Stem spacers - how to clean cockpit?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

hannawald, your spacer setup looks fine on your bike. Don't go trying to slam your stem with a setup that you can't ride.

My only suggestion is that I do not like to see the bars rotated so far upward. This is effectively moving the drops further away from you and you will probably use them less as a result. The optimal solution is to rotate the bars back down so the bottom part of the drop is either level or slightly sloping upward, then unwrap your bar tape and move the hoods up higher.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I like the second picture but it's such a minor difference that you should just do what you like.

People never mention arm length. If my arms were 2 or 3 cms. longer I could run my bike slammed with zero change in fit.

hannawald

by hannawald

Thinking about those HSS spacers...if i can put cca 1cm spacer below my FSA headset cover so it looks like part of the head tube...

Just don't understand how the system works, i can see spacers in the shops but not headtube cover..46mm diameter fits..

AJS914

by AJS914

That might help a bit. This is what my C59 looks like. I think the larger Colnago top cap makes it look a bit more balanced. I've tried going lower and ended up with neck pain so I brought it back up. I also got these slim Ritchey spacers and I like the look.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Maybe you could paint the conical spacer in Celeste so it would blend into frame?
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

hannawald

by hannawald

@AJ914 thanks for the photo, actually surprised that your top cap looks better that flat shaped even though it makes it even taller..

hannawald

by hannawald

TurboKoo: thanks for your idea..any idea where to get the colour mixed? It´s a very tricky colour, Bianchi unfortunately doesn´t sell it..

Lewn777

by Lewn777

On my old bike I cut the stem and slammed it. I wasn't in any discomfort but it was so low that I naturally just rode on the hoods all day. With my new bike and on my Roubaix, I have the bar higher and about 2.5cm of spacers and as a consequence naturally ride in the drops all day, therefore having a higher bar leads to a better average speed, but I lose a tad on descents.

Sort of counter intuative.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

You bought a bike with race fit, but you don't have that.
No idea you do anything on that bike. Either ride it as it is or buy a frame which is higher in head tube and has a short reach.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

hannawald

by hannawald

I am more than happy riding it:)

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Hello,
just as an idea:
argon 18 is using so called PRESS-FIT 3D SYSTEM:

"Extends positioning flexibility by offering 3 head tube heights for every frame size without sacrificing any rigidity; system preserves 5% and 11% more incremental frontal rigidity vs. standard spacers when the handlebar is set at 15mm and 25mm respectively" blabla....

https://www.argon18bike.com/uploads/fil ... um-pro.pdf

one must know that the headtubes of the gallium pro are so short, that even the most pros make use of this system.
imo aesthetical advantage: the "spacer" looks more like a part of the headtube, compared to classical spacers.
i really like this frame and am on the verge of purchasing one, but i would need h2 fit and one or two 5mm spacers and i am not shure if this still looks ok.

pro bikes:

AJS914

by AJS914

I love that red Argone. It's just a fatter spacer and I don't buy their 5-11% stiffer marketing. It reminds me of the Deda spacers posted above. It does look a lot better than a stack of skinny spacers in the same way that I think the larger Colnago 15mm conical top cap looks better than a flat top cap plus skinny spacers without a transition.

Remember where road bikes came from. Hinault would not win any slam the stem contest. This slam the stem thing only comes from Pros who ride a frame 2 sizes too small in order to contort into an aero postion. Buying a one size too large frame with extra stack so you can slam your stem isn't Pro.

Last edited by AJS914 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Good call on the top cap transitioning to spacer being key for a nice appearance. Black on black never hurts either.

My plan was to drop a bit farther, i am sure i could easily slam it, but right now i have two nice carbon spacers so i am in no rush. Plus, by bending my elbows on the drops, i am plenty low. This is a 90mm -17 stem. Frame is a size small.

Also note how i have my hoods dipped pretty far forward. I am decreasing the surface area that the wind sees as much as possible.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:49 pm
This slam the stem thing only comes from Pros who ride a frame 2 sizes too small in order to contort into an aero postion. Buying a one size too large frame with extra stack so you can slam your stem isn't Pro.

A sense some exaggeration in that sarcasm, but are pros really going for that much smaller frames? I assume that is with long stems and very offset seatposts? Is it all for the lower stack/aero?

I know in the tri/tt world people often are advised to lean to smaller because bikes are easier to “build up” than cut down, and frontal area is everything.

In the world cup cross country level, nino schurter stayed with 27.5 wheels for many years when others went 29er just so he could preserve his ultra low front. He finally went 29 as scott dropped the front height. He is my size (give or take body proportions) but runs a custom medium
Frame that is long and low.

AJS914

by AJS914

I think most Pros have downsized by at least one frame size if not two. They are running a deeper drop than the old days. To get that deeper drop they need less stack which means a smaller frame. The smaller frame comes with less reach so they make it up with a longer stem hence the propensity to see 13, 14, and the occasional 15cm stem in the peloton.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com