Odds that we see disc brake only bikes go back to having rim offerings?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Would love to see the next gen Venge have rim brakes again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

5%
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:02 am
Fred... low odds. Highly unlikely.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Matt28NJ wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:20 am
CAAD8FRED wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:02 am
Fred... low odds. Highly unlikely.
So I'm a Fred for not wanting unnecessary parts and labor to deal with that no one needs to begin with? Fair assessment, carry on.

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:22 am
So I'm a Fred...
No bud, I called you 'FRED' because your forum name is "CAAD8FRED"

You may need to seek medical attention.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Matt28NJ wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:28 am
CAAD8FRED wrote:
So I'm a Fred...

others usually go with CAAD8 when calling by name, but ok

robertbb

by robertbb

Matt28NJ wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:28 am
CAAD8FRED wrote:
So I'm a Fred...

:lol:

Lewn777

by Lewn777

It all depends on money. 10%
If people keep buying rim bikes then they'll stay, but probably only on climbing bikes. The industry will probably force disks onto all aero bikes and lie about weight as they do now to make the difference seem less.

If a company makes money and gets kudos for continually allowing people to buy a bike they prefer then yes. But it depends on cost of manufacturing 2 kinds of bike vs increasing sales/advertising. For example if a big player like Trek or Canyon get positive feedback from having a rim bike whereas all the other manufacturers have deleted their rim line-ups that might be good for marketing. Some mountain bike brands tried this with the pointless 26"-27.5" debacle and stayed '26" 'fo life' to appeal to a cooler less marketing impressionable stoner type market.

Jugi

by Jugi

I think the manufacturers will be driving their products into ”basic and compatible” and ”highly integrated and proprietary” segments. Most likely the latter will be represented in the high end products and the lower tier is (of course) more basic in all solutions and manufacturing decisions.

The Venge is an interesting case example. If rim brakes won’t fade away completely from high end aero road bikes, I think it would be easiest for Specialized to introduce a completely new aero bike model (or next version of Allez Sprint?) and keep the Venge’s road plan on the same track it is now.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

as long as pros ride rim brakes, we can be calm and rest assured nobody will force us into riding discs.

some BS manufacturer introduces discs only bikes? well, chose another brand. it's that simple

AFAIK it's the weekend warriors who seem to be pushing the discs fwd, like the equipment change would make up for less riding/fitness. some men just want to see them rotors burn, but I don't think they'll prevail. of course once discs hit the market, they are going to stay for good, if only because of growing 'gravel' bike market. it's just like with mech/electronic - the two can live their separate lives without forcing anybody to pick one over another.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Wookski

by Wookski

In the near future the pros will be on discs and if not, they’ll be on “pro only” rim version of disc bikes available to the public (think Boonen’s white Roubaix). Rim brake development has already ceased, there’s no point in pretending change isn’t happening. There will always be custom makers willing to produce rim brake frames which is great because we all know factory bikes are for people with no dreams ;)

fogman

by fogman

In that case, I should probably stockpile some Campagnolo red rim brake pads since they won’t be available in a few years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

MoPho

by MoPho

tymon_tm wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:07 pm
AFAIK it's the weekend warriors who seem to be pushing the discs fwd, like the equipment change would make up for less riding/fitness.

You mean just like all the weekend warriors on this forum who think buying light weight bits or aero stuff will make up for less riding/fitness? :noidea:

Wookski wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:39 pm
There will always be custom makers willing to produce rim brake frames which is great because we all know factory bikes are for people with no dreams ;)

Yeah, but the pros don't ride those bikes, so they are obviously no good.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

tymon_tm wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:07 pm
as long as pros ride rim brakes, we can be calm and rest assured nobody will force us into riding discs.
+1

Saussiecycling

by Saussiecycling

When manufacturers design a QR system that allows quick wheel changes without discs rubbing the days of rim brakes will probably be numbered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com