Mid-depth carbon wheels around $1,200?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

caad4rep

by caad4rep

I'm in the market for a set of carbon clinchers and looking to spend around $1k-$1,200. I'm around 79kg and live in a generally flat and windy place but spend my weekends climbing up and down steep hills.

I'd like carbon clinchers in the 30-45mm depth range.

Short list so far:
-Fulcrum quattro carbon
-Reynolds Assault or maybe attacks
-used Zipps (202's and 303's in good shape look to be in my price range)

Any others that I really should consider? Thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MaraudingWalrus

by MaraudingWalrus

I'd encourage you to find a wheel builder and see what they can do. Lots of us build with rims from places like Nextie, Speeder, or lightbicycle (various direct from China and Taiwan manufacturers).

The most recent set of 45mms I just got to build up for a customer are like $400 for the rims shipped from Nextie, and you can realistically put just about whatever you want for hubs and spokes in there and still fall well within that price range.

They'll all have a ton of different finish and spoke hole options. Image

wintershade

by wintershade

You could probably pick up a set of Bora One 35s in that price range. Pro Bike Kit had the cheapest prices I could find when recently shopping for Ultra 35s. I have a discount/referral code I can PM you that would get you another $35 off whatever is listed on their site.

AJS914

by AJS914

I priced out Bora One 50s the other day and it was around $1400 with discounts. They also sell the Venn wheels for super cheap.

Performance Bike sells the Reynolds R wheels. There is frequently a 20% extra deal going (like right now for instance). They look pretty darn good to me for $800. They are a 25mm wide rim. The difference between these and the regular Reynolds line seem to be the hubs. These look like an oem Bitex hub to me which should perform without issue. They also have a shallower R3 and a deeper R6 wheelset.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/re ... ve-50-4913

Personally, I'm going to buy some Farsport wheels from China soon (on sale 11/11) for around $600 with DT 350S hubs and cx-ray spokes. One reason I don't buy the R wheels is that they don't have a Campy freehub option and I don' t want to jump through hoops to find one.

caad4rep

by caad4rep

wintershade wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:26 pm
You could probably pick up a set of Bora One 35s in that price range. Pro Bike Kit had the cheapest prices I could find when recently shopping for Ultra 35s. I have a discount/referral code I can PM you that would get you another $35 off whatever is listed on their site.
Is PBK reliable these days? It's been a while but my 2 prior experiences with them was not positive.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

prowheelbuilder

Nox Falkor 36
bitex hubs
cx-ray

@ $1300

quite a bit cheaper with Lazers

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Catagory6 wrote:prowheelbuilder

Nox Falkor 36
bitex hubs
cx-ray

@ $1300

Why bother if one can pick up Bora One 35 for $75 more? Light, ultra stiff, superior craftsmanship, fantastic serviceable hubs, best braking performance.
https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-whee ... 79741.html
Last edited by mpulsiv on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

jlok

by jlok

+1 to Bora One. Very robust and light.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Catagory6

by Catagory6

mpulsiv wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:33 am

Nox Falkor 36
bitex hubs
cx-ray

@ $1300

Why bother if one can pick up Bora One 35 for $75 more? Light, ultra stiff, superior craftsmanship, fantastic serviceable hubs, best braking performance.
cuz you can get the Nox with different colored hubs, and silver spokes?

how much is import duty to US?

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Bora One's will be better than 99% of wheels at twice as price.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Catagory6

by Catagory6

Noctiluxx wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:31 pm
Bora One's will be better than 99% of wheels at twice as price.
c'mon, don't leave us in suspense.

i got the response that zipp 202 were the worst of all worlds, because of their depth. that the mid-depth rim profile doesn't do anything well.

wow, PBK REALLY doesn't want to be contacted with any questions. seems just about impossible to send them an email, unless you've already ordered something from them.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Catagory6 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:20 pm
mpulsiv wrote:

Nox Falkor 36
bitex hubs
cx-ray

@ $1300

Your decision is based on different colored hubs and silver spokes over Campagnolo wheels? :unbelievable:
PBK ship for free worldwide. There's no import duty fees. It's $1375 delivered to your door.
What exactly do you want to ask PBK? www.probikekit.com/probikekit/customerQ ... =postQuery
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Anything over $900 (or it is $800, can't recall exactly) of goods shipped to the U.S. will get slapped with a 10% import duty if they use DHL. Sometimes a slower shipping service than DHL won't get slapped with the duty. But I have bought a set of Bora Ultra wheels from Wiggle and I got slapped by a 10% duty. Starbike uses a slower shipper and I've never paid any duties. YMMV.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

mpulsiv wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:20 am
Catagory6 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:20 pm
mpulsiv wrote:

Nox Falkor 36
bitex hubs
cx-ray

@ $1300

Your decision is based on different colored hubs and silver spokes over Campagnolo wheels? :unbelievable:
PBK ship for free worldwide. There's no import duty fees. It's $1375 delivered to your door.
What exactly do you want to ask PBK? www.probikekit.com/probikekit/customerQ ... =postQuery
haven't made a decision about anything here. don't know where you got that from. :noidea:

IchDien

by IchDien

Zipp 302?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com