Aero data from 19 wheels by Hambini

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlok

by jlok

ryanw wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:40 am
A real shame. Hambini may not have been the most professional in some of his replies, but he's just a bloke doing this for others benefits. If you choose to take what he says as gospel, then that's up to you. Don't cnut him off just because you disagree. Walk the other way and don't read his posts, it's really that simple.

Tanhalt has been a complete d*ck in all of this and constantly antagonised Hambini, pressing his buttons and acting like a child.

It's pathetic.
Obviously he has bitten the T foul bait.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Hopefully this thread will continue to be monitored by the mods, as Hambini no longer has the opportunity to either defend his methods, or himself.

otoman

by otoman

Marin wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:08 am
Thanks. I also reported one post because I’m an overly pious, self-important (weight) weenie who is easily offended.
I changed your post for you. Thanks for contributing to running off Hambini. Well done. I hope he comes back as he has contributed far more to this forum than you ever will. What grade are you in? Reporting posts.... #smh. Grow a pair.

And tanhalt, I’m sure you feel a bit of smug satisfaction at the ban handed down. Your myopic, righteous indignation over his reporting methods grew extremely tiresome and repetitive. We get it. You’re a geeked out engineer type with a hard on for any data you deem not reported to some standard you hold dear. Give it a rest, go to a different thread. Ignore this thread.

The two of you should work together in some hyper-bureaucratic dead end in academia. You could kill innovation and independent thought on a daily basis there. :beerchug:
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

Marin

by Marin

otoman wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:23 pm
Well done. I hope he comes back as he has contributed far more to this forum than you ever will.
Thanks. I also hope he comes back, and while I think I have contributed a bit to this forum, I don't want in any way diminish Hambini's contribution.

I also want to mention Tom Anhalt's contribution to cycling knowledge. For many years he has been an excellent - and sometimes the only - source of tire rolling resistance data, long before others. For example, currently his is the only set of gravel tire RR data I know of - thanks for that.

Again, I hope Hambini returns, but I also hope he refrains from being extremely abusive to other forum members. He clearly has issues with controlling his emotions, and as we know, for some the percieved anonymity of the 'net makes it easier to write things they wouldn't say to a persons face. I assume/hope this is the case for you as well.

Svetty

by Svetty

What I find problematic is that Hambini has independently designed a testing protocol using his - and his collaborators - obvious aero expertise. This has challenged the established order - and a couple of makers in particular. I don't believe Hambini started out with an agenda and I suspect that his conclusions are valid.

Somewhat unsurprisingly the established order have then circled the wagons around their paradigm and attempted to discredit Hambini et al. Their collective baiting and defence (with or without vested interests) has ground him down to the point where he has 'cracked' and allowed his emotions to spill over.

Like many with a scientific mind (and possibly an element of the 'savant'?) his EQ is maybe not quite at the level of his IQ and this has left him ill-equipped to deal with the intense criticism from others with better people skills (the 'nice guys'). It's been a bit like watching a dog who has been repeatedly kicked finally snapping and biting the kicker - of course it is the dog that gets put down.

Sad.....
Last edited by Svetty on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kgt

by kgt

+1
Moderators took the wrong decision, again. They did not control all those unfounded attacks against hambini. They did not care to protect one of the most interesting, independent and fruitful threads in this forum. Now, they ban hambini as he had to accept all this.

I really cannot get it...

3Pio

by 3Pio

Interesting.. Someone spend his time, made an effort to do some research and post the data from it, and got banned... At least put in ur policy that if u are creative and tinking different then masses that will be banned at the end...

Hope Hambini will be back.. Few of really worth contributors to this forum...

mag

by mag

^ On the other hand, the fact that you spend your time and resources on getting and providing such data doesn't entitle you to behave in a questionable way let's say.
And especially once you publish such information which is in several ways challenging to what's been known to date, be prepared to be challenged yourself. You'll need patience and a lot of explaining.

Bassett

by Bassett

Svetty wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:10 pm
What I find problematic is that Hambini has independently designed a testing protocol using his - and his collaborators - obvious aero expertise. This has challenged the established order - and a couple of makers in particular. I don't believe Hambini started out with an agenda and I suspect that his conclusions are valid.

Somewhat unsurprisingly the established order have then circled the wagons around their paradigm and attempted to discredit Hambini et al. Their collective baiting and defence (with or without vested interests) has ground him down to the point where he has 'cracked' and allowed his emotions to spill over.

Like many with a scientific mind (and possibly an element of the 'savant'?) his EQ is maybe not quite at the level of his IQ and this has left him ill-equipped to deal with the intense criticism from others with better people skills (the 'nice guys'). It's been a bit like watching a dog who has been repeatedly kicked finally snapping and biting the kicker - of course it is the dog that gets put down.

Sad.....
+100

mattr

by mattr

mag wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:37 pm
And especially once you publish such information which is in several ways challenging to what's been known to date, be prepared to be challenged yourself. You'll need patience and a lot of explaining.
TBH, being challenged by those with only a basic understanding of what goes on takes more than just patience. Breaking stuff down into bite sized chunks is a skill in itself, which a lot of people a) don't have, b) don't really need and then c) come unstuck when they suddenly get thrust into an environment where they do need it.

Even now, after 15 years practice i still occasionally get an urge to just punch someone.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Hambini never started this thread. I think by the time hes been removed he no longer cared about posting here. To many were simply point scoring, trying to use anything they could to discredit the test and him. That is sad as that is not discusion. it trying to shut some one down. Now I dont think Hambini has handled critisim very well at all but tthere are two sides to a fallout and the "atmosphere" in this thread has been poor. We can diasgree without making it perosnal. The mods could have locked the thread 30 pages ago that could have been better way as it was clear by then the threads usefulness had expired.

Of course this means people may not bother putting the work in for everyone else now as simply whats the point.

mag

by mag

mattr wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:48 pm
mag wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:37 pm
TBH, being challenged by those with only a basic understanding of what goes on takes more than just patience. Breaking stuff down into bite sized chunks is a skill in itself, which a lot of people a) don't have, b) don't really need and then c) come unstuck when they suddenly get thrust into an environment where they do need it.

Even now, after 15 years practice i still occasionally get an urge to just punch someone.
You're right. In this case he should resort to just reiterating that this was a free time project fully done on a good will basis etc and that the data provided are mostly "for informative purposes". Add a decent description of how the testing protocol was established and why (it was initially missing in his article) and leave it as it is, just don't bother with it much more. Someone will appreciate the data, someone won't, whatever...

Stueys

by Stueys

I though the thread was great, very informative and I learnt a lot. But I think this is relatively simple - enthusiastic and passionate debate is fine, personal attacks and digs are not.

C36

by C36

IMO poor decisions but I also understand that managing a forum is everything but fun.

I would have raised a private warning and clean the off-topic messages.

Hambini has been pushed and then overreacted but it clearly didn’t come out of nowhere.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

C36 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:55 pm
I would have raised a private warning and clean the off-topic messages.

Hambini has been pushed and then overreacted but it clearly didn’t come out of nowhere.

Agree, I think this (a private warning and cleanup) would have been appropriate.

I think banning was the wrong choice and diminishes the value the forum creates.

But monitoring a forum is a thankless job.