Colnago C64 -- A Belated Thank You

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

edwardk

by edwardk

Many months ago I asked for help in choosing the right frame size for the Colnago C64 of my dreams (disc brake version in Team Emirates colors, as it happens). (Thread here: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... go+c64+fit). I got a great deal of sensible advice, as well as very generous help from one forum member in sourcing my frame, and I want to thank everyone who contributed to that discussion. The advice was spot on.

In an interesting twist of fate, in the months between my ordering the frame and the arrival of the last bits and pieces (Campy 12 speed groups were greatly delayed in finding their way to the US), I became gravely ill and lost substantially all my fitness. I am only now beginning the very long road to recovery. My greatest fear is that Ernesto will see me on the bike ambling along at very modest speeds and will demand the return of his creation.

It follows that I can't say anything terribly intelligent for the time being about the high speed handling of the C64, but I can offer a few miscellaneous reactions to date. First, I think that perhaps Colnago's greatest strength is their really well thought out geometries, combined with the wide range of sizes they offer. Mine is a perfect fit. Moreover, overcome by guilt about my new C64, I bought my partner a V2-R. She is the fussiest person in the world when it comes to bike fit, and again we were easily able to get things dialed in to her satisfaction. I was concerned that she might find the V-2R too stiff, moving from a Specialized Roubaix, but in fact she is very happy with the new bike's feel.

We have 28mm tires on both bikes (Schwalbe tubeless for me, Vittoria Corsa G+ for her). There is just enough clearance on each bike -- the 28mm Conti tires I tried first for the V2-R in fact don't fit. I would have preferred a bit more clearance, but fortunately we ride in Southern California on relatively clean dry roads.

The C64 in its Team Emirates colors looks gorgeous, especially from a distance -- close up, the black raw carbon looks, well, raw, with whitish marks that don't seem to wash off. But this sort of thing doesn't bother me particularly.

The C64 of course handles well and feels very solid, in the low stress situations I've exposed it to so far. It isn't a natural featherweight. With Campy 12 speed (compact, 11x32 cassette), Hunt 30 disc wheels, Time Xpro 10 pedals, and alloyy bars and stem, the bike weighs 17.5 pounds (7.9 kg), ready to ride. But that's in line with my expectations.

I also like some of Colnago's technical features, like the Colnago threaded bottom bracket design. (Threadfit 82.5, I think they call it.) Here though Colnago really could have been more constructive. Despite their "partnership" with CeramicSpeed, each firm uses a slightly different design for the outer splines on the threaded bottom bracket, so each requires its own proprietary tool to remove or install the BB. CeramicSpeed also has a different name for the bottom bracket standard (T45). CeramicSpeed includes the plastic tool to install its version of the BB when you buy a BB from them, but Colnago no longer provides one with its frames (at least in the US), necessitating a scramble to find one to remove the BB that arrives threaded into the frame. This is a $1 part that Colnago should include with every frame, and Colnago and CeramicSpeed really should agree on one design for the splines.

The Campy 12 speed disc setup is pretty flawless, of course. I am particularly pleased that I have no brake squeal to contend with. It is a bit frustrating though to discover that one is now obligated to buy an enormously expensive new chain tool to remove and install the 12 speed chain, at least if one takes Campy's warnings seriously,

Overall I am very happy with my purchase. Now to recover enough fitness to be worthy of it!

Edward K

Shrike

by Shrike

Not sure if this is your first time losing fitness or not but either way, don't be disheartened. It comes back much faster than it was originally earned :P

Congrats on the bikes! Would looove to see pics of these two beauties 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

the 28mm Conti tires I tried first for the V2-R in fact don't fit.
28mm Contis usually measure out around 30-31mm so 25s that measure out to around 27mm should fit.

Congrats on the new Colnagos! Please post some pics.

micky

by micky

We want pictures!

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Very cool, I saw you dropping something off to Simon at the Cub House.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Pics. Glad u r better

edwardk

by edwardk

By popular demand, hurried snapshots attached. Still working on handlebars and other little issues. Bar end mirrors are Gilles Berthoud. I'll post better pix soon.

Edward K
Attachments
IMG_1002.jpg
IMG_1001.jpg

XCProMD

by XCProMD

As divisive as this bike seems to be, I love it and I find your build to be on the sensible side of awesome. Congrats

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Agree with @XCProMD. Come back after a while when you have some good miles on it to give us your thoughts. Well done.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Shrike

by Shrike

Gorgeous :)

robertbb

by robertbb

I know this is a C64 thread but I wouldn't mind hearing your (or your partner's thoughts) on the construction/finish quality of the V2-R...

Did you get a chance to see inside the frame at all? What is the finish like in there... as good inside as outside, or did it look rough/messy?

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

CeramicSpeed includes the plastic tool to install its version of the BB when you buy a BB from them, but Colnago no longer provides one with its frames (at least in the US), necessitating a scramble to find one to remove the BB that arrives threaded into the frame.

Actually when I purchased my CeramicSpeed BB it came with two plastic tools one of which fits their cups and the other which is slightly different fits the Colnago cups. Did you not see the second tool in the packaging @edwardk
When I picked up my frame the dealer loosened the Colnago cups off for me but I was still curious as to what the second tool was for and so I tried the tool in the cup and it fit.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

robertbb wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:24 am
I know this is a C64 thread but I wouldn't mind hearing your (or your partner's thoughts) on the construction/finish quality of the V2-R...

Did you get a chance to see inside the frame at all? What is the finish like in there... as good inside as outside, or did it look rough/messy?
I recently purchased the 2018 V2R in TNBK and it seemed to be as clean inside as it was outside and the paint finish was excellent and their were no quirkey mismatched drop outs or misalignments on any part of the frame. The threads on the BB didnt have to be chased either. I was pleasantly surprised after all the reading I have done on this forum my expectations were not all that high. Hope this helps.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

mag

by mag

Are those CeramicSpeed bearings of the same dimensions as the original Campy ones or are they of some different outer diameter or width?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

edwardk wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:02 pm
Bar end mirrors are Gilles Berthoud.
Edward K
Nice bike. Divisive I guess. Not sure I could ride around with "Emirates" on my bike unless I was Emerati.

And who is Gilles Berthoud? Is he the grand-daddy of all Freds? :P

*Edited to correct for apparently failing eyesight - yes that is Campy, and 12 speed no less!
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.