Assos apparel questions

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
RTW
in the industry

by RTW

The Mille Ultraz uses our new membranes (NEOS) and the aesthetic is different. The price point is also lower, so it isn't a direct replacement. The Bonka is discontinued (aside from ProfBlack), so you might be able to find end of line bargains.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

guyc wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:06 am

This is a very good buy at the moment:

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Assos/ ... acket/EISR

Extra 10% off that makes it £126.
A very under-rated garment. Also as warm as the Bonka, but without the built in neck gator.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

RTW wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:13 am
guyc wrote:

A very under-rated garment. Also as warm as the Bonka, but without the built in neck gator.

Ordered. Looks like a great jacket! Went for a large since read it comes up a bit big.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Just seen Wiggle have given me 20% off so the new Mille Ultraz is £208 and normal Mille Winter is £172...
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

LionelB

by LionelB

RTW wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:13 am
guyc wrote:

If it was not black I would have one. Will stick with my Red Airjack for yet another season and enjoy the Michael Jackson look.

GaBa

by GaBa

ryanw wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:38 am
I'm 6ft, 85kg, 40-42" chest but like my kit tight... You're a bit taller than me, so I'm probably a little more boxy, so XL should work.

I'm normally a large in jackets and M/L in jerseys (Rapha, Maap, BlackSheep).
I’m 6ft as well but weigh ca. 10kg less. I have all my jackets and jerseys in size M. Not sure what my chest circumference is though.

Edit: obviously talking about Assos garments :)

KevinM

by KevinM

I’ve actually never bought an Assos jacket because I can’t figure out which one for which temps. I have to think there are many, many others with this same issue. I just bought a Gore jacket instead because they make it very clear.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

KevinM wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:36 pm
I’ve actually never bought an Assos jacket because I can’t figure out which one for which temps. I have to think there are many, many others with this same issue. I just bought a Gore jacket instead because they make it very clear.
There is a whole thread dedicated to it here! Nevermind. Perhaps when you get cold in the GORE jacket..... :shock: :lol: :wink:

KevinM

by KevinM

RTW wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:15 pm
KevinM wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:36 pm
There is a whole thread dedicated to it here! Nevermind. Perhaps when you get cold in the GORE jacket..... :shock: :lol: :wink:
I don’t know, I saw several people pointing out how needed this information is and how hard to understand the name of Assos products is, but no response agreeing and saying it would be changed to make things clearer. Here’s an example. We now have something called Fall. Is that Fall in Greenland, Texas, or Africa?

bilwit

by bilwit

my problem with Assos is that their horrendous designs are stuck in the 90s or early 2000s..

seriously, what the hell is going on here?
https://dbyvw4eroffpi.cloudfront.net/pr ... to-fit.jpg

kookie

by kookie

KevinM wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:33 pm
I don’t know, I saw several people pointing out how needed this information is and how hard to understand the name of Assos products is, but no response agreeing and saying it would be changed to make things clearer. Here’s an example. We now have something called Fall. Is that Fall in Greenland, Texas, or Africa?
Not sure if it still exists, Assos had temperature ranges for each season. Do a search for "assos als climarange'.

Climarange
Summer: >20*C
Spring/Fall: 12*C-22*C
Early Winter: 6*C-14*C
Winter: <6*C

My Adjustment for me in Canada
ShaSha: Summer: > 18*C
Tiburu: Fall/Spring: 9*C - 18*C
Habu: Early Winter: 0*C - 9*
Bonka: Winter: -9*C - 0*C
Extreme Winter: < -9*C

KevinM

by KevinM

kookie wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:26 pm
KevinM wrote:
Not sure if it still exists, Assos had temperature ranges for each season. Do a search for "assos als climarange'.

Climarange

This is super helpful. Thank you!

KevinM

by KevinM

bilwit wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:09 pm
my problem with Assos is that their horrendous designs are stuck in the 90s or early 2000s..

Ha! I actually love those. What dies that say about my age? 😂

I’m an Assos lover and own about 10 pairs of bibs across 4 ranges, but their jackets are just a complete mystery to me. And I must add that even though I try to sell their bibs to everyone I meet, snarky responses from Assos reps don’t exactly encourage me to go do the extra work to try to figure out the unnecessarily complex naming conventions for $250 jackets on my own! :noidea:

kode54

by kode54

yeah. i agree, although through trial and error, I have gotten most of their gear dialed in for my needs.

I use Assos bibs almost entirely and can comfortably choose between the different naming schemes for my rides. the jackets take a bit longer to get correct, although when its cold out and with changing weather, i almost always reach for Assos gear. it just performs well. all seasons for bottoms, but Winter, Fall and Spring...I have some type of Assos top on.

its a shame that most bike shops around me doesn't carry them. the closest one is in another state so trying them on or checking out the fabric, etc is out of the question. now that most online stores like Competitive Cyclist carries them, I can try them since they have a great return policy.

i'm older as well...but I surely don't like any of the jerseys they make because of their designs. when Assos came out with their ProfBlack series, you couldn't mess with that....a good design since its clean and minimal.
KevinM wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:47 pm
bilwit wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:09 pm

Ha! I actually love those. What dies that say about my age? 😂

I’m an Assos lover and own about 10 pairs of bibs across 4 ranges, but their jackets are just a complete mystery to me. And I must add that even though I try to sell their bibs to everyone I meet, snarky responses from Assos reps don’t exactly encourage me to go do the extra work to try to figure out the unnecessarily complex naming conventions for $250 jackets on my own! :noidea:
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c60rider

by c60rider

KevinM wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:43 pm
kookie wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:26 pm
KevinM wrote:

Climarange

This is super helpful. Thank you!
I know RTW said the Bonka is too warm for anything over 5 degrees but personally it's too cold for me at anything under about 5! I use that one, coupled with a winter long sleeved underlayer in temperatures of 5 to 10 degrees, yes I'm always cold! The Fugu jacket that Assos never seem to have replaced is what I use below 5 and colder. Now that is a brilliant jacket and I wonder why Assos dropped it and never replaced it. The Bonka is not a direct replacement to it in my experience.