Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

FSC45CM-28 Inner width is 19.5mm, by farsports. Do these (outer 28mm) accomodate 23mm tyres? Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

vejnemojnen wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:30 pm
FSC45CM-28 Inner width is 19.5mm, by farsports. Do these (outer 28mm) accomodate 23mm tyres? Thanks

I mean, you physically could attach a 23 tire, but why would you want to? I'd be concerned that a 19.5mm inner with is *way* outside the design specs of most 23mm tires.

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

Anyone shop on Amazon for wheels? I have hundreds of dollars in gift cards accumulated for Amazon over the years and figured I see what's available.

I haven't been able to find a set of carbon wheels with the following specs yet:
  • 700c, rim brake
    19mm or greater inner width
    50mm+ depth
Anyone had success finding these via Amazon sellers?

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

ericoschmitt wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:55 pm
Oh well.. not sure. But BTLOS says they will in 11/11 so I'll wait for it and decide until then.
BTLOS wheels do look interesting as well, if their sale brings pricing down to Farsports levels then I'd be interested.

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

GlacialPace wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:08 pm
ericoschmitt wrote:
Oh well.. not sure. But BTLOS says they will in 11/11 so I'll wait for it and decide until then.
BTLOS wheels do look interesting as well, if their sale brings pricing down to Farsports levels then I'd be interested.
15% they say. So thats $756 for 60mm on the lightest build (bitex hubs)

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

ericoschmitt wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:20 am
GlacialPace wrote:
ericoschmitt wrote:
It's getting close but Farsports is still cheaper for the equivalent wheel, and with Farsports you can get a Bitex hub that isn't quite as light but has bigger bearings in it which are also a standard size. BTLOS has textured brake track though, who knows if it's any good but it might provide better braking performance. Tough decision, I think they'll both be great.

Cattiy

by Cattiy

Any reason I should buy the LB rim instead of the Farsports rim? Especially with the upcoming 11/11 sale the Farsports wheelset will be cheaper.

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

Cattiy wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:19 pm
Any reason I should buy the LB rim instead of the Farsports rim? Especially with the upcoming 11/11 sale the Farsports wheelset will be cheaper.
Not as far as I can see, unless you want 28mm+ width and tubeless.

otoman

by otoman

Matt28NJ wrote:Anyone shop on Amazon for wheels? I have hundreds of dollars in gift cards accumulated for Amazon over the years and figured I see what's available.

I haven't been able to find a set of carbon wheels with the following specs yet:
  • 700c, rim brake
    19mm or greater inner width
    50mm+ depth
Anyone had success finding these via Amazon sellers?

I haven’t ever ordered wheels from amazon. The carbon clinchers all look like older open mold products with very few descriptions of upgraded brake tracks.

ICAN FL50 Carbon Road Bicycle Wheelset Clincher Tubeless Ready Rim Novatec AS511SB/FS522SB Hub Sapim CX Ray Spokes Only 1470g (Fast & Light Series) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E0QZYD2/re ... 5BbY6CVC83

That one is close to your criteria. All the others I saw were too narrow.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

fizzaz

by fizzaz

otoman wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:55 am

I haven’t ever ordered wheels from amazon. The carbon clinchers all look like older open mold products with very few descriptions of upgraded brake tracks.

ICAN FL50 Carbon Road Bicycle Wheelset Clincher Tubeless Ready Rim Novatec AS511SB/FS522SB Hub Sapim CX Ray Spokes Only 1470g (Fast & Light Series) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E0QZYD2/re ... 5BbY6CVC83

That one is close to your criteria. All the others I saw were too narrow.

I have a set of these. They have been decent wheels. Braking is ok and hubs are your normal bitex. They aren't built up that well, however. It took a few trips over to my buddy who is a superb wheel builder to get them to stay true and even then they are finicky.

Pinguin

by Pinguin

GlacialPace wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:58 am
ericoschmitt wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:20 am
GlacialPace wrote:
ericoschmitt wrote:
It's getting close but Farsports is still cheaper for the equivalent wheel, and with Farsports you can get a Bitex hub that isn't quite as light but has bigger bearings in it which are also a standard size. BTLOS has textured brake track though, who knows if it's any good but it might provide better braking performance. Tough decision, I think they'll both be great.
Who knew if a textured brake track is better or stay longer than a brake track what works ofer many years
Texture is new on the market and time will show whats better?

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:42 pm
When it comes to 105% rule, wheel selection is scarce for any tire wider than 28mm.

For disc there's Reynolds ATR at 32mm wide https://reynoldscycling.com/products/atr-700, Enve SES 4.5 AR at 30.5-31mm wide https://enve.com/products/ses-4-5-ar and Cannondale HollowGram KNOT64 at 32mm wide. Hunt is slated to release 36mm wide rim https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 4&t=153139

For rim, there's Venn Var at 30mm wide https://shop.venn-cycling.com/index.php ... bon-wheels, Roval CL50 at 29.4mm wide www.specialized.com/us/en/roval-cl-50-w ... 056-134230 and LB WR56C02 at 30mm wide www.lightbicycle.com/700C-V-shape-56mm- ... tible.html

I'm not aware of anything else out there when it comes wider than 30mm rim profile to contribute to 105% rule.
Thanks for posting that list! I'd combed the web a few months ago looking for rim brake 28mm+ rims and still wasn't aware of those new LBs or the Venns. They both look pretty sweet for those of us who want to keep a proper aero profile while running 28mm tires. I sent a message to LB looking for more pics and info on what their grooved brake tracks are like, as the stuff on their website all looked like it was picturing the disc configuration, and the description is rather vague. For instance, are the grooves running radially like on a Zipp Showstopper, or are they circumferential like a Mavic aluminum rim? Also, are they molded in, or machined after molding?

I don't expect you to have those answers, but was just curious if you have you seen any more pics or info floating around with more details.

kyleFu

by kyleFu

vejnemojnen wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:30 pm
28mm outer width is preferable for 25mm to 30mm tyre.

28mm external width, with 21mm inner width.
26mm external width, with 19mm inner width.
30mm external width, with 23mm inner width.
Farsports
https://www.wheelsfar.com
kyle(at)farsports.cn

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

TheKaiser wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:51 pm
I sent a message to LB looking for more pics and info on what their grooved brake tracks are like, as the stuff on their website all looked like it was picturing the disc configuration, and the description is rather vague. For instance, are the grooves running radially like on a Zipp Showstopper, or are they circumferential like a Mavic aluminum rim? Also, are they molded in, or machined after molding?
Replying to myself, I got pics of the new brake tracks from LB. Not sure if they are machined or molded yet, but I'd guess machined. They look pretty clearly "inspired" by the Zipp Showstopper brake tracks which have gotten pretty good reviews from what I've seen. LB also said their new use of graphene is not just in the brake tracks, but instead is graphene powder added to the resin, which is used on the whole rim structure. I'd be curious to know how much graphene changes the heat flow through the resin/fiber matrix. I know continuous graphene fibers are supposed to be great conductors, but in this sort of random orientataion it is tough to tell how much of a benefit it is without some real test data. It would be nice if it could help spread that heat out over the whole body of the rim rather than keeping it localized right in the most vulnerable and failure prone part, the brake track. Just thinking out loud, it could also make the resin stronger, even if it doesn't substantially change heat flow, although other companies (Easton jumps to mind) have tried doping their resin with carbon nano particles before and seem to have abanonded the tech without much explaination.

I'll try to attach the pics they sent here:
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Getting ready to order my Farsports wheels but I have to say that I'm tempted by the much cheaper CSC (Carbon Speed Cycle) wheels I see on Aliexpress. I may even order a 2nd pair to try.

Anyone have good luck with CSC? I live in a flat area. I'm not worried at all about overheating brake tracks.