Time Alpe D’Huez 01 vs. Time Scylon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Hunting for some information on the Time Alpe D’Huez 01 in particular - has anyone here ridden one or talked to someone who owns one?

My De Rosa Protos is a bit small so I'm in the market for a new bike. Though I didn't really like the ZXRS I'm still drawn to time mostly for their aesthetics. What I want is a racing weapon. I want something with superb power transfer - the more you hit it, the more it gives back; a bike that oozes subjective speed when you spin along, that never slouches. Comfort is secondary to responsiveness and power transfer. I've heard the Scylon has these characteristics. But the Huez is newer and therefore slightly more appealing than the Scylon. Your thoughts on the issue are appreciated!
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

I have skylon and I thing this is what you want the du huez is better for mountain climbers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

kgt

by kgt

It's simple really: AdH is lighter, less aero, a little less stiff, and a bit more comfortable than Scylon. Scylon is actually one of the stiffest frames available (there are a few numbers posted online if you search).
Last edited by kgt on Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

kgt wrote:It's simple really: AdH is lighter, less aero, a little less stiff, and a bit more comfortable than Scylon. Scylon is actually one of the stiffest frames available (there are a few numbers online if you search).
To throw a wrench here, consider this:

I suspect the Scylon is about to get re-done for next year when the new Look 795 Blade RS will also be hitting the market.ImageImageImageImage

kgt

by kgt

+1
A new Scylon is on the way according to the dealers.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

kgt wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:04 pm
+1
A new Scylon is on the way according to the dealers.
You're right, it is simple.

To wait or not to wait. Maybe the better idea is just to wait for a cheap Scylon rather than fork out bigger bucks for it. There is one of Pushys for $3500 Aud new. Paint job isnt once of the nice ones however.

I'm skeptical about measures of frame stiffness and how it translates into ride quality. If you could find me a link that would be cool however.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

DEADRE

by DEADRE

A few things about the Time Alp D' Huez,

1. When you pedel, it has that want's to go faster factor, very similar to a TIME VXRS, but a thad lighter, but lacking the ISP that VXRS has, that makes a difference in a climb.
2. As you can see the seat post has a zero set back. But if you look closely the horizontal piece that is inserted in the seatpost, Time made that piece longer vs. the typical zero setback seatpost it has 0" movement, it can be pushed forward / backward for a total of 1/2".
3. That piece of plastic that is placed on the collar of the frame / steering tube, it does not lay still. It turns when you turn the handle bars and it is so loose that you can fiddle it with your fingers and spin it.
4. The cable entrance at the down tube. It angles far out, that the cable shoots outward away from the frame & visually / aesthetically does not look good.

Bike is not fully set up yet, did not realized that I did not have any more handlebar tape.
Stem is going to be replaced w/ the Time stem to go hand in hand with the Time handle bars.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I’m afraid to ask how much does it weight as it!!

As for the cables. Seems to me that if you had crossed the cables before entering the frame that may not be such an issue. Same looks in my Colnago C60, but since the cables sweep to the opposite side before entering, it looks more “natural” I guess.

That bikes and choice of components is super hot AF!!!!

Seedster

by Seedster

Im a big fan of Time and their in house manufacturing. I really dig the lines of the Alp d’Huez. Can’t comment on the ride of either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zappafile123

by zappafile123

DEADRE wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:03 am
A few things about the Time Alp D' Huez,

1. When you pedel, it has that want's to go faster factor, very similar to a TIME VXRS, but a thad lighter, but lacking the ISP that VXRS has, that makes a difference in a climb.
Thanks for the photos and info!

Re: An update to the Skylon, it doesnt seems as though it will happen anytime soon as nothing was announced at Taipei and 2019 colourways have been released. That would suggest to me the update will come next year with availability about a year away?

AJS914

by AJS914

Is the top cap on the headset a piece of flexible rubber?

JeanMarc

by JeanMarc

https://www.time-sport.com/fr/time-alpe ... -2018.html

Great bike according to french users. Many stars...

DEADRE

by DEADRE

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:16 pm
Is the top cap on the headset a piece of flexible rubber?
It's a hard plastic & the top portion is a soft gel plastic (the top cap, its a carry over from the RXR or the VXRS Ulteam, I don't think it changed, but it did get longer vs. the old version)
By the way very heavy vs. a Schmolke top cap:

AJS914

by AJS914

Sorry, I guess I meant the piece right above the headset. It's a conical spacer on my bike but in this picture it looks like flexible rubber or something:

DEADRE

by DEADRE

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:55 am
Sorry, I guess I meant the piece right above the headset. It's a conical spacer on my bike but in this picture it looks like flexible rubber or something
It's a hard sturdy plastic. Time provides 2 version:
1. The one you see now if you are using spacers
2. The plastic is molded, specifically for TIME stems, if you were to slam the stem it would accomodate the bottom shape of it (sorry don't have a pic of that will down load the image when i get home)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com