... but I think the 2 or 3 castelli gabba 2 jerseys is a bettery approach .. one less thing to carry and the gabba with good arm warmmer covers a larger temperature range..

C

guyc

by guyc

The Gore is unbeatable.

You will not get wet and the breathability is like nothing else.

uraqt

by uraqt

I have never over heated in a gabba and the gabba uses a differnt Gore material, that is more flexable...

C

guyc

by guyc

There is absolutely no contest between their Shakedry and a Gabba. One is totally waterproof and wind proof and the other is the Gabba.

Castelli don’t even market the Gabba as waterproof.

The OP asked:

I want a full waterproof jacket for riding hour sinthe rain (if needed) with the best breathability available

That is never going to be a Gabba.

crazy brit

by crazy brit

OP, if you're not averse to another brand I absolutely love my POC Raceday rain jacket - fully waterproof, lightweight, close fitting and so no flapping, packs easily into a jersey pocket, ridiculously breathable, it may tick all your boxes.

I don't know if it's still available or if there's a newer equivalent from POC...

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I've ordered both the Gore and the Assos.
I'll guess I'll end up with the one that fit's my body the best...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moyboy

by moyboy

or keep both... hahah gore for summer Assos for slightly cooler weather as it's thicker by a little bit.

I've owned both and have an Equipe RS now in Grey.... the lollipop color was a pain to clean all the time from road grime.

The Castelli Idro was nice but too lightweight for Canadian weather.