Colnago C64 -- A Belated Thank You

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mag

by mag

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:42 am
... Shimano on a lugged Colnago.
Shimano? Did I miss something? I see 12s Campy Record.

robertbb

by robertbb

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:27 am
robertbb wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:24 am
I know this is a C64 thread but I wouldn't mind hearing your (or your partner's thoughts) on the construction/finish quality of the V2-R...

Did you get a chance to see inside the frame at all? What is the finish like in there... as good inside as outside, or did it look rough/messy?
I recently purchased the 2018 V2R in TNBK and it seemed to be as clean inside as it was outside and the paint finish was excellent and their were no quirkey mismatched drop outs or misalignments on any part of the frame. The threads on the BB didnt have to be chased either. I was pleasantly surprised after all the reading I have done on this forum my expectations were not all that high. Hope this helps.
Thank you! Yes, this helps a lot!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

mag wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:55 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Haha, I am at that age where it is perilous to look at any photo without my spectacles. :D Expanding the thumbs wouldn't hurt either.
Ok, so I take the Shimano part back but I still want to know about the mirror.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

edwardk

by edwardk

robertbb wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:24 am
I know this is a C64 thread but I wouldn't mind hearing your (or your partner's thoughts) on the construction/finish quality of the V2-R...

Did you get a chance to see inside the frame at all? What is the finish like in there... as good inside as outside, or did it look rough/messy?
— I confess that I didn’t look inside the V2-R. This was a surprise present; I grabbed the box from the delivery guy and raced over to my mechanic with it before my partner had a chance to ask what was inside the box. The exterior finish looks very good to me.

Edward

edwardk

by edwardk

mag wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:29 am
Are those CeramicSpeed bearings of the same dimensions as the original Campy ones or are they of some different outer diameter or width?
The CeramicSpeed bearings press onto the Campy cranks, just like Campy bearings do. Campy cranks come with their own bearings already pressed onto the cranks, so one needs to find the expensive Park Tool Campy bearing puller (or equivalent) to remove the Campy bearings. The CeramicSpeed Campy / T45 ( what Colnago calls ThreadFit 82.5) setup comes with a threaded BB cup whose ID matches the OD of the bearings.

Hmm. That might not be my most lucent explanation ever. This picture should help:

https://www.ceramicspeed.com/en/sport/s ... 5-campy-ut

I hope that makes some sense.

In my case, the CeramicSpeed bearing set (threaded cups and bearings) came only with their plastic tool. I do wish that Colnago and CeramicSpeed had agreed on a single standard for the design oftbe splines on the BB cups.

Edward

edwardk

by edwardk

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:26 am
mag wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:55 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Haha, I am at that age where it is perilous to look at any photo without my spectacles. :D Expanding the thumbs wouldn't hurt either.
Ok, so I take the Shimano part back but I still want to know about the mirror.
The group in fact is Campy 12 speed, not Shimano.

Gilles Berthoud is a French manufacturer of traditional panniers, leather saddles, etc. In the US, Compass Cycles carries a lot of Berthould gear, including the little bar end mirrors. They obviously are inconsistent with a true Weight Weenie approach to life, but I find them useful in keeping an eye on fellow riders or activities behind me.

Edward

guyc

by guyc

Good to see you on the mend and lovely bike. Safe riding and I hope the recovery continues.

As for Shimano on a Colnago? Suck it up...

mag

by mag

Re bearings: I mean when you place those Campy and CeramicSpeed bearings next to each other, are there any differences in their dimensions? Their inner diameters would be the same, but how about their outer diameters and widths?

Sapateira

by Sapateira

Nice build, I love the looks of this bike, a dream! But I ask you, you can do a litle "review" about the new 12 s Campagnolo? Because I want one but I want know more about for a person wo alredy use the groupe.

Thanks

edwardk

by edwardk

mag wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:27 am
Re bearings: I mean when you place those Campy and CeramicSpeed bearings next to each other, are there any differences in their dimensions? Their inner diameters would be the same, but how about their outer diameters and widths?
I believe they are identical in all dimensions, but I didn’t hold them against each other to be certain of that.

Edward

edwardk

by edwardk

Sapateira wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:34 pm
Nice build, I love the looks of this bike, a dream! But I ask you, you can do a litle "review" about the new 12 s Campagnolo? Because I want one but I want know more about for a person wo alredy use the groupe.

Thanks
I don’t know that I have anything terribly insightful to say about Campy 12 speed. I bought it so that you all wouldn’t berate me for putting anything else on the C64.

The Camoy 12 speed works flawlessly, and particularly in light of my current state of un-fitness I enjoy having a 32 cog in the back. I migrated from Campy 10 speed straight to SRAM Wi-Fli, but the new Campy definitely reminds me of the old group in its strong tactile feedback. The ergonomics seem to me to be well thought out. Really my only complaint is the great expense of buying still another chain tool. Do I notice a more seamless experience with 12 rather than 11 cogs? Not really, as I long ago discovered that my legs had the ability to adjust their rotational speed, at least across modest parameters.

Edward

edwardk

by edwardk

edwardk wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:29 pm
Sapateira wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Thanks
I don’t know that I have anything terribly insightful to say about Campy 12 speed. I bought it so that you all wouldn’t berate me for putting anything else on the C64.

The Camoy 12 speed works flawlessly, and particularly in light of my current state of un-fitness I enjoy having a 32 cog in the back. I migrated from Campy 10 speed straight to SRAM Wi-Fli, but the new Campy definitely reminds me of the old group in its strong tactile feedback. The ergonomics seem to me to be well thought out. Really my only complaint is the great expense of buying still another chain tool. Do I notice a more seamless experience with 12 rather than 11 cogs? Not really, as I long ago discovered that my legs had the ability to adjust their rotational speed, at least across modest parameters.

Edward
-- I should add that the disc brakes are great. They have good modulation. I've had zero issues so far with squealing, which to my way of thinking is the surest way known to man to ruin a ride.

robertbb

by robertbb

edwardk wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:55 am

The CeramicSpeed bearings press onto the Campy cranks, just like Campy bearings do. Campy cranks come with their own bearings already pressed onto the cranks, so one needs to find the expensive Park Tool Campy bearing puller (or equivalent) to remove the Campy bearings.
I picked up a Super-B Ultra Torque bearing remover and press for AU$90. Havn't used it yet, but it's well designed and built, and looks like it'll do the job well.

Sapateira

by Sapateira

edwardk tanks for your opinion, may be in the next two monts I buy one Record group, but until now I see the group but dont try and dont know some one wo have one and use. So talk with some wo have the group its good and tranqualizer.

One more time thanks

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I think your wife should post her V2R on here @edwardk Please!
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com