Custom framesets popularity

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

What about all these custom brands/ builders.
Are they flavour of the month brands?

I looked at Tsubasa Crow and to some degree Berk and Argonaut, Sarto bla bla.
But it seems there's very few guys actually go custom.
Is it mostly due to price, or?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

IMHO custom is only for the few connoiseurs. Everyone else will just go for a frame from a big company which is very common, is pushed by marketing and is seen on the peloton.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

del
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

c60rider

by c60rider

Custom means you'll end up with a bike that is utterly unique that you'll never see a duplicate anywhere else that you know no one else owns. We can all tweak components to personalise a bike to some degree but there's nothing quite like the entire frame being personal. Buying off the peg is simple to do and can be just as expensive but personally there's nothing particularly special about it. Even my Colnago C60 doesn't feel anywhere like as special as my old steel bike. Years ago when steel frames was all there was then custom was pretty much what everyone did if you wanted a top end race bike. The argument some will use for going custom is you get a frame that fits you but with varied set back of seat post and stem length then unless you have the proportions of a gibbon or orangutan then there shouldn't be a problem finding a frame to fit. I can see benefits for both but I wouldn't buy custom purely to get a bike that fitted me perfectly more so to own something unique but personal to me. Each to their own and go with whatever suits you and your budget.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Custom is somewhat over hyped.. yes I’ve had one and there really is no reason if off the shelf is doable .. second bike is OTS and fits fine. Custom paint .. that’s different
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

sfo423

by sfo423

Do we have a thread of custom builders? Might be a good resource.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The biggest advantages of going custom is the custom geometry and custom fit. I define a ‘custom’ as not off the shelf geometry. If you look at Moots they mostly sell off-the-shelf bikes in standard geometries. This is done to save cost. It takes time to design a bike for a particular customer. Plus Moots is large enough for them to build to standard sizes. Smaller builders don’t build ahead to standard sizes.

I wanted comfort and stable handling in a bike. I find most standard ‘racing’ geometries to be too aggressive (too harsh of a ride quality and twitchy handling) for my riding enjoyment. So I went custom and I couldn’t be happier. Every aspect of my bike is perfect and exactly how I wanted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

c60rider wrote:Custom means you'll end up with a bike that is utterly unique that you'll never see a duplicate anywhere else that you know no one else owns. We can all tweak components to personalise a bike to some degree but there's nothing quite like the entire frame being personal. Buying off the peg is simple to do and can be just as expensive but personally there's nothing particularly special about it. Even my Colnago C60 doesn't feel anywhere like as special as my old steel bike. Years ago when steel frames was all there was then custom was pretty much what everyone did if you wanted a top end race bike. The argument some will use for going custom is you get a frame that fits you but with varied set back of seat post and stem length then unless you have the proportions of a gibbon or orangutan then there shouldn't be a problem finding a frame to fit. I can see benefits for both but I wouldn't buy custom purely to get a bike that fitted me perfectly more so to own something unique but personal to me. Each to their own and go with whatever suits you and your budget.
+1 I think most people can fit factory sizes with smart selection of components. Go custom if you want it to be amazing for your own taste, such as getting a mix of construction materials (English frames etc) getting custom paintwork or if you want an eclectic/specific mix of features (tire clearance, brake type, groupset specific, seatpost/clamp design).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RussellS

by RussellS

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:25 pm
But it seems there's very few guys actually go custom.
Is it mostly due to price, or?
Cost, yes. And the very simple fact about 99% of the population does not need a custom bike to fit them correctly. Most people are normal sized with normal height, normal limb proportions. So they fit factory made bikes perfectly fine. As for those advocating custom paint, I ask how many of them have custom painted houses or cars? You can easily do that. Why would people want/desire a custom painted bike, but live with a drab factory color car and plain painted house?

guyc

by guyc

It’s a fair bit cheaper to paint a bike than a house or a car. What a bizarre analogy.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Another consideration going custom is the rider’s weight. As a small rider I find that factory built bikes are too stiff and ride uncomfortably, even on the smaller sized frames. Going custom allows the builder to select the specific tubing to match the rider’s weight and riding style. Factory built bikes are overbuilt because they have to assume the worst scenario in terms of a rider’s weight. Overbuilt means more weight and extra stiffness that hinders ride quality. This is one of many reasons why I love my custom bike. Until you go through the process of getting and owning one you won’t know what you’re missing. From what I hear among the custom bike community is that current custom bike owners won’t ever consider buying a factory built bike. Last but not least, there are little details on my bike that I can’t get in a factory bike, like a T47 BB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

RussellS;
With custom you can get the fit and balance of the bike you want. Most custom bikes i've seen are a bit shorter and higher.
But sure, you can add a stack of spacers or use a shorter stem than optimal aso.
Some may go for bling paint aso. Personally i lean towards fit and ride feel. The latter may be the most difficult part as it's never easy to know what the builder consider stiff, fluid comfortable is compared to you.
Personally i find trends has taken over so R&D must work (Now i don't mean trend towards custom).
Price is a hard nut to crack for some (me) and also the day (if it comes) you'd want to sell it for another,... is a deathblow.
I have a Ti/carbon bike here which i've tried to part from, but it's more hassle than i like to deal with.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

RussellS

by RussellS

guyc wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:50 pm
It’s a fair bit cheaper to paint a bike than a house or a car. What a bizarre analogy.
Is it? A place called Jack Kane Custom Racing Bicycles requires a $1000 deposit to paint a frame. A place called Horse Brand requires a $400 deposit to paint a frame. Guessing the deposits don't even cover the cost of repainting. More money is required to get your bike back after repainting. Co-Motion charges $200 for one custom color paint job on a new bike. Waterford charges $700 to repaint a frame. Plus $125 for the fork. In the past I recall seeing commercials from Maaco I think that offered to repaint your car for $99. And I suspect if I called up any of the local body shops in town I could get a car painted for a couple hundred. Any color I wanted. House painting requires about 20 gallons of paint. $10-25 per gallon. Haven't looked at house painting recently. But I think you could find people to paint a single story house for a few hundred dollars.

So its cheaper to repaint a house or car than a bike. So the quiestion reamins, WHY aren't the people clamoring for custom painted bikes repainting their cars and houses? Those items stand out more than a bike and they could get a lot more attention for cheaper. Why aren't they doing it if they believe what they wrote?

angrylegs

by angrylegs

[deleted]

ernestkus

by ernestkus

I'd say from a 'need' standpoint, if you have problem with your fitting, it's probably worth to go custom. Otherwise, I'm sure you can find something for your need. As for paint, I'm sure you can find someone who can paint them as you like

The downside of buying branded bike is you will constantly exposed with new model, new colorway, new tech, etc. So what is brand new today, next year probably looks like junk. And not to mention plenty of people have the same bike as you

As for custom carbon bike, what I see most of the builder use tube to tube construction. Basicly the buy long tubes, cut them to desired length, glue them to carbon lugs. They don't have a custom mold, except parlee or guru I think, and then they apply finishing touch, either it's more carbon layer, or some paint. Performance wise I dont think it will be better than brand name carbon bike, considering their R&D and ability to make custom carbon mold

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com